Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy arrested outside a youth club with an imitation shotgun

• 23-10-2012 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Read this in the Indo today that a foreign national wearing camo gear and carrying an imitation shotgun was arrested for scaring kids outside a youth club. What's the betting that it was an airsoft shotgun and this muppet will now give us all a bad name, AND make cops wary of anyone in possession of an airsoft gun. Makes me think hard about wearing my camo gear in the car when driving to and from skirmishes, and drawing the Gardais attention to me. If I was stopped by the cops and they checked in my cars boot and saw two assault rifles and a 9mm pistol, I think I'd be answering questions for a while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Read this in the Indo today that a foreign national wearing camo gear and carrying an imitation shotgun was arrested for scaring kids outside a youth club. What's the betting that it was an airsoft shotgun and this muppet will now give us all a bad name, AND make cops wary of anyone in possession of an airsoft gun. Makes me think hard about wearing my camo gear in the car when driving to and from skirmishes, and drawing the Gardais attention to me. If I was stopped by the cops and they checked in my cars boot and saw two imitation assault rifles and a 9mm pistol, I think I'd be answering questions for a while.

fyp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Read this in the Indo today that a foreign national wearing camo gear and carrying an imitation shotgun was arrested for scaring kids outside a youth club. What's the betting that it was an airsoft shotgun and this muppet will now give us all a bad name, AND make cops wary of anyone in possession of an airsoft gun. Makes me think hard about wearing my camo gear in the car when driving to and from skirmishes, and drawing the Gardais attention to me. If I was stopped by the cops and they checked in my cars boot and saw two assault rifles and a 9mm pistol, I think I'd be answering questions for a while.

Your not doing anything wrong once they are not visible.

We have laws to deal with idiots like this, lets support their use in such cases and hope this sends a clear message that RIF are not to be produced in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

For clarification, my aeg's are kept in gun bags, under a blanket in my boot. Can't keep them anymore out of sight than that. It's just that with an idiot like that guy brandishing what may be an airsoft gun, it could draw unwanted attention to the sport and then we'd have the powers that be (politicians) cracking down on the sport. And we all know that they'd only be too happy to direct attention away from the state of the country and how they are screwing it up:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The government don't need an excuse to crack down on airsoft, they could do it at any time they choose, things like this have happened before..I think the gov realise that it's the individual at fault and not airsoft.

Blay wrote: »
    The government don't need an excuse to crack down on airsoft, they could do it at any time they choose, things like this have happened before..I think the gov realise that it's the individual at fault and not airsoft.

Have to disagree with you there. Politicians by their nature are publicity seeking hounds who would only love to latch onto something like this to express their "shock and outrage at a dangerous imitation firearm scaring children" and before you know it, licensing would be introduced, a 0.5 joule limit etc etc.

• Advertisement

licensing would be introduced, a 0.5 joule limit etc etc.
    a RIF is a RIF regardless of its power output (if any).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Have to disagree with you there. Politicians by their nature are publicity seeking hounds who would only love to latch onto something like this to express their "shock and outrage at a dangerous imitation firearm scaring children" and before you know it, licensing would be introduced, a 0.5 joule limit etc etc.

Not at all, with the way the country is at the moment airsoft is the very bottom of the ever growing list of problems in the country. All though having said that they could introduce an airsoft tax, don't ask me how it could work but I bet they could find a way......:D

A small toy gun bought by a parent for their son in a toy shop can still resemble a firearm yet kids are still running around being kids pretending to cops and robbers and all that essentially being kids, the plastic toy when used in a threatening behavior in the hands of a pleb at first glance will appear real.

RIF's are dangerous in the sense that they can put the fear of god into you but are not lethal, you can walk into any hardware shop and purchase a variety of tools from craft knives, screwdrivers to hammers using them as lethal weapons.

You're making the mistake of thinking the government need an excuse to ban airsoft..they don't, the legislation permits the Minister to ban it outright at his discretion. Alan Shatter could wake up tomorrow and come down like a ton of bricks on airsoft...the import ban is a part of that..restricting imports to retailers that can be shut by ministerial order at any time. Look what his predecessor did with RS, shooters had their sport wiped out on the excuse that legally held pistols were responsible for gangland killings despite the fact not one pistol had ever been stolen in Ireland..it was just Dermot Ahern's whim. The government hold all the cards with airsoft and RS and they play them whenever they feel like it, they don't need reasons. Obviously things like this don't help matters but I doubt one incident like this will lead to airsoft being banned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

thermo wrote: »
    a RIF is a RIF regardless of its power output (if any).
    Well...

Technically that's not quite true. It's only a RIF if its <1J, if it's >1J then it's a F. :)

Steve wrote: »
    Well...

Technically that's not quite true. It's only a RIF if its <1J, if it's >1J then it's a F. :)

yes and no, you have non projectile firing guns such as a film prop guns, its still a RIF but has no output.

anyhow the point i was so badly making was a rif is a rif in the eyes of the powers that be, if they get a bee in their bonnet regarding airsoft they are more likely to ban them altogether rather than changing the limit to a lower one. and as for licensing ....................... :eek:

• Advertisement

RIF's are dangerous in the sense that they can put the fear of god into you but are not lethal, you can walk into any hardware shop and purchase a variety of tools from craft knives, screwdrivers to hammers using them as lethal weapons.

I agree that pretty much anything can be used as a weapon but I'd still say that an aeg can be lethal, why else do we wear eye protection? If my aeg or pistol can hole a coke can, then getting a direct hit in the eye could result in the bb penetrating into the brain. Pretty morbid I know but I have gotten a hit on my glasses at less than two metres and the power of it hitting the lens was "eye opening" - excuse the pun;)

I agree that pretty much anything can be used as a weapon but I'd still say that an aeg can be lethal, why else do we wear eye protection? If my aeg or pistol can hole a coke can, then getting a direct hit in the eye could result in the bb penetrating into the brain. Pretty morbid I know but I have gotten a hit on my glasses at less than two metres and the power of it hitting the lens was "eye opening" - excuse the pun;)

Takes 1.3J to penetrate the eye so you're safe even with a direct hit to an exposed eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

Makes me think hard about wearing my camo gear in the car when driving to and from skirmishes, and drawing the Gardais attention to me. If I was stopped by the cops and they checked in my cars boot and saw two assault rifles and a 9mm pistol, I think I'd be answering questions for a while.
    fayer wrote: »
    Your not doing anything wrong once they are not visible.

We have laws to deal with idiots like this, lets support their use in such cases and hope this sends a clear message that RIF are not to be produced in public.

I think I should clear something up here. A few months back I had an encounter with the Gardai while dropping home some colleagues from work at 1.30 on a Mon morn. I was followed for approx 5 mins before they decided to pull me over. To cut a long story short, my one "crime" was not to be carrying my drivers license on me. While receiving my tongue lashing, and after they'd carried out all their background checks on me I was told to step out of the car. While sitting in my car, the other officer had proceeded to search my boot without my consent. In my boot was my Magpul Masada in its gun bag. The Gardai had opened the gun bag and had takin out the Masada. Then the fun began. I was asked what it was, so I proceeded to tell them it was and airsoft gun. I was then told that by carrying it in my boot I was breaking the law and that by not having a license for it I was also breaking the law, to which I know both were untrue and explained to him that I was very well versed on the laws of airsoft and knew I hadn't broken any laws. He then threatened to confiscate the Masada and in his own words "send it for testing where I could be waiting 7-12 months before I saw it again". As my Masada is worth a pretty penny with all its upgrades I figured now was a good time to shut my mouth, something I found very difficult to do:D

Anyway, I made a complaint to the Gardai Ombudsman and on reviewing the complaint I explained how annoyed I was with how I was threatened in this manner to have my aeg confiscated when I had done nothing wrong and the threat of not returning it for up to a year. The officer reviewing the case did say they should not under any circumstances have searched my boot without citing why they were searching it and under what law, which they failed to do. But, here it is, he did say the gardai were well within their rights to confiscate my aeg, irregardless of me breaking any law or not and send it for ballistics testing.

So, it seems whether or not your doing anything wrong if your pulled over by the Gardai on your way to a skirmish and decide to search your car, they can at a whim, confiscate your guns without you having broken any laws, something that would concern me a bit

On another note, I was recently informed the officers involved that night are now being investigated by the Ombudsman for their treatment of me on the night in question, something I had thought would be brushed under the carpet. Maybe there is justice after all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

jayod30 wrote: »
    the gardai were well within their rights to confiscate my aeg, irregardless of me breaking any law or not and send it for ballistics testing.

Yes, they are. However it is still your property, and they must provide proof of confiscation, such as who they are (name and badge number etc) as well as an official receipt. If you do not get a receipt, it is gone forever, unfortunately.

Like yourself I have a lot of expensive gear, and if I was being told it would be confiscated I would ask for receipt immediately, and if I was told that I wasn't being given a receipt I would refuse to hand it over. I would let them take me down to the station and arrest me, as they have no ground to stand on for not giving you a receipt (they are required to provide one).

But yes, they can confiscate. In my opinion it's just a matter of showing them that it's more work to take it off you - sounds ridiculous, but everyone wants an easy life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

You genuinely have more chance of being fatally injured while shaving, than by an airsoft device. This isn't an argument for, or against, airsoft. It's just baseless comparison without any deference to facts. You can say it all you want, but it won't change basic physics.

What people fail to realise is that you can beef up a Nerf gun to fire over 1J with some duct tape and a bit of plastic tube, and the result will count as a firearm. Hell, some of them already do, but they're not chronograph tested because, well, they're seen as toys.

jayod30 wrote: »
    the gardai were well within their rights to confiscate my aeg, irregardless of me breaking any law or not and send it for ballistics testing.

If a Garda (lawfully) comes across a RIF in your possession , or has reasonable suspicion you are concealing something that may constitute an offence and finds an RIF they are entitled to have it tested for legality. The last devices I saw tested (4 weeks ago) were tested within a week.

His behaviour was unacceptable for sure, all we can do as a community is be reasonable, stay calm and educate the Guards via official channels.

The IAA will be meeting the Guard's representatives for firearms in the coming months, one of the agenda items is to create an education pack on Airsoft and RIF for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Just to reiterate again that the above is entirely inaccurate.

The topic has been done to death in the past and there is actually legal record within the British House of Commons, Home Affairs Second Report, dated the 6th of April 2000, Appendix 1 Section b which declares that projectiles with a muzzle energy of less than 1.35j are "incapable of penetrating even vulnerable parts of the body, such as the eye, although a direct hit from very close range would cause bruising".

There above quote is taken verbatim from the report cited and is the conclusion of the British home office and forensic science services.

Further to this there is forensic concensus within the Control of Firearms in Northern Ireland, and Draft Firearms (Northern Ireland) Order 2002, paragraph 32, that the minimum muzzle energy required to inflict a penetrating wound lies between 2.2 and 3 ft.lbs, or 3-4 joules.

This, just to cause a "penetrating" injury - the threshold for lethality is many times greater than that again!

In short - the limit is set to 1J for very good bloody reasons and, Dave Prosperous, asserting lethal capacity on a public forum with absolutely no grounds for any such assertion serves, not only to highlight your simply incredulous lack of knowledge of human biology, but futher casts doubt over the safety of our sport and the tools we use in order to engage in it.

I would strongly suggest that you amend, retract, or otherwise correct your previous assertion. Myself and several others have worked long and hard in order to remove such prejudice from the face of the sport and you right now are only serving to undo all that work - and on what grounds??? you thought that it smacked awfully hard against your glasses once??

I'm happy to apologise for getting worked up by this - but there's simply been FAR too much time and effort put into researching, validating and distributing the evidence cited above for this sort of statement NOT to boil my piss!! :mad::mad:

For those that dont know (I see many new names on this forum)

Extremetaz is one of the founder of the IAA, and along with others saved Airsoft when the government initially tried to take action against the sport.

(He knows his ****)

;)

Inari wrote: »
    Yes, they are. However it is still your property, and they must provide proof of confiscation, such as who they are (name and badge number etc) as well as an official receipt. If you do not get a receipt, it is gone forever, unfortunately.

Like yourself I have a lot of expensive gear, and if I was being told it would be confiscated I would ask for receipt immediately, and if I was told that I wasn't being given a receipt I would refuse to hand it over. I would let them take me down to the station and arrest me, as they have no ground to stand on for not giving you a receipt (they are required to provide one).

But yes, they can confiscate. In my opinion it's just a matter of showing them that it's more work to take it off you - sounds ridiculous, but everyone wants an easy life

Some sound advice there, thanks. Yes alot of my aegs are expensive pieces, between purchase and upgrades so having a Garda threaten to make it disappear for up to a year was a little worrying and quite annoying at his total abuse of the law
    fayer wrote: »
    The IAA will be meeting the Guard's representatives for firearms in the coming months, one of the agenda items is to create an education pack on Airsoft and RIF for them.

Good to hear, either the Garda in question was seriously out of touch or thought I hadn't an idea what was what when it came to the laws in question and was trying to put the fear of God in me. Tbh, I think I just got a bad egg, majority of police I've dealt with in the past whether it be through work or being pulled over have always been pretty cool

extremetaz wrote: »
    In short - the limit is set to 1J for very good bloody reasons and, Dave Prosperous, asserting lethal capacity on a public forum with absolutely no grounds for any such assertion serves, not only to highlight your simply incredulous lack of knowledge of human biology, but futher casts doubt over the safety of our sport and the tools we use in order to engage in it.

I would strongly suggest that you amend, retract, or otherwise correct your previous assertion. Myself and several others have worked long and hard in order to remove such prejudice from the face of the sport and you right now are only serving to undo all that work - and on what grounds??? you thought that it smacked awfully hard against your glasses once??

I'm happy to apologise for getting worked up by this - but there's simply been FAR too much time and effort put into researching, validating and distributing the evidence cited above for this sort of statement NOT to boil my piss!! :mad::mad:

I don't think what Dave was doing was trying to be malicious, misguided yes, but malicious I highly doubt. I don't know him personally, but as a regular boards user I do know he's pretty new to the sport and from any of his previous posts has always been eager to learn, ask questions and have a real positive view and outlook on the sport, unlike some of us who love to have a good bitch and moan every now and then:) When you don't have the facts at your disposal it's easy to get the wrong idea. I to like Dave took a hit to my eye protection from less than 10 feet and can honestly say it was like taking a good solid punch to the eye. So, even though we know he's wrong in what he's saying, I can see why he would think this! I think he'll most definitely know better for future reference:D

• Advertisement

Whoa....... easy there Extreme. My "opinion" was that if my pistol or aeg can punch a hole in an aluminium coke can at 20 metres (and all my guns are under the 1 joule limit btw), then what chance has an exposed eyeball? If you say that this is impossible, then have I wasted a lot of money on glasses?. I took a direct hit from very close range straight into my first set of glasses and it was, like Jayod said, a punch to the head. I was momentarily stunned even as the shooter was screaming "take your hits". I decided to buy another pair of glasses after that incident in case there was a chance the first pair had been weakened by this shot. Overkill?, Too cautious?, maybe, but I can send you dozens of coke cans with holes in them which has made me cautious.

Last word, as these things can get waaaaay out of hand on Boards;), I simply believed (and still do!) that a piece of metal is stronger than a cornea with some aqueous humour behind it. Never thought the eyeball could be like supermans with bb's bouncing off it:D. Joke btw.:)

Last word, as these things can get waaaaay out of hand on Boards;), I simply believed (and still do!) that a piece of metal is stronger than a cornea with some aqueous humour behind it. Never thought the eyeball would be like supermans with bb's bouncing off it:D. Joke btw.:)

The eyeball will yield to the blow and distribute the impact across its surface, the can will just puncture. Your eye and your life is safe at 1J.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭General Grobel

Whoa....... easy there Extreme. My "opinion" was that if my pistol or aeg can punch a hole in an aluminium coke can at 20 metres (and all my guns are under the 1 joule limit btw), then what chance has an exposed eyeball? If you say that this is impossible, then have I wasted a lot of money on glasses?. I took a direct hit from very close range straight into my first set of glasses and it was, like Jayod said, a punch to the head. I was momentarily stunned even as the shooter was screaming "take your hits". I decided to buy another pair of glasses after that incident in case there was a chance the first pair had been weakened by this shot. Overkill?, Too cautious?, maybe, but I can send you dozens of coke cans with holes in them which has made me cautious.

Last word, as these things can get waaaaay out of hand on Boards;), I simply believed (and still do!) that a piece of metal is stronger than a cornea with some aqueous humour behind it. Never thought the eyeball could be like supermans with bb's bouncing off it:D. Joke btw.:)

We wear glasses because it would hurt a hell of a lot to get shot in the eye, and would cause bruising and potentially lasting damage to the structure of the eye. However, a BB isn't going to magically pierce your eyebal at 1j. And even if it could, it would have to go all the way through the eye, AND through bone (please look at a picture of a human skull if you are unsure). As for punching a hole in a coke-can at 20 meters, that sounds rather dubious. It would have to be an unopened can, and even then that sounds sketchy, well none of my RIFs can do that, they struggle to pierce one side at point-blank. Also, I got shot in the glasses plenty of times, once with a tri-shot. The only time I was ever ''stunned'' by a BB was when I got shot in temple and got a migraine.

Sorry to get all ranty, but I get annoyed when people think their personal, subjective and thus fallible experiences equate to verifiable, scientific fact, not to mention common sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Dave, that's pretty much what this proves, you learn something ever day..;)

The rest of ye, calm down a bit please. This forum exists to discuss and educate about Airsoft in a calm and friendly manner, please respect that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

The surface of your eye is actually quite resilient, moreso than most of your skin surface. It's just that there are a lot of nerve endings, so it hurts like buggery.

If you take a look at the UK Home office's report on this (http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.com/pa/cm199900/cmselect/cmhaff/95/9504.htm) - What it says is "The Home Office and the Forensic Science Service considers that the lowest level of muzzle energy capable of inflicting a penetrating wound is one foot pound (or about 1.35 joules): below these power levels, weapons are "incapable of penetrating even vulnerable parts of the body, such as the eye".[54] However, more recent analysis by the Forensic Science Agency for Northern Ireland has indicated that a more reasonable assessment of the minimum muzzle energy required to inflict a penetrating wound lies between 2.2 and 3.0 ft/lb (3-4 J)." -- A penetrating wound means it actually goes into the skin, so I'd say the second estimate is a little more on the ball, if at either is.

A coke can isn't the same as your skin - metal is harder than flesh in the general sense, but flesh is very good at dissipating impacts, much better than a (relatively) brittle metal can.

In short, there's absolutely no chance even a bb at point blank to an unprotected eye could do the damage you're talking about.

Whoa....... easy there Extreme. My "opinion" was that if my pistol or aeg can punch a hole in an aluminium coke can at 20 metres (and all my guns are under the 1 joule limit btw), then what chance has an exposed eyeball?

Your opinion is unfounded and uninformed - I have corrected this with scientific evidence given weight by legal recognition.

When you can back your opinion up with such, THEN I'll reconsider my position that your expressed opinion serves to do anything but undermine the (entirely correct and hard fought for) perception of our sport as an entirely safe and healthy hobby.

If you say that this is impossible, then have I wasted a lot of money on glasses?. .... Overkill?, Too cautious?, maybe, but I can send you dozens of coke cans with holes in them which has made me cautious.

Not even in the least, you don't want a bruised eyeball, it's nobody's idea of a good time - however, at the point of conclusion of my research into the matter NOBODY in the world, anywhere, had suffered permanent degredation or loss of vision on account of a bb strike from a 1J airsoft device.

There was one incident I recall finding a refence for (I only cite what I can reference - I don't do hearsay or conjecture) where surgery was required for a detatched retina following a point blank shooting direct to the eyeball (it was part of a huge bullying case and was all over the news at the time), but after a few weeks, vision had returned to normal - the few weeks were required for the aqueous humour to clear itself of blood staining, which was the only resultant reason for the temporary degredation of sight.

The above account is the absolute worst case scenario of a 1J strike.

Rupture or penetration of the eyeball IS NOT POSSIBLE at these energy levels.

I simply believed (and still do!) that a piece of metal is stronger than a cornea with some aqueous humour behind it.

Yes, but that's exactly the problem isn't it.

Medical and forensic science, given weight by the law, say that you're wrong - yet still you refuse to acknowledge that the posting of your (proven!!) blatently incorrect assertions in the public domain casts aspersions regarding the safety of our sport.

Never thought.

Fixed that for you.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    A coke can isn't the same as your skin - metal is harder than flesh in the general sense, but flesh is very good at dissipating impacts, much better than a (relatively) brittle metal can.

Just to reiterate this bit - Gerrout is bang on and the word brittle is exactly the correct noun to use.

The harder something is, the more brittle it is, and therefore the more susceptible it is to fracture by a sharp impact.

The eyeball however is anything but hard. It is soft and mallable. It deforms and bounces back.

As Gerrout so eloquently put it, it'll "hurt like buggery" if you make it do it, but it will do it, and it will get over it in short enough order.

@ Jayod30: I'm perfectly willing to accept that Dave may, in general, be a perfectly appropriate poster - however this is not an issue that we, as a community, can allow the lines to be blurred on. Permitting the propogation of idle speculation suggesting that the tools of our sport have lethal capacity is simply something that we CANNOT allow to happen.

The intergral safety of our airsoft devices is paramount to our sport continuing to grow and speculation to the contrary will spread like a cancer among the uninitiated if allowed to do so.

I said earlier that the 1J limit was set as such for very good reasons - well there are also very good reasons why soooo much time and effort was put into sourcing the documents cited above (and you've NO IDEA how hard that was!!). Those documents were cornerstones to the legislative changes which the IAA achieved. They CANNOT be allowed to fall by the wayside.

For the love of christ people - think before you type!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Just to reiterate this bit - Gerrout is bang on and the word brittle is exactly the correct noun to use.

The harder something is, the more brittle it is, and therefore the more susceptible it is to fracture by a sharp impact.

The eyeball however is anything but hard. It is soft and mallable. It deforms and bounces back.

As Gerrout so eloquently put it, it'll "hurt like buggery" if you make it do it, but it will do it, and it will get over it in short enough order.

@ Jayod30: I'm perfectly willing to accept that Dave may, in general, be a perfectly appropriate poster - however this is not an issue that we, as a community, can allow the lines to be blurred on. Permitting the propogation of idle speculation suggesting that the tools of our sport have lethal capacity is simply something that we CANNOT allow to happen.

The intergral safety of our airsoft devices is paramount to our sport continuing to grow and speculation to the contrary will spread like a cancer among the uninitiated if allowed to do so.

I said earlier that the 1J limit was set as such for very good reasons - well there are also very good reasons why soooo much time and effort was put into sourcing the documents cited above (and you've NO IDEA how hard that was!!). Those documents were cornerstones to the legislative changes which the IAA achieved. They CANNOT be allowed to fall by the wayside.

For the love of christ people - think before you type!

What he said, except less aggro. Jaysis it's like 2009 all over again.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    What he said, except less aggro. Jaysis it's like 2009 all over again.

It was 2008 ya rookie ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

To paraphrase a popular catchphrase; Physics says no.
    Unlesa you can describe a way that it can happen using evidence rather than speculation, all scientific sources say you're wrong.

Advertisement