Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Original Cinema or "Picture House" on Main Street Swords

• 20-10-2012 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to garner as much info on the above as possible - its proving very difficult ! I'm not even sure of its name -please help !
    For those who dont know the original picture house in Swords was located roughly where Penneys is now on the main street in Swords - beside the Garda station . The building had many uses after the cinema closed and was finally knocked down in 1985 to make way for Superquinn . From what my dad says it was already closed as a cinema in 1963 when he came to Swords - probably a victim of the newly opened RTE .
    Most posters on this thread I presume (like me) are far too young to remember it in operation as a cinema - sadly if we do remember it it is as a derelict or semi derelict eyesore . What I'm asking really is for posters to ask parents/grandparents - older friends whatever for ANY info..maybe even some photos:o and post it all here or pm . Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

There's a photo of it on Facebook. I'll try post it for you here. I'll ask my father about it too for you :) [

It was called the Hector Bray Cinema apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

MugMugs wrote: »
    It was called the Hector Bray Cinema apparently
    Thanks- yeah saw that stuff . That's how my interest was rekindled actually :) . What makes me wonder about the name is the ONLY one mention of the phrase "Hector Bray Cinema " on the entire internet is on that one facebook page - oh and now here. I'm wondering is there a spelling error or something. I've tried Hector Bray and Brey - Hector Grey and Gray but no luck :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

desbrook wrote: »
    Thanks- yeah saw that stuff . That's how my interest was rekindled actually :) . What makes me wonder about the name is the ONLY one mention of the phrase "Hector Bray Cinema " on the entire internet is on that one facebook page - oh and now here. I'm wondering is there a spelling error or something. I've tried Hector Bray and Brey - Hector Grey and Gray but no luck :-(

I wonder if it may be worth asking the Irish Film Institute. They are concerned with the film industry in Ireland both modern and historical and someone, maybe a member there, may have some info that would help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I was in Chapters bookshop yesterday evening & they were selling a book downstairs ; a history of cinemas in Dublin - looked really interesting - lots of pictures & facts - I nearly bought it. Don't know if swords was in it but worth a trundle intotown.black book with red writing stack in columns on one of those bargain bays in the middle of the floor near the book ordering section. E6.99

Chapters is on the same street as Virgin Cinema now UCG or Odeon or whatever it's called this week.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys! Keep'm comin :-)

My parents weren't natives of Swords however arrived around 71 / 72.I remember my father telling me about the cinema and I'm almost sure that he had images of it too. I've asked him to try and dig them out for me and I'll interrogate him about the place during the week. I was only three when it was demolished. It was taken down for the construction of Superquinn..... The shopping centre that nobody knows how they got planning permission for! :D Any way, if he digs anything up I'll hit you back here with it.

MugMugs wrote: »
    My parents weren't natives of Swords however arrived around 71 / 72.I remember my father telling me about the cinema and I'm almost sure that he had images of it too. I've asked him to try and dig them out for me and I'll interrogate him about the place during the week. I was only three when it was demolished. It was taken down for the construction of Superquinn..... The shopping centre that nobody knows how they got planning permission for! :D Any way, if he digs anything up I'll hit you back here with it.
    Thanks Mugs. My late mam and dad often went to the cinema so it's strange that my dad is adamant it was closed when he came here. Maybe it closed for a while and reopened? I know it had several uses in the seventies including a carpet shop . Can just about remember the front portion being used as a sweet shop. Incidentally the photo must have been taken in 1985 as the main body of the building is already demolished in it with only the front portion remaining. This happened as works were taking place. The other mystery is why such a huge field was left only partially occupied by a small cinema ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

desbrook wrote: »
    Maybe it closed for a while and reopened?
    Perhaps it opened at certain times of the year like the old cinema in Balbriggan?

Had a productive chat with an elderly lady today about this - originally from Malahide but living in Swords for fifty odd years. Firstly she validates the involvement of the Bray surname in things . She told me she was friends with a Nuala Bray whose father owned the cinema . We can presume his name was Hector although she wasn't sure . She just knew it as "Bray's Cinema" .
    She couldn't tell me when it ceased operations as a cinema but interestingly she didn't remember it being open when she came in 1957 ! :confused:A common theme from talking to this lady , my dad or indeed when I used to talk to my mam about the cinema was indifference to it at the time . People then seemed to think cinema "old hat" and television the way forward - maybe I'm wrong .
    Even more interestingly she THINKS her son in law's father was a projectionist there ....stay tuned !;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I'm in Swords since 67 and remember it being "Bray's Cinema" , don't ever remember it being open. But to remember exploring the building.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

A person to ask is Bernie Marks in the Fingal Heritage Centre in Swords. She's based in the Carnegie Library building in North Street.

Bernie is a Swords native so chances are she would have gone to the pictures in this cinema.

chughes wrote: »
    A person to ask is Bernie Marks in the Fingal Heritage Centre in Swords. She's based in the Carnegie Library building in North Street.

Bernie is a Swords native so chances are she would have gone to the pictures in this cinema.

I'm sure Bernie would have loads of info yea ...but call me nuts but I want to put some stuff together myself . Its more fun that way (told you I was nuts ) and I might get some new info .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 swordsman76

just doing some research my self but not on the actual cinema. As a child i remember when going to my nannys in feltrim from brackenstown there was two old volkswagon beetels around the corner from the cinema opposite DHL and wrights. They where parked beside a little derilect building. I think there was bushes growing around them. They where abonded.
    I cant get that image out of my head. Please if someone else remembers these cars will they let me know:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

You could try the library, I know there are 3 books on Dublin Cinemas, they might have a mention of the old Swords Cinema. One off the top of my head is

http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/A_to_Z_of_All_Old_Dublin_Cinemas/1906027005/

Advertisement