Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brookwood crescent Artane

• 06-10-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi

looking at moving to this area ?

is it really artane ..it is beside harmonstown dart station

houses look nice and is close to dart,st anne and coast.

what are national school choices in the area ?
    Do you have to go to particular school if you live on particular street ?

For gaa and soccer can you pick which Club you go to for kids ?

not a rugger bugger but have a young fella who currently looks more rugby than other sports ..could he go to clontarf ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

rocketed wrote: »
    Hi

not a rugger bugger but have a young fella who currently looks more rugby than other sports ..could he go to clontarf ?

- Yes, it's really Artane, I would say it's near the boundary alright, but it's definitely not Harmo.

- Schools - boys or girls?

- You don't have to attend a particular school if you live on a particular street, you could send the kids to Timbuktu if you wanted really.

- Sports. Of course you can pick clubs, what a bizarre question. And yes, they could even play Rugby in Clontarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hi

Its artane, quite a lot of families in the area and its quite settled.

Nearby you've got St Bridgids in Killester (boys & girls), Belgrove in Clontarf (both as well) and if you want educate together, North Bay in Kilbarrack isn't far at all.

For GAA, you've got choices of Parnells, Raheny, Cluain Tarbh and Scoil Ui Chonaill.

Then for rugby you've got Clontarf and Suttonians isn't far either.

Tesco Artane is close, and theres a local shop beside the Dart.

Lots of choices for Public Transport to the City Centre as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's Artane alright

The area has fine schools
    St Davids for boys and also St Bridgets

The club in Killester is one of your nearest GAA clubs
    edit, there is an active martial arts club in Killester too if your children would like to join. Great instructors and lots of young people for them to make friends with

Clontarf down the road for rugby

Great area to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rocketed

thanks for info.

Apologies for ignorance re schools and sports clubs policy
    ...first kid and he is a boy.Getting the impression it is difficult to get kids into schools ..should be on the register before they pop out.

i thought a lot of GAA clubs had to follow parish boundaries ..i assume gracefield
    avenue is the same too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Are you religious?

If not, see if you can find either an educate together or protestant school in the area, might be easier to get the kid into one of them.

• Advertisement

I'd recommend North Bay for Educate Together, I went there and it really is a lovely school.

Religion is not a big issue for me and will defo look at educate together option ..but if local school is catholic and good i wont have a problem with that ..on assumption the old fire and brimstone is not really an issue any more ..if you can go to a school in walking distance of house is easier than having to travel.

i have to get the house first.

St Bridgids is 5 mins walk, Belgrove 10/15. North Bay is about 10 mins by bus. I'm pretty sure theres a primary school in Brookwood as well, I don't know anything about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

Saint Malachy gaa is just up on springdale road and also there is Springdale Ns Lough Derg Rd Raheny Dublin 5 ,Dublin City .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Scoil Neasain is just 3 mins up the road at Mc Auley Park. It's a Gaelscoil and a fab school but might be too late to enrol, I get the impression it's quite popular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Scoil Neasain is just 3 mins up the road at Mc Auley Park. It's a Gaelscoil and a fab school but might be too late to enrol, I get the impression it's quite popular.

Yeah it's hard to get into, gaelscoil means no scumbag kids :)

i spotted the gaelscoil that sounds great but very tough to get into it seems ?

as the other half is not Irish it is not practical as no chance she could help kids with homework although i would like it in ideal world but 3 languges for young kid might be too much.

i am wondering if the gaelscoil become very "ethnically" irish ..on the southside seems to be a form of elitism. I have seen a lot of surprising people sending the kids to the gaelscoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Great area.

Stones throw from Dart, St Annes Park, Raheny village, Killester village, and a quick drive from the coast, Airport, Howth, Malahide.

Tons of local amenities and a really nice bunch of locals.

Around the corner, Harmonstown/Edenmore has gotten fairly quiet.

I would live in the Brookwood/Gracefield area in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

My son and daughter attend catholic schools, but we're not practising catholics. My son didn't make his communion and none of the others will follow in the catholic faith, but my wife likes the idea of them attending a religious school, so they can learn about god. I say "whatever", they both attend great schools. St Pauls I belive is a great school. Don't be put off by religion being part of a school. There's no harm in a morning prayer as long as it's not getting bet into them. The educate together schools telling 4 and 5 year olds about families with 2 mammies, or 2 daddies is a bit much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 autronica

We live in Brookwood and or kids have gone to Greenlanes NS in Clontarf. Great little school. C of I ethos but our are loose RC and there has been warm welcomes. Grenlanes is also afeeder for Mount Temple Comp which is a fantastic school.
    Close to Parnells in Coolock and its brand new clubhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i spotted the gaelscoil that sounds great but very tough to get into it seems ?

as the other half is not Irish it is not practical as no chance she could help kids with homework although i would like it in ideal world but 3 languges for young kid might be too much.

i am wondering if the gaelscoil become very "ethnically" irish ..on the southside seems to be a form of elitism. I have seen a lot of surprising people sending the kids to the gaelscoil.

I have 3 daughters in the gaelscoill and one in the pre-scoill and IMO its a brilliant school. It is a hard one to get into and I have to agree with what Inbox said. Siblings get first chance at places and there is only one class per year. A few years ago there was only one place left in the infant class but it is worth the effort to get in.

I only have primary school irish but my wifes Irish is far better.

Advertisement