Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound Waste Thread - MOD WARNING in Post 1

• 16-10-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

MOD WARNING

Please ensure that discussion of this topic sticks to the facts. Please link to a reputable source where possible.
    Any potentially libellous or defamatory posts will result in a ban without prior warning.

tHB & MarkMc

I received a letter from greyhound, which seemed like a very decent letter adverising a reduction in the annual charge (€100) by up to 50% if the annual charge of €59.95 was paid before end of November and a €10 credit would be applied to account.

It spoke of 4 plans, which I will detail at the end of the post, but to cut the post to the point, it recommended that I be on plan 1, which is the €59.95 charge and a charge per lift (weight restricted) per bin. I got on the phone to clarify what charges would actually apply if I exceeded the 25kg (black bin) weight limit and it was confirmed at €0.33 per additional kilo. The scary part is that they "recommended" i stay on plan 1, which was automatically selected. It said "we've analysed the amount of waste that you have generated through your account number 00000000 with greyhound to date, and we have identified the plan for which, we believe, best suits your requirements."

After getting on the phone with a greyhound rep (who, by the way was very helpful), I realised that option one, based only on the last 3 Black bin lifts (266 kilos in 3 lifts) would have cost well over €1000 per year, without considering the Brown bin charges. We usually have the brown bin about 70% full.

How on earth did they do their analysis if the recommended plan is costing us so much? Plan 2 and 3 offer an unlimited weight for just €348 and €330 respectively, the former being a monthly payment option and the latter being an upfront fee, which actually becomes €302.50 if paid before November ends.

So Here Are The Plans: (green bin is free with all plans)

Plan 1 Pay Per Lift
    # €59.95 annual charge
    # Black Bin €6.50 per lift*
    # Brown Bin €3.60 per lift*
    * = €0.33 for each kilo over 25kg black bin and €0.24 for each kilo over 20kg brown bin.

Plan 2 Pay Per Month
    # No upfront fee.
    #€29 per month
    # covers collection of a 2nd black bin if you have one
    # No weight restriction

Plan 3 Annual Fixed (suits us best as a 3 adult, 3 kid and some pets home)
    #€330 upfront
    # Same as plan 2, but without the monthly fees.

Plan 4 Pay By Weight
    # €100 Annual Service Charge
    # Black bin charge of €0.26 per kilo
    # Brown bin charge of €0.19 per kilo
    # No lift fees.

To change your plan, or get information on your account, you'll need to get in touch with greyhound customer care.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Alivia Witty Satire

We got similar but no annual plan.
    I called today asking why they thought I needed 2 black bins per lift for 29 pm
    hopefully Will get a call back tomorrow.

was onto oxygen. 220 for the year.

just need to get the money on my account credited back to my card.

wonder how difficult that Will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I reckon we will be swithing. We currently spend about €10 per month with Greyhound, because we don't put the bins out much. So thats about €220 per year with the standing charge. €330 is now the cheapest with Greyhound.

I reckon we will be swithing. We currently spend about €10 per month with Greyhound, because we don't put the bins out much. So thats about €220 per year with the standing charge. €330 is now the cheapest with Greyhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

I have the document here in front of me, it says

"Black bin waste over 25kg charged at .33c per kilo...."

That is 0.33 cent per kilo, not €0.33 (which is 33c) per kilo.

Greyhound should stick with their published prices. OP have you actually phoned them to ask their pay-by-weight pricing? Sounds to me like they are trying to rip you off there charging you 100 times what they have quoted.

deandean wrote: »

Greyhound should stick with their published prices. OP have you actually phoned them to ask their pay-by-weight pricing? Sounds to me like they are trying to rip you off there charging you 100 times what they have quoted.

This is one of the reasons I rang them (3rd paragraph of OP). I also rang them at 5:55pm and the girl I spoke to also said 33c per additional kilo and not .33cent per kilo. So either the letter is correct and the two representatives I spoke to are wrong, or the letter is wrong. But I got quoted, over the phone at my previous 3 black bin lifts. The last lift was 73.5 kilos and I was told, by the first greyhound rep, that it would have cost €23 on plan 1.

• Advertisement

Looks like I will have to ring them AGAIN tomorrow. Two phone calls and two idiots telling me that my black bin fee goes from €7 per lift to an averge of €30 per lift with no explanation. The second phone call I was speaking to a girl and I asked who analysed my bill to give me such a ridiculous recommendation, bringing my bill to around €1500 per year based on the figures given. She said I should ring customer care :eek: Is this not customer care? I asked...Yes, but this is an office in cork and we just deal with plan switching :confused:....so she gave me a customer care number for Dublin, which I didn't see anywhere on the letter ( 1890 923 323 )

It makes much more sense if it is .33c but the 1st rep said it was 33 cent per extra kilo on black bins and the second rep said "yeah, your lifts are quite heavy, so your bills would be really expensive." This indirectly confirmed whatthe 1st rep said. I didn't catch their names...they seem to mutter their names at the start of the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

I phoned them at 5:40 today, no answer either. Now ya have ME worried.

I phoned them at 5:40 today, no answer either. Now ya have ME worried.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

goz83 wrote: »
    I received a letter from greyhound, which seemed like a very decent letter adverising a reduction in the annual charge (€100) by up to 50% if the annual charge of €59.95 was paid before end of November and a €10 credit would be applied to account.

It spoke of 4 plans, which I will detail at the end of the post, but to cut the post to the point, it recommended that I be on plan 1, which is the €59.95 charge and a charge per lift (weight restricted) per bin. I got on the phone to clarify what charges would actually apply if I exceeded the 25kg (black bin) weight limit and it was confirmed at €0.33 per additional kilo. The scary part is that they "recommended" i stay on plan 1, which was automatically selected. It said "we've analysed the amount of waste that you have generated through your account number 00000000 with greyhound to date, and we have identified the plan for which, we believe, best suits your requirements."

After getting on the phone with a greyhound rep (who, by the way was very helpful), I realised that option one, based only on the last 3 Black bin lifts (266 kilos in 3 lifts) would have cost well over €1000 per year, without considering the Brown bin charges. We usually have the brown bin about 70% full.

How on earth did they do their analysis if the recommended plan is costing us so much? Plan 2 and 3 offer an unlimited weight for just €348 and €330 respectively, the former being a monthly payment option and the latter being an upfront fee, which actually becomes €302.50 if paid before November ends.

So Here Are The Plans: (green bin is free with all plans)

Plan 1 Pay Per Lift
    # €59.95 annual charge
    # Black Bin €6.50 per lift*
    # Brown Bin €3.60 per lift*
    * = €0.33 for each kilo over 25kg black bin and €0.24 for each kilo over 20kg brown bin.

Plan 2 Pay Per Month
    # No upfront fee.
    #€29 per month
    # covers collection of a 2nd black bin if you have one
    # No weight restriction

Plan 3 Annual Fixed (suits us best as a 3 adult, 3 kid and some pets home)
    #€330 upfront
    # Same as plan 2, but without the monthly fees.

Plan 4 Pay By Weight
    # €100 Annual Service Charge
    # Black bin charge of €0.26 per kilo
    # Brown bin charge of €0.19 per kilo
    # No lift fees.

To change your plan, or get information on your account, you'll need to get in touch with greyhound customer care.

I need to correct your figures on Plan 2 and Plan 3

Plan 2 - It is €19 per month and not €29 as you have quoted.

Plan 3 - €250 is the up front fee and not €330 as you have quoted.

Where are you getting your numbers from by the way?

I dont work for Greyhound.

I have a hard copy of the info leaflet in front of me dated 5th October 2012.

kravmaga wrote: »

I need to correct your figures on Plan 2 and Plan 3

Plan 2 - It is €19 per month and not €29 as you have quoted.

Plan 3 - €250 is the up front fee and not €330 as you have quoted.

Where are you getting your numbers from by the way?

I dont work for Greyhound.

I have a hard copy of the info leaflet in front of me dated 5th October 2012.

Everyones letter is different. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

The letters are different alright.
    There's thread about it over in Bargain Alerts - there are a few scans of the letters from different people on there: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056765023

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Why is anyone still with this company :confused:

surely they cant get away with charging different prices in different areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

We had a similar letter from Greyhound offering three plans (but different figures -in South Dublin county) telling us we were being placed on a particular plan since it offered the 'best value for us' according to Greyhound.

It did not offer best value.

Anyone receiving this letter should take a few minutes to look back on the year and check costs. The plan Greyhound recommended for us would have cost us circa €80.00 more than necessary in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Has anyone calculated a saving on these new price plans or, as I suspect, it's just a clever way of disguising more price increases from Greyhound?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

I have just spoken to someone in Greyhound (having spend 5mins on hold via a number I have to pay for as it's not part of UPC package) to query how plan 1 offers me the best value. I was told it was the same as the plan I was on at the moment. 'Is there more than one plan available at the moment?' I asked. No was the reply. 'So is this the best plan for me to be on from 1 January? How was the decision made that Plan 1 was the one that they believed offered me the greatest benefits in terms of value for money and the number of bin lifts I needed to provide for my waste requirements' Eh - this plan is the same as the one you are on.
    At the moment I have 2 black bins and to date have paid €304 and estimate I will pay another €80 to year end. I have 'gone overweight' a number of times so in calculating which option was the best needed to take this into consideration.

My estimates are Plan 1 (recommended by Greyhound) €450 minimum not allowing for overweight bins
    Plan 2 €348
    Plan 3 €330
    Plan 4 not even going there

This is a potential difference of at least €120 so how can they possibly suggest that the dearest plan is the best option.

I did ask was Option 1 chosen for everyone but the conversation sort of came to an end. She did offer to change me over to Option 3 as she thought it would probably be cheaper. My point is - will everyone bother to check which plan is best.

I have just spoken to someone in Greyhound (having spend 5mins on hold via a number I have to pay for as it's not part of UPC package) to query how plan 1 offers me the best value. I was told it was the same as the plan I was on at the moment. 'Is there more than one plan available at the moment?' I asked. No was the reply. 'So is this the best plan for me to be on from 1 January? How was the decision made that Plan 1 was the one that they believed offered me the greatest benefits in terms of value for money and the number of bin lifts I needed to provide for my waste requirements' Eh - this plan is the same as the one you are on.
    At the moment I have 2 black bins and to date have paid €304 and estimate I will pay another €80 to year end. I have 'gone overweight' a number of times so in calculating which option was the best needed to take this into consideration.

My estimates are Plan 1 (recommended by Greyhound) €450 minimum not allowing for overweight bins
    Plan 2 €348
    Plan 3 €330
    Plan 4 not even going there

This is a potential difference of at least €120 so how can they possibly suggest that the dearest plan is the best option.

I did ask was Option 1 chosen for everyone but the conversation sort of came to an end. She did offer to change me over to Option 3 as she thought it would probably be cheaper. My point is - will everyone bother to check which plan is best.

oxygen 220 for a year.

OK. I spoke with 3 different customer care people today, one being an ignorant cow by the name of Aine in the Dublin customer service office. All 5 I have spoken to confirmed that its 33 cent per additional kilo over 25 kilo on a black bin. Juliane in Cork said it was a genuine mistake and the letter should not have been sent out. I asked for a Supervisor, but Amy was in Dublin for the day and wasn't available. I'm told I'm not the first to ring about it (obviously).

If it was .33c per additional kilo, it would make absolute sense, because most bins will be 50-60kilos, bringing the weight closer to the current charge of €7. But the average bill on plan 1 is likely to go up by 300%. They are going to be in a world of sh1t come January/February because it looks like everyone is being put onto Plan 1.

Based on that assumption, they will earn about €15 extra on top of the basic lift fee for the very first lift of a black bin in January 2013, compared to this years price. It will take people a few weeks to realise their bin charges have rocketed.

edit: I've also emailed a local labour td and a finegael td in the dublin north east constituency, so we will see if anything happens with this. tbh, I am expecting more from the labour td, because he seems to be much more active in the community and won't like Greyhound ripping people off like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Obviously going to change company after this utter fraud on the company's part. Recommendations in the D6 area?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Obviously going to change company after this utter fraud on the company's part. Recommendations in the D6 area?

Oxigen are there I'm sure - they're in Dublin 4 and offered me a good-priced alternative to Greyhound.
    Their website is a bit rubbish (pardon the pun) - on some pages it mentions that every customer gets a brown bin, when they don't - the brown bin has to be specifically requested and costs a good bit extra.
    So phoning them is your best bet - http://www.oxigen.ie/Contact-Us/contact-us.html

Anyone with the letter from Greyhound in front of them know what the date that this stuff is due to come into effect on is?

I remember reading that if I didn't reply by a particular date I was essentially agreeing to the new system or something...

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone with the letter from Greyhound in front of them know what the date that this stuff is due to come into effect on is?

I remember reading that if I didn't reply by a particular date I was essentially agreeing to the new system or something...

Good question, the letter is clear as mud.

GH.jpg

I was planning on using the last of my credit for the next couple of bin lifts then changing to Oxigen at, say, the start of December - so cancelling Greyhound then.

Does anyone know if that's the right way to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Just wondering, what's the story about the automatic top up version, they have? Does that include the payment of the annual charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ranmac

This is my very point. If I go with their proposal, as stated in their letter of offer, then all they can contractually charge us is as stated in their letter - .33c per kilo or approximately 303 kilo for €1.00. Surely if no one gets written confirmation otherwise then their offer, if accepted by a customer must contractually stand. A legal opinion must agree with this
    interpretation

The only thing that happens then is they change the terms of the contract to 33c and you have a second opportunity to opt out. They're not obliged to provide you a waste service indefinitely at a price that they will say is a typo.

The odd thing is that the "typo" is much closer to todays rates, when the new price is 100 times more expensive for every extra kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ranmac

goz83 wrote: »
    The odd thing is that the "typo" is much closer to todays rates, when the new price is 100 times more expensive for every extra kilo.

And another interesting point is that there is no reference to black bin size. For the waiver customer it states on Plan 1 that in addition to €49.95 annual charge the charge is €4.90 per lift. Is this regardless of bin size as I was thinking of downsizing my bin as I am now officially 'old' - that is an OAP - or would it be less for the smaller bin. You really have to wonder at the intelligence or indeed lack of it with the Greyhound Company in producing such a document. My next door neighbouor uses the smaller black bin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

I feel we have been completely tricked by Greyhound. like a lot of people I availed of their 'special offer' recently which gave an extra €10 credit for topping up by €49. I know have a balance of €76 in my account which will not be used up by 30 Nov. Based on the Plan 1 that they stuck me on, my lifts would cost approx €17 plus the annual fee of €59.95 !!!
    If I cancel my account I will lose money but I am so p1ssed off that I am not staying with Greyhound. Any suggestions for Dublin 3 ??
    Has anyone been on to Joe Duffy about this ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I rang greyhound yesterday to ask what weight my last three bins lifts were and they couldn't tell me because I haven't put my bin out since they started weighting them. The girl on the phone said the average weight of a full bin is approx 25kg - 30kg. I suspect she was lying to me, could anyone enlighten me as to the approx weight of a full bin. Thanks.

A far as i know, Oxigen cover all of Dublin, but don't quote me on that. Howeve, we should be given reasonable prices. Greyhound got the lions share when they took over from DCC, but why are they so much more expensive and why are the prices so varied? I have seen price differences already of 100% more in my area, but across the road, it's half the price.

I wrote to Minister Phil Hogan about this. My letter below.

Dear Minister Hogan,

I would like to make you aware of a very big problem, which I believe will cause great hardship and anger at the hands of Greyhound Recycling, which as you know, took over from DCC this year. Greyhound have introduced new pricing for next year, which is very misleading and breaches advertising standards. Quite simply, the prices they advertise in a letter sent to all their customers in incorrect. They also offer massively different prices for different areas. I live in Donaghmede, Dublin 13 and the annual fee is €330, but someone who lives less than 50 metres away from me in Clongriffin, Dublin 13 only pays €160 for the annual fee. I have informed my local FG TD, Terence Flanagan about this, but I want to inform you about it, because this is your area of responsibility as minister for the environment, so far as I can tell. Terence noted the difference in price and said he would write to Greyhound about this. The biggest problem is that the advertised price is not the actual price they are charging for anything over 25 kilos in a black bin, they are charging 33 cent per kilo, but they advertised .33c per kilo, which would actually fall in line with the current pricing structure. Paying 100 times the advertised price is unacceptable, to put it kindly. I am concened for those who will be oblivious to this, especially the elderly.

I would like to draw your attention to a thread I started on www.Boards.ie which is linked below. You may have to paste the address into your browser for access. The thread is quite short, but it will give you a good understanding of what is happening. There is also a "mega-thread" on the same forum about greyhound, which gives some more insight if you scroll to the last few pages. Unless something is done about this, people will see their top up accounts drained in a single bin left and many bins will be left uncollected at the end of January. Aside from this, bin charges will raise from an average of €350 per year to over €1000 per year by my simple estimation.

Regards,

My Name
    FG Supporter

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81274635

I received a reply from Phil Hogans secretary, which is a start, but I hope to see something done about this. The reply is below.

Dear my surname,

I have been asked by Mr. Phil Hogan ,T.D., Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government to refer to your recent email in connection with

Greyhound Recycling.

A further email on this matter will issue as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely,

Senders Name

Private Secretary

• Advertisement

I rang greyhound yesterday to ask what weight my last three bins lifts were and they couldn't tell me because I haven't put my bin out since they started weighting them. The girl on the phone said the average weight of a full bin is approx 25kg - 30kg. I suspect she was lying to me, could anyone enlighten me as to the approx weight of a full bin. Thanks.

Average weight of our black bins is 60-70kg. We recycle, so the organic waste is in the brown bin and the light waste is in the green bin. There are 3 adults and 3 children in our household. I would say a 30kg bin is unrealistic, unless its a single person, or a couple, who just dump all their waste into the black bin, fillingit up with bulky, but very light recyclable matter, such as boxes and plastic bottles.

We had a black bin in September weighing over 127kg.

Advertisement