Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Cooking Club Week 40: Stuffing Balls

Options
  • 05-10-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Nice easy one this week. But while it might be an easy recipe it doesn’t hold back on flavour. I’ve been making this recipe since I was a kid, so it’s not difficult to make.
    As kids, we’d make them up on a Saturday evening, (along with the trifle) and stick them in the fridge to have with Sunday dinner).
    A roast dinner (including Christmas dinner) just aint the same without them.

Ingredients
    • 100g Breadcrumbs (approx.. 3 slices of white pan)
    • 1 Small Onion (finely diced)
    • ½ lb of Sausages (skins removed)
    • 1 Egg (beaten)
    • Olive Oil
    • Thyme
    • Parsley
    • Salt & Pepper

DSC_001_15.jpg

First step is to get the breadcrumbs made. You can buy shop bought breadcrumbs but they’re ridiculously expensive, and if you’ve got a food processor it’s easy to do.
    It’s best to use stale bread, but if you’ve only got fresh bread, leave it out uncovered for a few hours to go stale. Once made, dump them into a large bowl. (Try to keep some spare if you need to add them later. I always make a bit more than a 100g)
    DSC_002_15.jpg

Finely dice the onion.
    DSC_003_15.jpg

Heat some oil in a small pan, add the diced onion, and fry over a medium heat until the onion is soft. About 10mins
    DSC_004_15.jpg

While the onion is frying, start chopping the parsley
    DSC_005_15_1.jpg

Once the onion is soft, put them on a plate to cool down
    DSC_006_15.jpg

Set the pan aside. Don’t clean it, as you’ll be using it again in a few minutes
    DSC_007_15.jpg

Pick the Thyme leaves from the stalks
    DSC_008_15.jpg

Chop the Thyme
    DSC_009_15.jpg

Add the chopped Parsley & Thyme to the Breadcrumbs
    DSC_010_15.jpg

Add Pepper
    DSC_011_15.jpg

Add Salt and give it a good mix with your hands
    DSC_012_15.jpg

Add the fried Onions
    DSC_013_15.jpg

Add the Sausages (discarding the skins). Kids love this part.
    DSC_014_15.jpg

Add the beaten egg. Not all of it at first.
    DSC_015_15.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Give it all a good mix. You want a fairly wetish mix but not too wet. You can add a little more egg, or a little more breadcrumbs until you get the right consistency.
    DSC_016_15.jpg

Get the pan that you used for the onions back on the heat and add a small ball of the mixture into the pan. Cook for a few minutes until brown.
    DSC_017_15.jpg

Taste to make sure the seasoning is ok. And adjust accordingly.
    DSC_018_15.jpg

If you’re happy with the seasoning form the mixture into small balls. The quantities given should give you approximately 16 balls.
    You can then pop them into the fridge to cook later. I tend to make them the night before I’m cooking a roast so that I don’t have to do much on the day.
    DSC_019_15.jpg

When cooking them, you can either put them on a separate baking tray or do what I do and throw them in with the veg. They take about 30mins to cook, but they’re quite forgiving in that sense.
    DSC_020_15.jpg

Make sure to turn them throughout the cooking
    DSC_021_15.jpg

Enjoy with lots and lots of gravy!!!
    DSC_022_15.jpg

They’re great the next day in sandwiches with the left over roast meat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

YUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Oh they look good! They seem pretty versatile too. I would add them to pasta!

I am also impressed by your fine chopping skills!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WOWZA! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I feckin love stuffing!!!! Nom. I want to make these now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Looks delicious! Great pictures too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

We do something similar at home, but in a bigger quantity and then baked in a loaf tin. Sausage stuffing, unreal.

Oh they look good! They seem pretty versatile too. I would add them to pasta!
    They might be a bit bready to have with pasta, but you could certainly just adjust the bread/sausage ratio to make them more meatball(y).

But yeah, they're definitely really versatile, in that you could just add anything to them that takes your fancy. Even try with different herbs. Although I just love the thyme/parsley combination.
    I am also impressed by your fine chopping skills!
    Thank you. Although it's amazing what you can do with a sharp knife.

We do something similar at home, but in a bigger quantity and then baked in a loaf tin. Sausage stuffing, unreal.
    My mam used to stuff the neck of the chicken or turkey with this mixture, and then slice and serve. So it'd be very similar to a meatloaf kinda thing. Always preferred the stuffing balls though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

gonna try these tonight they look great!
    what camera do you have op?? those pics are great too!

Cool. Let us know how you get on.

what camera do you have op?? those pics are great too!

Nikon D5000, but it's the lens that makes the difference. Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G. It's a portrait lens and it takes fantastic pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Made these today, they went down a treat with roast chicken. will be making again

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Oh GOD, these look fabulous!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

going to make these at the wend, thinking of getting some fresh soft rolls and making stuffing balls sambos.

some mayo and mustard with a btl or two of ale

blueshed wrote: »
    going to make these at the wend, thinking of getting some fresh soft rolls and making stuffing balls sambos.

some mayo and mustard with a btl or two of ale
    Having these the next day in sandwich with the leftover roast is amazing so that'd be gorgeous too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Made a change by adding some wholegrain mustard into the mix, but they were still delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭swine

Making these today for Christmas dinner and cannot wait - thanks for the recipe BaZmo!

swine wrote: »
    Making these today for Christmas dinner and cannot wait - thanks for the recipe BaZmo!
    Enjoy! I have mine made since yesterday. Makes today a little less stressful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just wondering if it would be cool to freeze these, as in make them up, then freeze, defrost and cook as needed?

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Just wondering if it would be cool to freeze these, as in make them up, then freeze, defrost and cook as needed?

I'd imagine so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made these for tonight. Delicious and super easy, Bazmo. I added a bit of sage too. Thanks for the recipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

Made these over the weekend, thought I'd Bump for anyone thinking of stuffing for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dilly.

do you need to use fresh thyme or would dried be ok?

Dilly. wrote: »
    do you need to use fresh thyme or would dried be ok?

I tend not to use dried herbs if I can so I've never used them in this recipe, but that's not to say that you can't. I'd imagine it'd be fine to used dried. Fresh thyme is very cheap though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

BaZmo, great recipe and so glad you have quantities in there too :)

I did have one question though, typically, how many people would this recipe serve?

I'll have 5 adults and one child to serve for 2 days. Should I double the quantities, triple?

r3nu4l wrote: »
    BaZmo, great recipe and so glad you have quantities in there too :)

I did have one question though, typically, how many people would this recipe serve?

I'll have 5 adults and one child to serve for 2 days. Should I double the quantities, triple?

Recipe makes 16 balls and you'd easily have 4 each so I'd definitely double up.

They're amazing on a sambo with some left over Turkey and/or Ham so they won't go to waste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh, thanks for the bump. Will put this on the Christmas cooking list. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Recipe makes 16 balls and you'd easily have 4 each so I'd definitely double up.

They're amazing on a sambo with some left over Turkey and/or Ham so they won't go to waste.

Thanks! Fantastic, you're a lifesaver. My Mam always cooked the sausage stuffing and I tried it last year because she was too ill to cook the dinner but wasn't satisfied with the result. She died three months ago so I want to make sure my dad has some good sausage stuffing this year. It's a silly, small thing but often they're the most important things! Can't wait to give this a go. I can't promise a photo of the results straight away but I'll definitely post back my experiences with this :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This is on my list too ;)

R3nu4l - my sympathies on the passing of your mum.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Thanks! Fantastic, you're a lifesaver. My Mam always cooked the sausage stuffing and I tried it last year because she was too ill to cook the dinner but wasn't satisfied with the result. She died three months ago so I want to make sure my dad has some good sausage stuffing this year. It's a silly, small thing but often they're the most important things! Can't wait to give this a go. I can't promise a photo of the results straight away but I'll definitely post back my experiences with this :)

Sorry to hear that r3nu4l. It's my Grandmother's recipe (she's 91 in January!) so it's an old recipe, so hopefully your dad enjoys them. We used to make them as kids so they're not difficult to do.

My father in law (who's a vegetarian) loves them too. He doesn't know there's meat in them though :/
    I was putting all the food on the table last year and before I'd finished he'd helped himself to a load of them :D No one had the heart to tell him though. No doubt he'll be looking forward to them!

So essentially they are so good vegetarians love them! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm making them for Christmas dinner too :)

R3nu4l I'm sorry to hear about your mam, and I hope your dad loves the stuffing.

Advertisement