Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Too old for airsoft?

Options
  • 03-10-2012 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

As above! i'm mid 30s am i too old to start playing?? :eek:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

Not at all your a yongster compaired to some of us ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MyNameis.com

Gray wrote: »
    Not at all your a yongster compaired to some of us ;)

Haha i was thinkin was it all teens palying! which is great been the future of airsoft and any sport!....but would be nice to play with mayure players also! i must head to a game and ask a million questions! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Hi mate

I asked the same question a couple of months back (search for "too old to skirmish?") and I put up a poll to find what the average age of skirmishers was. Well I was pretty encouraged when I found it was mainly 20 - 40 something's who answered the poll. I'm 43 myself but I've found a lot of guys older than me at sites.

Give it a go and I'm sure you'll end up hooked like me. Plus the camaderie you'll encounter is half the fun of a day out.

If you're in the Dublin region, I'd recommend Redbarn in north Dublin, although some players do travel from as far afield as Mullingar to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

I was at the compound over the weekend and majority of players were like myself in there 30's. When I'm in my 70's I'll be rockin an M249 mounted to my zimmer frame ;), that's the plan anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JudgeHolden

I played for the first time two weeks ago at Frontier Airsoft at Killruddery, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I should add that I’m 49…

It was a great experience, and supplied a very quick lesson as to just how unfit I am! However, I managed to not make too much of a fool of myself against the teenage lads who were running around like wind-up toys! (Tip: when they’re running full pelt for cover, fire at a fixed point just ahead of them; they run straight into it! Tee hee!)

There were several other lads playing who were only a little younger than me, so I didn’t feel entirely out of place. And I was really pleased with the friendly reception I received as a “noob”; from my airsoft experience so far, retailers - who are helpful and without any sort of age bias - and players seem to be a decent bunch. Of course, I’m new to the sport so have yet to experience all it has to offer, but so far so good.

And one final point; it took nearly four days after my first game for my legs to stop hurting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Judgeholden, did you get your gearbox unlocked? Glad you enjoyed it, another convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Thanks

Unless your rock'n a coffin, you've no excuse to not airsoft :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭NinjaLmk

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Unless your rock'n a coffin, you've no excuse to not airsoft :D

Exactly mate, im 46 & im not the oldest I know playing :D & im out every Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JudgeHolden

Judgeholden, did you get your gearbox unlocked? Glad you enjoyed it, another convert.

I did get it unlocked! Subsequently, I have discovered that there was an issue with the addition of a Burst Wizard, the small amount of extra wiring it has, and the small storage space for batteries in the stock in my M4. I've mounted them outside in custom holders (they look cool, if I may use that term considering my age), and converted the space in the stock so the wiring isn't cramped, and now - fingers crossed - it works a treat.

And thanks for the loan of your P90. It was a blast and ridiculously accurate. (I hope it didn't disgorge its entire contents of BBs in your gun bag! I did try and make it stand up as I packed it!)

Yup, a convert alrighty. Even with the aches and pains...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MyNameis.com

Thanks for all the replys! i feel much better now i know i wont stand out like a sore thumb! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

NinjaLmk wrote: »

Jesus man you're only 46:eek: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭NinjaLmk

Jesus man you're only 46:eek: :p
    & you thought I was only 21(+VAT @ HigeRate Lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

NinjaLmk wrote: »
    Tony, I'll PM you a couple of numbers for crown green bowling and hill walking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Thanks

I'm 37 and took it up earlier this year. It's a fantastic way to keep fit and have loads of fun at the same time.

Throw yourself into it and really push yourself during those skirmishes. You'll find at the end of the day you'll be exhausted but in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Boa.Prinz

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Unsinnig

Anyone who knows Paddy from the RATS will know that you can be knocking about well into retirement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Skyliner65

LOL I'm approaching my 50's and just got into this hobby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Just turned 40 and have gotten into it. I was playing at one of the north county Dublin sites on Sunday and there was a woman in her fifties playing with her hubby. Its really good exercise and great fun to boot:D.

Advertisement