Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

its begun

• 11-09-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Well as you probably all know the new series starts 04 October 2012.

Dave are doing a countdown at the moment. All day Saturday season 8 Sunday season 7 and 6 next Saturday etc!

Just in case you weren't aware. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cannot wait for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

EnterNow wrote: »
    Cannot wait for this!

I'm with you dude. Judging by the interviews and acknowledgment that Back to Earth was rubbish, I am really hopeful of a good season with future potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Smeg. No telly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Hope this one's good... Acknowledging Back To Earth was rubbish is no guarantee of this one being good... Series VIII was a bit rubbish as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

We'll find out tomorrow evening !! :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looking forward to this tonight! Back to Earth was a big let down, hoping this is a return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

This is a bit pre-emptive but I'm just wondering about the age of the characters (which presumably will reflect the age of the characters).

As in, are we going to see them being completely different? In the original serieses, they were all a bit childish in their own ways - except maybe Kryten and Holly, but that was fine when they were in their twenties. But now they must be in their 50s so if the characters are similar something might just not fit right, if they are the same - although - the lack of contact with civilisation might justify it if they are still all a bit childish.

I'm just saying, don't be too surprised if the characters have changed somewhat. Like realistically, the banter between Rimmer and Lister which Red Dwarf is famous for would have all run out by now...

Or maybe they'll surprise us all and have some wibbly wobbly swirly thing in space make them all look older but the characters will still be the same age as before...

BTW is Rob Grant involved at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i liked back to earth.

itll never live up to series 2 ever again though. the likes of the scene where Rimmer enters the room on the Nova 5, introducing himself, and looks up to see the skeletons.

classic.

this is on my season record, cause i wont be home for it tonight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

folan wrote: »
    i liked back to earth.

itll never live up to series 2 ever again though.

Series 3-6 are - IMO anyway, and I thought general consensus too - undoubtedly the peak of the series. Was a tad antiquated before that, too inconsistent afterwards.

Cautious pessimism about the new series (I hated Back to Earth) but still looking forward to finding out what they have in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Looking forward to this a lot.......

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is this back to just the lads alone on Red Dwarf/Starbug or is the whole crew still alive like it was in series 8? Would be nice if it picks up directly after the cliffhanger from season 8 and pretends Back to Earth never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

I'm just happy to see new episodes so I can give my box set a rest.

Well after the very impressive 'Trojan', I looked up the other episode synopses for Season X:

2) "Fathers & Suns"
    Every year Lister sends himself a Father's Day card to celebrate the fact that he is his own father, but when Rimmer points out he's been a lousy father to himself Lister decides to do something about it. Meanwhile, Rimmer and Kryten install a new computer; the beautiful, but lethally logical, Pree.

3) Lemons
    Marooned in Britain in 23 AD, the Dwarfers need an 8-volt battery to power up their Returner Remote and get home. Remembering a lesson from school Rimmer suggests they make a battery out of lemons but the nearest lemon to Britain in 23 AD is in India 4,000 miles away. They begin their journey, a journey that will ultimately lead them to a meeting with a historical A-List Celebrity that could alter the entire history of civilisation.

4) Entangled
    Lister loses Rimmer in a game of poker to a group of Genetically Engineered Life Forms (GELF) and in return gets an unwanted gift: a groinal exploder programmed to detonate in 24-hours unless Lister pays his debts. Meanwhile, Kryten and Cat become quantum entangled and do everything in perfect unison.

5) Dear Dave
    Lister has women trouble when he gets himself in a love triangle with Snack Dispensers 23 and 34, then to make matter worse gets a letter from an old girlfriend telling him she's pregnant and it might be his. Lister and Rimmer hunt through the mountain of letters from the mail pod to discover if Lister is finally a dad.

6) The Beginning
    Hiding in an Asteroid, surrounded by a Simulant Death Ship and a fleet of Annihilators, the Dwarfers begin to wonder whether this is the beginning of the end. Only one man can save them. Unfortunately that man is Arnold J. Rimmer.

Source

I have to say, they sound brilliant :D Bit telling that the final episode is called 'The Beginning', directly contrasting the very first episode "The End"...I'd say they'll call it quits with this season. I just hope nobody dies!! :(

I have to say, they sound brilliant :D Bit telling that the final episode is called 'The Beginning', directly contrasting the very first episode "The End"...I'd say they'll call it quits with this season. I just hope nobody dies!! :(

You reckon? I thought if the season is deemed a success they'd make more.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You reckon? I thought if the season is deemed a success they'd make more.

Maybe it's just incase it ends now, I dunno, do you not think 'The Beginning' is a perfect final ever episode name, especially given the first one is called 'The End'? I hope your right though, but I guess it has to end somewhere :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah i'd imagine they'll make more if it's a hit, surely Dave will be pushing for it at least.

if the other episodes of this season are of equal quality to the first (and from the sounds of those descriptions, we're in for some funny stuff) I'm going to buy the dvd when it's released in november.

i doubt ill want to watch them again so soon, but if it helps get more red dwarf of this quality made I can shell out the 20 quid

Maybe it's just incase it ends now, I dunno, do you not think 'The Beginning' is a perfect final ever episode name, especially given the first one is called 'The End'? I hope your right though, but I guess it has to end somewhere :(

Yeah it would be the perfect name for a last ever episode. I guess, regardless of what Dave wants, the lads might see this as a chance to make amends with the fans for BTE and finish on a high.

Yeah it would be the perfect name for a last ever episode. I guess, regardless of what Dave wants, the lads might see this as a chance to make amends with the fans for BTE and finish on a high.

Yep I think so, if they do indeed end on a high & I hope they do, maybe thats the perfect way to end & remember the show as opposed to coming back for season XI and risking it all again.

Its all money driven though, so if this makes $$$ maybe we can expect more

Its all money driven though, so if this makes $$$ maybe we can expect more

Indeed, and its not like the cast/Grant & Naylor went on to have glittering careers after RD either (Coronation Street notwithstanding :P)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Indeed, and its not like the cast/Grant & Naylor went on to have glittering careers after RD either (Coronation Street notwithstanding :P)

Don't you dare speak that way about Scrapheap Challenge :mad:

• Advertisement

Don't you dare speak that way about Scrapheap Challenge :mad:

?type=articleLandscape

*Hangs head in shame*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

Red Dwarf XI is thought to be happening but Dave haven't commissioned it yet. Since Trojan has got them their second highest viewing figures ever (Back to Earth is first), hopefully it should be confirmed soonish.

Perhaps if Fathers and Suns' ratings are consistent with Trojan that'll give them the nudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ridley wrote: »
    Red Dwarf XI is thought to be happening but Dave haven't commissioned it yet. Since Trojan has got them their second highest viewing figures ever (Back to Earth is first), hopefully it should be confirmed soonish.

Perhaps if Fathers and Suns' ratings are consistent with Trojan that'll give them the nudge.

Dave should definitely wait and see how the series has done as a whole before moving to recommission. Novelty adds to ratings potential if BtE is anything to go by because that wasn't very good and it still topped their chart. Looking back at the series and it's overall reception when the 'Ooo, new Dwarf!' effect has worn off will be the best way to go.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Tbh I'd think that BtE would've hurt Series X as most thought it was pretty pants and would dismiss a new season thinking its of the same quality. Thinking of how much money Episode 1 of star wars raked in but the superior Clones and Sith never came close to matching that - I'd imagine people dismissed them due to the awfulness of Penace.

I really hope the series figures stay (or increase) as I'll always watch new Dwarf :)

Advertisement