Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

**Spoilers** Series 7, Episode 5 - "The Angels Take Manhatten"

• 28-09-2012 8:03am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is it that time already? Those 5 weeks have flown by, and we're already at the climax of the first half of the season; featuring the worst kept secret of the series possibly - that this is the Ponds' final story :(

I think a lot of people around here seemed to grow tired of their schtick but I always loved Amy/Rory's vibrant snarkiness and the chemistry between the trio was pretty special. They pretty much got all the best lines & zingers too.

Not going to post any trailers 'cos frankly I'm still annoyed about one that spoilt part of the episode's big surprise.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't know what that suprise is but PLEASE don't spoil it on me...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My desktop wallpaper has been changed in readiness and I still have to wait nearly 28 hours. *twiddles thumbs*

I love the Ponds too, and though I'm going to miss them I am really looking forward to seeing how their story ends. Big-time. I'm very excited about this episode, the Angels are always scary and the setting is great. I've seen some stills and the on location shooting came out really beautifully.

I know the trailer you're talking about pixelburp, it was such a shame that it was spoiled by the trailer. There's a couple of other trailers and snippets (not including that one) on the official BBC site, if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Nooooo!! I thought we were only at episode 4. I'm not ready for this!! I haven't prepared!!

I love the Ponds! I'm going to cry like a baby tonight even if they get their happy ending, and I really don't think they will! The Doctor promised Rory's dad last week that they wouldn't die...I did not like that...The Doctor Lies!

I am still looking forward to this episode...the angels are my favorite bad guy, they are beyond terrifying! And I really do want to see how the Pond story finally ties up. I'm hoping for them to be given a child to raise somehow and it is all happy.

I really know nothing about this weeks episode other than it's set in New York in the past, I've avoided all the trailers. So can not wait for 8.20 just have to have my tissues ready, oh and a cushion to hide behind!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

bradyle wrote: »
    So can not wait for 8.20

7.20! Don't miss it. :)

I'm GMT+1 so 8.20 for me!!! It's on!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

*bursts into tears*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

what a brilliant ending for the ponds!! the angels freak me out beyond belief though

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not an amazing episode by any means..

.. and it was only going to end one way really.

Still - the Angel popping up behind Rory was still a shocker.

Amy Pond's "Afterword" was a nice little touch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Aw man... that was just...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

My wife says she feels cheated. I just feel like I've had my heart ripped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

That episode could bring a tear to the hardest of hardmen's eyes! Well don Mr. Moffat

Basq wrote: »
    Not an amazing episode by any means..

How does that not get you... right there, just right there?

...and it so was amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

gufnork wrote: »
    How does that not get you... right there, just right there?

...and it so was amazing!
    No, the ending was great.

But the episode itself, with regards to the Angels, never really grabbed me. Could be because I watched 'Blink' again this evening in preparation, and that's too hard to top.

I did like the idea of an "Battery Farm" for Angels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

A great episode. Reminds me of the demise of Aldric :-( (another great companion).

The Angels were their usual terrifying selves.

What was the significance of the Rolls Royce vehicle plate on the inside of the Tardis?

So the Dr has finally managed to erase himself from History. Interesting.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Thought the intro was a bit of a waste of time. Otherwise it wasn't too bad an episode with a reasonably fitting set up for the Pond's exit and quite a final one for them too.

Also guessing well get at least one more River episode from the set up in the plot (she's pardoned and a professor now etc..)

amen wrote: »
    What was the significance of the Rolls Royce vehicle plate on the inside of the Tardis?

So the Dr has finally managed to erase himself from History. Interesting.

Didn't notice the number plate.

Yes, the erasing himself from history has just got to be significant. Easy to miss this amidst all the excitement and sadnessI Wonder if they decided that it'd be 'a good day to bury bad news', so to speak, hoping we'd miss that little nouget maybe. I'd almost forgotten it already until you brought it up. I'm convinced it's going to be especially important otherwise why even go there. Gotta be good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Erased himself everywhere in history- except for Unit :)

Sniff at the end of that episode. Seriously. Just sniff.

Christmas is a long way off. Thank god for Tom Baker on YouTube!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The missus and I were bawling our eyes out twice during the episode. Absolutely loved it, brought the angels back to the credibility of Blink, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Wow, that was brilliant, what an ending, and rory's logic on the roof.
    In fairness tho some bits of it were a little ropey, but overall fantastic episode

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I wasn't crying. Manly tears of sweat in my eyes :pac:

cloud493 wrote: »
    I wasn't crying. Manly tears of sweat in my eyes :pac:

The big lump in my throat held mine back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

gufnork wrote: »
    The big lump in my throat held mine back.

I was being stoic. You know, not reacting.... oh god it was so sad. What a way to end their journey. More importantly, the doctors reaction, the idea that he lost someone else. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was sure Amy's glasses would be significant. I had this weird theory before the show that Amy would somehow be turned into a Weeping Angel (somehow tie the story into what happened her at the crash of the Byzantium) and maybe kill Rory. Then when I saw Amy with the glasses, I was sure Amy would disappear during the episode and The Doctor would notice a Weeping Angel wearing glasses like hers or something.

I mean, I liked what Moffat did, but I also think mine would have been pretty cool

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A fine farewell to an excellent Dr.'s companion. So the future Ponds which were present in "The Hungry Earth" are not viable now or was that issue re-booted previously in the "Big Bang" episode?

Penn wrote: »
    I was sure Amy's glasses would be significant. I had this weird theory before the show that Amy would somehow be turned into a Weeping Angel (somehow tie the story into what happened her at the crash of the Byzantium) and maybe kill Rory. Then when I saw Amy with the glasses, I was sure Amy would disappear during the episode and The Doctor would notice a Weeping Angel wearing glasses like hers or something.

I mean, I liked what Moffat did, but I also think mine would have been pretty cool

Actually that would have been freaking amazing. I would have loved that. I bet it didn't even occur to him. You should send him a link to your post just to really piss him off. I'm gonna go to sleep tonight and when I wake up yours is the one that Will have happened. Kudos to You!

I actually wasnt a big fan of the angels in that... but the Amy and Rory bits were amazing! I am still teary and its been over an hour. I loved how the doctor begged her to not go but she chose Rory. I never doubted she would but it was nice to see she didn't even consider it. I do feel a bit cheated though! I want to know what their life was like No big details or anything but maybe a flash of an image or two of them happy in New York in the 60s or being old, just to know what they did with their lives!

Also this whole thing bout not being able to travel to New York in 1938...could they not just move somewhere else and he visit...like he didn't say the entire year...just the city...seems a bit silly. Even if it was the entire year why not just go another year. I didnt get that bit tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

This is the ending I will choose to remember. Not something written not because it was a natural or good conclusion to the story but for the sole purpose of it being big and shocking and heartbreaking.

I can take a sad ending if I feel it's the right choice (how Donna left for example) but this felt like it was heartbreaking for the sake of it and I didn't like it. I liked the episode up until I realised what was going to happen but the ending undid all that good will

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

:( I'm actually kinda like the Doctor, I hate endings myself. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little glassy eyed by the climax -and in classic cinematic fashion they did so after it seemed the day was won.

I'm glad though Amy & Rory get to live their days out with each other, to be honest anything else would have been a horrible way to end their arc - after all that that couple had gone through the very least they deserved was a happy life with each other; they've had enough sh*t thrown their way, give them a break people!

That said, it's still a dreadfully bittersweet ending, given the Doc is left on his own again. It seems to have become a trend in new-Who that the leaving of a companion must involve some form of emotional torment for the Doctor - and it's one that I don't particularly care for: whatever happened to his friends just moving on with their lives - why must it be some form of crippling emotional drama now?

Otherwise I thought it was a good episode & it's to Moffats credit that 3 stories in, the Angels still feel like a threat & legitimately creepy. The cherubs alone were just shiver-inducing (though the Statue of Liberty - the bit that the trailers spoiled damnit - seemed a bit gratuitous in the end & neither made sense nor served any purpose).

Onwards and forwards I guess: where to next? We have 8 more episodes (discounting the Xmas one) and I'm sceptical they will be the same standalone stories we saw in the 5 just gone; what do we suspect might be the arc? It has been bubbling in the background & Rivers conversation about the Doctor's apparent disappearance from existence must surely play into this. There's also the matter of Jenna Louise Colemans character & how it'll tie into the Asylum... episode. She'll be in the Xmas episode - but as what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Liked the Angels bit - not loved - but liked.

However, the real point of this was the Amy and Rory moments. A great send off here and it was fitting in many ways. Amy, once and for all, chose Rory. They've been preparing the Doctor for this moment throughout the season but the Doctor's desperation was done very well. I want to see how he reacts next to periods of loneliness - River Song clearly stated she couldn't stay with him.

One of the stand out farewells in the show (Donna's was done well too).

Advertisement