Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Some real interesting points there! The whole deload thing is probably worth it's own thread. I suppose the whole deload/recovery ability can be quiet individual & vary from person to person?

It's just fashionable to be seen to be backing off. Makes you seem like you're really smart and scientific and sh1t. Really alot of the time it's an excuse to take a bubble bath rather than squat again because you're sore.
    d'Oracle wrote: »
    Seeing as you mentioned calf tightness, (and with the caveat that I aint recommending you do anything cos I know nothing about that injury or anything) I figured I'd throw this up, on the off chance that you haven't seen it.

I have had more success with this recently than all the hockey balls, sliotars or pvc pipes I have ever tried. Its rolling for the calves. It hurts a lot, but has helped me.

I didn't even know I had calves until I tore this one. To be honest unless it's really sore and preventing me from training I plan on ignoring them again. They've never been sore or tight or actually experienced an sensation other than possible inferiority when compared to my hulking thighs so I'll just leave them alone.

The physio is giving i the old sales pitch though. It's no longer sore or holding me back but apparently:

"You need a bit more work on it, we need to do some plyometrics and jumps"

What I'm hearing is

"I need another €55"

Really not sure about physios you know. What exactly do they achieve? Really bad injuries and imbalances need far more than physio. Rehabbing small to medium muscular issues can be done by yourself if you know anything about physiology.

I mean I was prescribed calf raises to rehab my calf. Groundbreaking stuff. I was expecting some Rocky V Ivan Drago computer printouts of my muscle density ratther than giving it an auld rub and a stretch.

I'm sure I've just never had the right injury to actually see their worth but I've had a few and I'm pretty underwhelmed.

Forgot to mention training! Lol.

Anyway I'm just preparing myself for when my new bar arrives in the next few days. Have benched/squatted/pulled with the bent bar the last few sessions. It feels horrible. Aside from being bent it isn't even bent evenly so one side hands 2 inches lower than the other.

Benched 137.5kg the other day with a nice pause so that's ok. Squat and deadlift feel very weird after the extended break but I squatted 225 x 1 at lunch today follwed by 2 singles at 215. Did some high bar squats with 140 for loads of sets of 4 afterwards just to get some leg action going and give my elbows a break. The bent bar actually excacerbates the elbow pain from low bar squatting which is not gas.

I tried zercher squatting off the safeties from the very bottom position to try out a potential ME exercise to cycle in there. Managed 160kg for a single, the limiting factor being my arms were bleeding and my forearms were in danger of snapping at that point. I'm sure I'll get used to it though and refuse to wrap a towel around the bar. No good can come from wrapping a towel around a bar. If you ever do that it's time to give up training and take up rollerblading or something.

The zerchers off safeties really hit your middle and upper back which is weakpoint of mine so they get my seal of approval.

seal-of-approval-6457.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

kevpants wrote: »
    It feels horrible. Aside from being bent it isn't even bent evenly so one side hands 2 inches lower than the other.

Ok, so you have your own specialty bar. No need to keep banging on about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

What kind of bar did you order? Obviously to late now but heard good things about this company in the UK. 2day delivery to Ireland.

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/equipment-and-bars/bars.html

You still carb back-loading? How is it goin?

What kind of bar did you order? Obviously to late now but heard good things about this company in the UK. 2day delivery to Ireland.

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/equipment-and-bars/bars.html

You still carb back-loading? How is it goin?

Ordered this one from Paul Roberts place. It's no Texas bar but according to him it's a good quality middle of the range bar and the Texas bar was going to set me back €500. I can afford to bend two of these before I'd end up out of pocket and my research suggest the texas bar would not have survived the accident that killed my first one.

Still trying to follow as many of the carb back loading principles as possible. Not ultra strict but I tend to not eat breakfast now, keep carbs lower on non training days and pig out after training.

• Advertisement

Ok update. Only started writing down my numbers again this week. The weeks up to now have really just been about trying to recover the strength I lost with the month off.

I'm desperately trying to achieve the overtrainings. I think my body's capacity for heavy training may be much higher than my stupid brain tells me it is. I've been lifting heavy, ususually including a 1rm, in the bench, sumo, and squat every week and sometimes multiple times a week. On days I don't feel up to atempting a new increased 1rm I just do heavy volume stuff.

Switched back to sumo stance for pulls for a number of reasons. My hip/glute/lower back issues are much improved but I still have that favouring of my right side doing the work. I can control it on squats and make sure I'm evenly distributing the effort but on heavy conventional deadlifts I can't and subsequently I'm treading close to the injury line all the time. So screw it I'm marginally weaker at sumos but over time I can hopefully overtake and get them stronger. They also pose no injury risk compared to convo pulls.

To give an idea of numbers at the moment:

Bench: Hit 142.5kg for a paused single the other day. That's a PR given my 145kg was touch and go. Trying to make sure I keep a decent pause. Strategy here is to bench at least twice a week and follow up competition benches with pin presses from chest height (dead bench) and overloaded lockouts from higher pins which are probably similar to floor presses. Working on benching as much as possible with the stretch reflex as possible. Anything else is ego.

Squat: Hit 235kg for a handy single the other day. Last night was meant to be a 140kg attempt but felt crappy on 220kg so I did 5 singles with that weight and took 170kg for 11 reps. I'd done 170 for 10 the previous week so just trying to make slight improvements where I can.

170 x 12 is kind of a magic number for me, I've done it before I think but it's kind of an indicator set. The reason is this:

I remember spotting that and I had literally just hit 170kg x1 for a new PR. Hanley then came in and repped it 12 times the bollox. He was was rep-monster at that stage but for some reason it sticks in my head. My pose at the end of the video says it all, laughing away and having the craic then I just stop, put my hand son my hips and stare at the bar and I was thinking "Jesus I've a long way to go". Well I'm there now so f**k you Jesus!

Deadlift: Sumo as I said above. 230 for a single the other night . Trying to do plenty of sets of 5 and high volume stuff like 7 sets of 2 in these. Dunno why. It seems like a good way to overtrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭COH

I've been lifting heavy, ususually including a 1rm, in the bench, sumo, and squat every week and sometimes multiple times a week. .

You sir, are an animal.

COH wrote: »
    You sir, are an animal.

Screw it. Nothing worse than being frustratingly undertrained. This way next time life prevents me training for 3 or 4 days in a row it may actually serve as a useful recovery period from what I put in when my life isn't a big ball of weighlifting style emo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Screw it. Nothing worse than being frustratingly undertrained. This way next time life prevents me training for 3 or 4 days in a row it may actually serve as a useful recovery period from what I put in when my life isn't a big ball of weighlifting style emo.

This is the exactly the attitude i take...

Should I train today?
    Yes
    Why?
    Cause i might not be able to train tomorrow!

no ****ing emos around here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

This is the exactly the attitude i take...

Should I train today?
    Yes
    Why?
    Cause i might not be able to train tomorrow!

no ****ing emos around here....

pfft, "train"

'Jimmy is outside there'

'Oh, yeah? Is he jogging?'

'Yeah'

*walks away*

• Advertisement

Missed a 145 bench tonight. Not even close. So loaded 155kg on the bar and did 3 singles with it from the safeties at floor press height (upper arms parralel to bench).

Have been following bench with sumos the last few sessions. Pulled 235 for a really nice single tonight. Then pulled 220 for a horrible single right after.

Moved on to a shoulders/triceps/biceps giant set thing just to claim my title of Lord Rippington Smythe the 14th Earl of Pumpshire.

Training as hard as I can as often as I can seems to be working. Wednesday nights session included a paused bench PR (145kg) and a sumo PR (240kg) within 15 mins of eachother. The remainder of the evening involved nutella and bagels and nom.

Going back to serious carb back-loading for the last week through to November for the comp. Need to come in sub 100kg.

First session in Revolution this Sunday. Can't wait to test out the equipment. Will make an attempt at a 240kg squat this weekend, might do it Saturday in the shed and bench in Revolution or might take a day off Saturday and put the squat on the chalkboard there to see if I can taunt Hanley out of retirement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Well that was fun... I feel like I now need a plan to get strong again.

Hanley wrote: »
    Well that was fun... I feel like I now need a plan to get strong again.

Yep good to have people other than spiders to talk to.

Trained in Revolution today. Benched 125kg for several sets of moderate reps then sumo pulls, 205 for 7 doubles.

Awesome place, racks and benches and bars are all top quality. So much different to my rattly now severely brain damaged rack. My hands are actually raw after the deadlifting, the knurling on the bar is that sharp. Seriously looking forward to training there.

The buddhists next door weren't happy with the noise of my deadlifts. Apparently repeated ground shaking and shouting "WOOOO!!! How you like me now!!!" aren't conducive to achieving a Zen like state. Then one of them came in and told us that the best way to deadlift was to start at the top. A fascinating insight if not a little mysterious, nearly as mysterious as to how he manged to find a pair of Dingo jeans in 2012.

In any case here's a video of same yoga master eating putrified meat.

That's not a joke by the way.

Holy f*ck balls.

Update so far, Squat 240 x 1 2 weeks ago, also hit that 170x12 I had targeted and upped the weight to 180 and got 10.

On Sumos I pulled 245 x 1 and am keeping up the habit of pulling after benching. Except for this week when my right hip was sore after a work golf day because I'm old and boring and totally not hardcore. If I could hit a fairway I would have been in with a chance of winning the longest drive though /olddude.

Bench, got crushed twice under 147.5 in the past fortnight. Need to pair back and just concentrate on dead bench for singles and stuff. Bench progress always tends to end in earth shattering failure and complete loss of strength.

In bodyweight terms, I'm fat. I fueled myself mainly on dinner boxes last week and whilst I'd been holding steady at 16 stone 4 (wife keeps switching the scales from kgs and I'm too lazy (fat) to switch it back) this morning I was 16 stone 11.5!! Whopper!

So I didn't eat carbs today, that should be enough.

Squat Session in RevFit this lunchtime.

Banged out 230 x 3 as my top set then hit 175x12 as my assistance. Impressive rack setup and the power bar is really sharp and thin. Looked like there may be a bending issue after 180kg but it didn't bend any more than that with 230kg and there was very little movement in the bar out of the bottom of the squat. Popped back to straight when the plates came off too. Worth dealing with a little whip for the sake of the sharper bar.

Used the fat grips for curls for the first time too. Pumpalicious.

In summary. Deadly place to train.

Wednesday in RevFit was a missed 140kg bench which was annoying but par for my latest bench downturn. Just need to time an upturn for November.

Sumo'd 200kg for a set of 6 followed by a set of 4 before having to run out of the place to get to a meeting while the two "entrepreneurs" hung around comparing who's shorts had the most aggressive slogans.

Trained in the shed last night and felt utterly crap going into it. Couldn't get fired up for any of my warmup squats. Add Rammstein...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Not sure what's going on in that Revfit place? First Hanley is squatting topless, now you're doin some kinda crazy stuff with your shorts - it's enough to make a grown man cry :eek:

Awesome squats btw...

Pavel66 wrote: »
    Not sure what's going on in that Revfit place? First Hanley is squatting topless, now you're doin some kinda crazy stuff with your shorts - it's enough to make a grown man cry :eek:

Awesome squats btw...

Haha that's not even the worst of it.

You should see some of the photos coming outta it.

Sumo'd 200kg for a set of 6 followed by a set of 4 before having to run out of the place to get to a meeting while the two "entrepreneurs" hung around comparing who's shorts had the most aggressive slogans.

I LOL'd hard here... Hanging around in shorts all day FTW.

That squat was awesome. Complete brute force and pig ignorance got it thru.

I might try those lava rows w/ 40kg and fat gripzz when I burn out on the Pendlays.

• Advertisement

Highlights of the past week or two...

- Missed 250kg sumo pull about 18 times in my shed due to bullish stubbornness.
    - Decided 5x5 protocol will be employed for sumos up to comp
    - Tried to squat 210kg 5x5 the next day in Revfit.
    - Got one set and my balls retracted back into my body.
    - Front squatted 120kg for a few sets.
    - Dropped the ba5tard onto the safeties.
    - Hanley's balls retracted back into his body.
    - Pulled a rhomboid in the process.
    - Only I could pull a rhomboid.
    - Attempted 210 5x5 in Revfit a few days later, couldn't unrack 100kg due to rhomboid.
    - Barry cradled me in his arms and did some Dirty Dancing with me.
    - Squatted 210kg 5x5
    - Sumo'd 190kg 5x5 as per above revelation, will try 195kg this week.
    - Got a knee wraps tutorial off Hanley
    - Hurt both my calves and I only did 2x2 with 200kg
    - WTF is that about?
    - I'll fucking tell you what that's about
    - I walk the weight back in on my toes.
    - This is the moment I injured my left calf in my first set and right calf in my 2nd set and my left calf back in May.
    - Was worth the wraps session to figure that out alone.
    - I need to walk weight back in on my heels
    - I'm giving too many updates and regret using this format
    - I'm too lazy to re-write this
    - I'm gagging for a cup of tea and some gingernuts too
    - Fat bar rows/curls/front raises are pumpalicious.
    - Hanley's pumps are a danger to our national security
    - I have managed to add slabs of muscle to my body in an arrangement that nobody would ever find attractive.
    - Big quads... no hamstrings or calves
    - Big traps... No delts, biceps, triceps or forearms
    - Loads of upper, middle & lower back mass... but specifically not on my lats
    - Big arse... big waist
    - No pecs
    - Floor to ceiling mirrors are unforgiving
    - Form an orderly line ladies
    - I'm off to advise people on how to get a beach body in the Health & Fitness & Naturism Forum.

Ginger nuts you say?

Ginger nuts you say?

Ever since you spotted my bench and had to pull the bar off my chest I've had this weird fascination with them. Hmmm.

Tonight in le shed.

215kg squat 5x5. This is a long video showing me slightly losing my mind at times and struggling to finish pretty much every set. I left absolutely nothing in that shed tonight. Delighted to get it on video. There may be some dancing and some posing. I'm sorry. I also burst a blood vessel on my chest. Either that or I have super-skin cancer because there's a giant mole where there was none 4 hours ago.

Love the shake of the head on the very first rep. It's like "WTF am I doing?!"

Also, question - The "5" on your shorts?! What's that all about? Is it the number of sets? Number of reps? Something else?

Also, the pose at the end, thank you.

And the music, so fitting.

...it was like a deleted scene from Top Gun.

Love the shake of the head on the very first rep. It's like "WTF am I doing?!"

Also, question - The "5" on your shorts?! What's that all about? Is it the number of sets? Number of reps? Something else?

I made an utter tit of the very first rep.Messed everything up. First set was a b1tch.

Oh and the guy in the shop told me the 5 stands for the average age of the workers in the factory that make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

That's a great video, and ironically enough judas priest rising in the east is on the telly now. You've become a squatting machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Also, the pose at the end, thank you.

And the music, so fitting.

...it was like a deleted scene from Top Gun.

Watched the first rep of the 5x5 and I was like 'oh dear, it will be too tiring to even watch the rest of this". Then decided to skip to the end to watch the pose. You should go for the Mo Farrah "M" next time. I'm sure your training regimes have a lot in common.

• Advertisement

Spent the last few weeks getting used to wraps on squats. Immensely frustrating but starting to get some carryover. 240x3 without too much stress on the 3rd rep this week and my sumos seem to be in good shape as per below which was also this week. With those two sessions in the bag the third session of the week was without doubt the biggest puss-out of a session I've ever had. Myself and Hanley just held eachother for an hour then went home.

Advertisement