Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postdoc Salary Question

• 06-07-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,178 ✭✭✭✭

If you're a postdoc on the IUA scale, is pension taken out of your paycheck? Or is it just tax?

I just want an idea of how much you take home on it? Say at grade 1 on the scale? (37750)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

Pension contributions, pension levy, and all that is taken out if you are a postdoc.
    As far as I am aware if you are there less than six months you can apply to get any contributions back (minus a percentage administration fee).

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

Depends on where you are.
    Some pay pension on top of 37K while others take pension from it.
    Also, 1st point of the scale can be less with the 10% government haircut from a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,178 ✭✭✭✭fits

ITs mostly irrelevant now as I quit the country anyway. Like most post doc researchers I know...

Last year we lost 4 Post Docs to one MNC alone. There are good paying positions available, it's just a matter of having the CV and experience to get them.
    Interesting read in the Sunday Indo yesterday, one article saying 4th level is the way ahead and another saying that 3rd level is unnecessary in the current climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 incorgmember

After all deductions its ~€2300/month

• Advertisement

bduffy wrote: »
    Depends on where you are.
    Some pay pension on top of 37K while others take pension from it.
    Also, 1st point of the scale can be less with the 10% government haircut from a couple of years ago.

Are there postdoc positions that are immune to the pension levy and deductions?
    Are you referring to research positions in industry?

On the salary scales, here are the latest recommended ones
    Salary Scales 2011

Yes, some institutions do not apply the 10% cut. I have a joint project with another Institute (TLI) and there are differences in salary and pensions.
    TLI 1: Pays 37K + Pension
    TLI 2: Pays 33K no pension (Pension is to be returned to SFI as it's exchequer funded - HEA instructions of 23rd November 2011)
    Assuming both are for 1st time employees in public sector.
    Note: The IUA scales are not binding in some TLIs are Researchers are not recognised as falling under agreed pay scales.
    Scales cover: Academic, Technical, Administration and Maintainance Staff only.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kevmy85

Sorry for high-jacking the thread a bit but does anyone have any information on the annual leave allowances for researchers? Statutory is 20 days but is it common to get more than this?

20 days is standard, but very few people actually clock in so it's a loose system based on trust!

kevmy85 wrote: »
    Sorry for high-jacking the thread a bit but does anyone have any information on the annual leave allowances for researchers? Statutory is 20 days but is it common to get more than this?

It completely depends on the institution, 20 days are statutory although some universities close over for 4-5 days over Christmas and 3 days over Easter and give those days as extra annual leave. So it really depends on where you are.

As said by bduffy, it also really depends on the department/university. Some now ask you to fill in annual leave forms for every day signed by the head of department, some don't and do it based on trust knowing that researchers don't do 9-5 Monday-Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

kevmy85 wrote: »

Mine are quite informal, but I always put the forms through if I'm taking a full week off (i.e. proper break). 20 days also. If need to take a day, I usually just make up the hours through the week, or work weekends. Which I seem to be doing anyway, regardless.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kevmy85

Thanks guys.

I remember this type of system from my days doing the PhD I just wondering if it was most formal for post-docs or if it was tighter in other groups. I'm considering going back to a post-doc after a couple of years in industry where your days off are quite regulated, it might take me a while to re-adjust!!

Advertisement