Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2 arrested in suspected surveillance of Garda HQ by subversives

• 27-09-2012 9:14am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

[url] http://www.thejournal.ie/arrests-surveillance-harcourt-garda-611691-Sep2012/ [/url]

GARDAÍ HAVE ARRESTED two men in central Dublin over suspected cover surveillance of a Garda station in the city centre.

The two men were arrested after Gardaí based in the Harcourt Street station, which forms the Garda headquarters for the Dublin area, became aware that a person known to them had booked a room in the Harcourt Hotel, directly across the street.

Gardaí searched the room and seized equipment which they believe was being used for the surveillance of the station.

It later emerged that the hotel room had been booked in a false name.

The men were arrested on Grafton Street yesterday evening and are being held under Section 30 of the Offences against the State Act, which deals with the membership of illegal organisations and the provision of assistance to them.

No further information is available at this time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Very interesting development. It seems security at all garda stations will need to be stepped up as we are clearly at war now. The only reason I can think of for spying on Harcourt st to find a sweet spot to plant a car bomb. This is serious shi"t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Very interesting development. It seems security at all garda stations will need to be stepped up as we are clearly at war now. The only reason I can think of for spying on Harcourt st to find a sweet spot to plant a car bomb. This is serious shi"t.

You wouldn't need to book into a hotel facing harcourt sq GS to park a car bomb as there is amble parking around it from very early most mornings,It also being my opinion that no group here would have the balls/neck/courage to blow up one of our main garda hq,Its more (imo)a case of the Garda/detectives being watched and identified and also seeing what sort of cars are going in & out,Its also not the first time this has happened,If I remember correctly a few years ago a man was caught in a flat facing the GS with scanning and camera equipment,Believe he was a PIRA member and was jailed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 153 ✭✭rollcall

I remember this happening about 20 years ago when I worked in the Square, it was always an awful location to have a sensitive premises like that for reasons too numerous to mention, and as far as I know we are still renting it, so we dont even own the place yet! We should never have left the Castle in the first place, or should have taken some other more secure premises elsewhere in the city. Between dissidents, fueding gangs and druken morons passing by all night, we should have a much more secure location, surely there must be some NAMA office black lying around doing nothing?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

rollcall wrote: »
    I remember this happening about 20 years ago when I worked in the Square, it was always an awful location to have a sensitive premises like that for reasons too numerous to mention, and as far as I know we are still renting it, so we dont even own the place yet! We should never have left the Castle in the first place, or should have taken some other more secure premises elsewhere in the city. Between dissidents, fueding gangs and druken morons passing by all night, we should have a much more secure location, surely there must be some NAMA office black lying around doing nothing?:confused:

That could be dangerous though, it might save AGS some money which they could invest in transport instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

We had the same in limerick back in the Post Jerry McCabe times. Scrotes, and Rahead scrotes noting numbers of cars coming out of the car park of the station, and times etc. Some cars being followed home on earlies, that ****e.

It pays to take an indirect route home sometimes, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Wasnt there listening equipt placed in Lucan during the Veronica Guerin investigation?

I imagine this could have lead to was pictures being put on the net and possibly ending some UC work which could have some hairy outcomes for all involved. Arent the windows of the middle block tinted?

Advertisement