Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that you like about airsoft

• 25-09-2012 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

To counter the thread on things you don't like about airsoft, let's spread some good vibes about the sport lest it gets too negative:D

For myself as a relative noob, I like the fact that I have realistic firearms that let me enjoy handling and firing an aeg, and improving my aim as the weeks go by.

I like mixing with like minded individuals at skirmishes and enjoying a great day out for 25 quid.

I like how the overwhelming majority of airsofters are dead sound individuals who welcome noobs like me, with no hint of superiority or elitism.

I like the thrill of hunting the "enemy" and that vicious satisfaction I feel when I see the unsuspecting enemy walking into my ambush as I wait to open fire.

I like the adrenaline rush of knowing I am being hunted and wondering if the wind is moving that bush or is there someone lying in wait.

I like the after game chit chat where I seem to make new friends every time, and we can stand around going over the day's events and having a laugh at how we ambushed/were ambushed.

I like the honour system where honest guys call their hits and good marshals make not so honest guys see the error of their ways;)

I like to look around airsoft shops and have a chat with the guys working there.

I like the sheer, damn friendliness of the hobby where ironically we are out to shoot one another for most of the day but shake hands and have a laugh afterwards.

Just my two cents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Personally for me the biggest part of airsoft is escapism.

I cannot take it seriously, and as such it is pure hobby (a multifaceted one at that!). I collect gear, upgrade, modify and otherwise customise my gear for fun and personal enjoyment, and also run about the place playing.

The biggest aspect for me is the collecting/plinking. If there was no skirmishing, odds are I would still have the majority of my collection. I love the gaming as well, but as a casual once-in-a-while affair...keeps it more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I love when marshals shake things up in games, hit you with the unexpected. One of my best memories is of taking a VIP hostage and holding him in our base for half an hour, which the marshal told us would secure victory. Our base was under the trees and the marshal waited until the last second to tell us the "chopper" couldn't land in a forest. Cue a mad dash to open ground, BBs flying all around us, trying to keep our hostage un-hit while he pretended he couldn't move any faster than walking pace. :rolleyes: Good times. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Has to be the brapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

The fact I get to go out every week and shoot people. The tactics that go into a good days gaming. The great laughs that you get from chatting to guys on sites about the days events. But my most favourite thing is sneaking up behind a well placed sniper and watching him panic when he relises I got sights on him and he can't get his side arm out quick enough. Doesn't happen enough but when it does oh yes satisfaction. Good times lads good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

For me as much as I would say I'm like inari that collecting is big for me and that it's a hobby, it's going out for a days gaming and chatting to people from all walks of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

Firstly, guns. Absolutely love my aegs and pistols. I've built up a nice little collection of aegs and love nothing more than to spend money having them upgraded so that they're the best they can possibly be whatever the expense.

Secondly, simply getting your loadout ready before a good days skirmishing. Putting on the BDU's, getting your rig kitted out, gun ready. The simple things in life:P

Thirdly and most importantly, meeting people through the sport. I've been lucky to meet some great people in my 4 years playing and have made some good friends along the way. At Berget this year, I traveled with 2 lads I'd never met before, we hooked up through here, got on great. Over there we were in a team of 3 Irish, 1 Greek, 1 Scottish and 1 from Spain. We all had a ball, got on fantastically, so much so we keep in contact through FB and are putting a team together to join up at next years event. I've often sold stuff through here, meet the person and spend and hr or so just yapping about Airsoft, our gear and have a laugh tellin different stories. Ye just gotta love the sport really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭eversmann

My Ghillie Suit and the panic it instills in the other team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The gear...every man I have show my gear to think its cool, can help but wrack a GBB pistol can you.

The people...everyone I have met has been most patient of my friendly fire, stupid questions etc....very welcoming bunch. I think now as I advise some noobs that I am glad to see new people as it means that sites and retailer will stay open and the sport stays alive.

The exercise...its unreal especially if you go out with a view to running and jogging everywhere.

Oddysairsoft on youtube....great channel and the production values are something else for a amateur site.

Seeing young lads into the hobby, and being honorable. If give me hope that generally young chaps are a good bunch and not yobbo's.

Did I mention the gear........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Yeah I forgot about Oddys YouTube vids. A must see for all aspects of the sport, although I took great exception to his latest taken at our WW2 themed skirmish at Redbarn last Sunday where he showed "his" great ambush (didn't get me though;))

What about when I got you Oddy and your three team mates in the jeep while you were attacking our base? Or when I and a new mate set up a perfect ambush on a patrol of 5 guys heading towards our base, where he got their attention from the front and I ambushed them from the side, or when my patrol was engaged in a frontal assault on the enemies dug in position and I sneakily crept round their flank and took them all out, or when an enemy sniper was pinning us down and I got him with a shot to his helmet (and I immediately apologised and we shook hands:)), or............

So much sheer bloody fun for 25 quid. I love it, and it's great exercise too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Love the feeling of unpacking your newly bought Item be it an aeg, pistol or gear and going "f***ing class".

The few moments before a skirmish. Heart beating, adrenalin slowly building then the signal to begin.

Having a conversation with a person, in person, rather than here on boards, about all things airsoft.

The sad but great feeling when the day has ended, you re-cap on your day and are already planning your next skirmish. Stupid effing work stopping me from going next few weeks :mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

Yeah I forgot about Oddys YouTube vids. A must see for all aspects of the sport, although I took great exception to his latest taken at our WW2 themed skirmish at Redbarn last Sunday where he showed "his" great ambush (didn't get me though;))

What about when I got you Oddy and your three team mates in the jeep while you were attacking our base? Or when I and a new mate set up a perfect ambush on a patrol of 5 guys heading towards our base, where he got their attention from the front and I ambushed them from the side, or when my patrol was engaged in a frontal assault on the enemies dug in position and I sneakily crept round their flank and took them all out, or when an enemy sniper was pinning us down and I got him with a shot to his helmet (and I immediately apologised and we shook hands:)), or............

So much sheer bloody fun for 25 quid. I love it, and it's great exercise too:)

Agreed all oddys vids are class always hankering to watch the latest installment.

Trebob wrote: »
    Agreed all oddys vids are class always hankering to watch the latest installment.

Ahem, I am in the latest vid;). First time, I'm sitting down before the "war" kicks off wondering why I stayed up till 4am watching Black Hawk Down when I had to be up at 8 to go skirmishing:rolleyes:

Second time you see me as I'm lying in wait behind a tree along the enemy's main line of advance.

I'm in an Oddy video. Oh fame at last:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I guess at the core for me, after spending the vast majority of my early to mid teens playing Counter-Strike, is actually being able to dress up " looking like a solider" and shooting people.

I've also made some incredible friends and acquaintances, and also had the best job I'd ever had for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Shooting people with plastic balls, while dressed like a walt.

And verbal abuse (incoming/outgoing).

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭I Armour I

Building something from worthlessness into something you can cherish... i.e. chopping and changing a GBB or AEG....

Also when you show off or look at other airsofters collections and last of all shooting the hell out of one another with replicas!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Good drills.

Berget

That "moment" when you are all suited up and walk out of the safe zone, take a mag from your vest and put it into your aeg.

GAME ON! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

That "moment" when you are all suited up and walk out of the safe zone, take a mag from your vest and put it into your aeg.

GAME ON! :D

such a simple thing really isn't it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Or that awkward moment when yoh realise you should have been bombing up your mags instead of talking s**t

• Advertisement

T4RGET wrote: »
    such a simple thing really isn't it :)

Yeah but I love hearing the click as the mag goes in and knowing that my gun is now "live" and dangerous;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

adjusting the hop up.
    Don;t know why this is so satisfying. guess it's probably because my AEG's range with the hop up off is pretty bad but with one or two turns it's unreal :) finding the sweet spot :p:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭kev-Oakridge

For me what I love about airsoft is the craic you can have with the people and the simple fact that airsofters are generally the most helpful and obliging bunch of people out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

That disgusting, sickly good feeling knowing that there will always, ALWAYS be another gun, vest or piece of kit that you 'NEED' and that 'Santa's coming to town' feeling you get waiting for that package.

Dressing up as a WW2 'Jerry' and looking less out of place than normal :)

Having younger and newer players being assigned to teams going "Yes, I'm with Killinator" :D

Having two M9's and going all Max Payne in a CQB pistols only game!

Sneaking.....sneaking.......sneaking

And of course the great airsoft population in general!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Grenade and shotgun CQB and the look of shock and surprise on a punter as you suddenly come of out nowhere pop them in the chest and storm on past them to the next victim...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Having a shoot out with the wife & not having the Gardai beat down the door to arrest me.

Having a shoot out with the wife & not having the Gardai beat down the door to arrest me.

Oh how I envy you!!!

Having a shoot out with the wife

Stop giving me ideas!!!:D

Oh wait, you're talking about airsoft guns:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Having a stand off with a member of the opposing team.

Your dug in, he is dug in, you fire he ducks, he fires you duck, until that perfectly aiming volly takes him out, not so nice when your taken out though .......

• Advertisement

Having a stand off with a member of the opposing team.

Your dug in, he is dug in, you fire he ducks, he fires you duck, until that perfectly aiming volly takes him out, not so nice when your taken out though .......

And judging that perfect moment to open fire at him, just when he thinks it's "his turn" to fire and he pops up just as your bb's arrive on target :D

Advertisement