Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

• 29-08-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I wasn't sure where to put this. They're not really 'pictures of beauty' so I reckon a thread like the one in the motors section 'today I did something to my car thread' would be a good idea.
    If one exists please merge. Couldn't find one on a quick search.

Anyway today I had white race blades sold to me and fitted in my lbs 'cyclezone' in Blanch in preparation for the lovely Irish winter.

CD8308E8-CFE0-41AF-8E72-EEC1039739EC-1428-00000412624049A6.jpg

21EF2DCF-773E-40E0-8130-80845C76B15D-1428-000004126D50CD50.jpg

737825D8-6FE8-4D0F-B0C6-A3D7E3602158-1428-0000041269A9A8E3.jpg

532F0939-BD49-45B9-866B-93DB28B76157-1428-0000041266E2DD52.jpg

They also fitted a speedometer yolk I got in Lidl ages ago for me....yes I'm that lazy! Will upgrade to garmin soon... Photos to follow.

Ps nice guys in the Cyclezone shop. Told me about the Clonee Wheelers. Must get out with them soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Today I broke a spoke on a old 27" wheel. Bah. Off to get a new spoke tomorrow so :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

I did something pretty crazy to my bike this afternoon...... I cleaned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I got the ride today...

..on my bike :(

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Nice idea for a thread.

I fixed at puncture and changed my tires back from Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC to Conti GP 4000S. Stupid expensive experiment, not happy with the Vittoria durability at all. Looked good tho with the tan side walls :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If you haven't already done it, put some electrical tape under the clamps on your forks and your seat stays. Otherwise the paintwork will get damaged. Put a good wrapping on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Dubba wrote: »
    Nice idea for a thread.

I fixed at puncture and changed my tires back from Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC to Conti GP 4000S. Stupid expensive experiment, not happy with the Vittoria durability at all. Looked good tho with the tan side walls :pac:
    I upgraded from the Vittoria open corsas sc's to Veloflex masters specifically because of both the look of the tan sidewalls and the superior grip and feel compared to the gp's both of which the sc's provided, but with the Italian flag too :-)

Those Veloflex masters look nice alright but I think the GP's have such good puncture resistance, perhaps by having a harder compound than most - they don't seem to cut up a much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Wasn't today but but I noticed that at some pont recently I buckled the back wheel of my 2 month old road bike :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Very reasonable commuter wheels if you're not expecting much crosswinds and they're not too heavy either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Those Veloflex masters look nice alright but I think the GP's have such good puncture resistance, perhaps by having a harder compound than most - they don't seem to cut up a much.
    Race tyres for racing bike :-) when I start to commute on it I'll take those compromises into account.
    I do agree on the longevity aspect though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Installed headset and forks onto frame today:
    DSC_0376-1.jpg

The purists may not like my choice of group set: Dura Ace 7400
    DSC_0373-1.jpg
    DSC_0372-1.jpg
    Wheels:Mavic Mach 2 CD2 laced to DA 7400 hubs Vittoria tubs
    DSC_0405.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Put the lights back on for early morning commuting

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Beautiful frame taxman!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

New gatorskins and toe clips until I get the courage for clipless pedals... Soon.

C6B9E520-139B-4F13-8BD5-D555F0E0DD4C-218-0000001589DB25A4.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

shiny new ultegra chain and cassette

ultegra.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Roadih'

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Crippens1

Installed headset and forks onto frame today:

Is there any chance you could take a moment and give some details?

That frame is ;)

What vintage is the Dura Ace groupset?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Gasco

Crippens1 wrote: »
    Is there any chance you could take a moment and give some details?

That frame is ;)

What vintage is the Dura Ace groupset?

+1 Tax Man, don't keep us in the dark, that frameset is a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Frame: Colnago made with Columbus Thron Super tubing. Not much info around re tubes. From what I can gather its a mid range tube set. Slighter wider in diameter than say my Master frame.
    Groupset: DA 7400 family. Mainly early 90's. The groupset and wheels all came from the same bike so everything has equal wear, which thankfully isnt much,especially when you consider it's age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Hard to follow that Colnago but...

I started building my Wilier today. On went the chainset and cassette, seatpost, bars and stem to start building my winter bike.

The stem and bars are being moved from my track bike, hence the bar tape. The track bike will get narrower bars and a new stem. The frame was bought off Marq-dublin from here, who told me it was an Italian BB, which I conveniently picked up from Everti, who bought an Italian 105 bb in error. Turns out, Marq was also mistaken!

Got the Chainset and wheels off Aido1111 through adverts.

The seatpost has been lying around unused for a while, so glad to finally find a project for it!

Shifters, rear mech and brakes are coming from Zippe, and the rest of the parts are either coming off another bike, or are new. Eventually, it will have 105 5600 shifters, 105 5700 front and rear mech, Sora brakes with Dura Ace Pads, Conti Grand Prix 24mm tyres, a black Specialized Toupe Gel saddle, Crud mudguards and (say it quietly) M520 SPD pedals.

Many thanks to the boardsies and advertsies who I got stuff off, they've all been great so far.

100_0479.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I replaced the headset on my Focus Variado last night.

The bike is 2 years old with approx 5,000kms clocked up. The headset was making noises and closer inspection revealed lots of movement on the lower bearing. As it's nearly always used in dry conditions and stored indoors, I didn't think it would need changing at this early stage. Anyway, I emailed Wiggle (original suppliers) and they gave me the details for the FSA equivalent. I emailed Focus and they confirmed this model would work (I didn't want to get another original part because I wasn't too impressed with the life of the first one).

I actually ordered the headset from CRC because they were much cheaper that Wiggle; it's an "FSA Orbit ZS-3 Black Aheadset". When it arrived, I stuck it on a shelf where it sat for a few months. I wanted to do the job myself but understood if I got it wrong, the bike would be disabled awaiting a fix from the professionals ... :o

So, suitably you-tubed, I tackled this last night. Removing the old one was ok, but I was surprised to see lots of ball bearings - the old headset cap said “Cartridge Inside” … Installing the new headset went ok up to the point where I needed to put the new cups into the frame. I had a clamp - the type normally used for woodworking - but it simply couldn't persuade the cups to go in square. In the end, I gave up and used a hammer with a flat piece of steel to prevent impact damage and to cushion the blow. It worked, and the 2 cups went in cleanly. Reassembly was also reasonably straightforward, and I noticed that the new bearings were actually cartridge and that the FSA bearing was much better sealed that the original.

It was too late (and wet!) to go for a test run afterwards but I’m confident that it’ll all hold together when I next hit the road (pun not intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Today I got my 7sp Raleigh ready to take over full time commuting duties.
    It was all pretty with white bartape, saddle and tyres but white's not a colour that's going to survive winter too well.
    I kept the chain and cassette, but changed wheels and tyres so had to switch the cassette over. I then changed the bottle cage (adding a Bontrager pump/co2 holder) and saddle. That done I changed the brake levers and cables. Finally I put new bartape on.

229311.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Today I got my 7sp Raleigh ready to take over full time commuting duties.
    Nice one Dermot. Are you putting mudguard on that beaty?

Today* I did something to the bike - fell of it. On the flat. While standing still. In front of a line of traffic.

I'm blaming the clips. It was their fault, somehow.

*+/- a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Seweryn wrote: »
    Nice one Dermot. Are you putting mudguard on that beaty?

I've a rear "clamp onto the seatpost" jobbie which I'll use for the next few days but will put a proper set on later in the week. I like the look of the race blades but this yoke has eyelets for a proper set so will see if I can get something similar in looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Fitted a new tiagra 12-27 cassette and SRAM pc951 to the commuter over the weekend. lovely sound coming out of it on the way to work this morning. Also discovered my 9 speed shifter is starting to give gip, so hopefully not fatal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

So... new bottom bracket bearings again, new chain, new cassette, new pedal axles with bearings, new jockey wheels... Good to go for another month or two :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Tried to fix my front derailleur this morning. No go so off to the lbs with you :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Not on my bike but changed the front brake calliper on my girlfriend's commuter. Nothing fancy, just a standard Shimano long reach model. The old one just worn out - spring not pulling back properly, arms very wobbly and the wear on the pads was just random at best and she was complaining about a spongy feel on the front brake. The new one seems to be the business, though noticeably heavier than the old one.

Advertisement