Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2 Weeks in Vietnam - suggestions?

• 11-09-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm going to be passing through Asia with two weeks to spend in Vietnam. I'll be flying into Ho Chi Minh City and leaving from Hanoi (albeit possibly via Ho Chi on the way back).

Just wondering a couple of things:

1. Are there any 'must see' places that people would recommend to visit?
    2. Any places that are over-rated and could be left out of an itinerary?
    3. What are the nightlife / social interaction option like for meeting fellow backpackers?

(I'll be staying in hostels mostly)

Thanks a mill!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leverarch12

Halong Bay and Hoi An are absolute musts. A lot of people love Sapa but I hate trekking so I avoided it.
    Hue, Nha trang and mui ne are all ok but if time is really tight its not worth stopping really. Hanoi and HCM are brilliant.

If I was you I would start from Hanoi and work my way down as from what I gathered thats what most people seem to do, so if you are a solo traveller this might be better. How old are you? Hanoi backpackers is a great hostel to start in if you are young. Then you can book your bus down and there will be loads of travllers heading the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭celtictigermrk2

Halong Bay and Hoi An are absolute musts. A lot of people love Sapa but I hate trekking so I avoided it.
    Hue, Nha trang and mui ne are all ok but if time is really tight its not worth stopping really. Hanoi and HCM are brilliant.

If I was you I would start from Hanoi and work my way down as from what I gathered thats what most people seem to do, so if you are a solo traveller this might be better. How old are you? Hanoi backpackers is a great hostel to start in if you are young. Then you can book your bus down and there will be loads of travllers heading the same way.

Thanks a mill for that. I kinda gotta start in Ho Chi first as I'm meeting a mate in Hanoi but he won't be there til about a week after I arrive.

What's the social life / mixing with fellow backpackers like??

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leverarch12

You will be able to meet loads of people. I found Vietnam the most sociable of all the countries as everyone goes the same way either up or down so you end up meeting the same people over and over or even forming a group and sticking with them for most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I kinda gotta start in Ho Chi first

That's a good thing. You are starting out in an easier place, less of a culture shock! Hanoi is amazing. You're gonna have a ball, you may regret not spending more than two weeks though. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Hanoi is one of the best cities I've ever been to, completely mental but amazing and the food is so good! You can easily organize a trip to Halong Bay from any hostel (they'll be doing their best to sell you excursions every time you pass reception). Halong Bay is just beautiful and an absolute must see, I did a 2 night trip staying on Katba (sp?) island one night and on the boat another night.

I loved the Sapa trip also, great if you're into trekking, its very easy going though, don't need to be a pro.
    Hoi An is fabulous too, nice and relaxing after mental Hanoi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭celtictigermrk2

Cheers guys, lots of great advice so far. Starting to really look forward to it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Drink the local beer for the whole trip its was around 10-20c a glass when I was their and it was lovely, its served in these little bars all over the place...Be aware of women coming over to ya if you twisted drunk, seen pockets been dipped, great place, get all your clothes made, suits etc

Advertisement