Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BlackBerry Playbook Users

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The predictive text predictions that pop up above the keyboard?
    Click the cog on the top right hand corner of the home screen.
    Scroll down the right hand side to Keyboard
    Click off on "Show predictions and suggestions"
    That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Newimperial

Cheers Cookie
    Another question for you if you have time. Tethering, can I tether to any 3G bluetooth phone? Years ago I hooked up a Nokia 6820 to my PC via a dongle. This was great till I got the bill. I,m thinking of moving to 3 for the unlimited info. But would I be able to tether to just any old BT phone or one that supports tethering. And would Ineed to have a tethering plan? From what I've seen online O2 that have a tethering plan. It would be handy to have a connection when I'm out And about,I'm not too fussy about paying extra for a plan if I only use it the odd time.
    Sorry about the long questions and thanks for the help with the predictive text.

Cheers

Newimperial

Cheers Cookie
    Another question for you if you have time. Tethering, can I tether to any 3G bluetooth phone? Years ago I hooked up a Nokia 6820 to my PC via a dongle. This was great till I got the bill. I,m thinking of moving to 3 for the unlimited info. But would I be able to tether to just any old BT phone or one that supports tethering. And would Ineed to have a tethering plan? From what I've seen online O2 that have a tethering plan. It would be handy to have a connection when I'm out And about,I'm not too fussy about paying extra for a plan if I only use it the odd time.
    Sorry about the long questions and thanks for the help with the predictive text.

Cheers

Newimperial

Yes it should be possible to tether with any bluetooth enabled device although I've only tried with a BlackBerry and iPhone. You would need a tethering plan but that depends on the network. For instance I'm with Meteor and I can tether for free with my inclusive data. O2 as you say, do charge for the privileged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

If you have a Blackberry phone with the Blackberry data add on, you don't need to buy a tethered data pack or pay tethering charges, you simply use the Playbook as a (Bluetooth) extension of the phone so you can surf the internet all day long on the PB screen but using the data that comes with your phone package. You don't even have to take your phone out of your pocket to do it but you can if you want as it allows you to use your phone as a mouse or a keyboard if you so wish....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Yes it should be possible to tether with any bluetooth enabled device although I've only tried with a BlackBerry and iPhone. You would need a tethering plan but that depends on the network. For instance I'm with Meteor and I can tether for free with my inclusive data. O2 as you say, do charge for the privileged.

I've tried it with my Galaxy Note and keep getting an error saying the phone can't be found even though it shows it in the list.

Am I missing something?

• Advertisement

Not sure. Will test tomorrow with some friends phones but in the meantime why not turn on a wifi hotspot on your phone and connect to it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not sure. Will test tomorrow with some friends phones but in the meantime why not turn on a wifi hotspot on your phone and connect to it that way

Yea it works as a hotspot alright - more curious really then I thought maybe its limited to a BB phone

I already had it hooked up to a Nokia E50 just to see if the bluetooth is working. I couldn't use the internet because the SIM wasn't enabled yet. From the point of using the phone as a Modem is there any difference between 3G and 4G? If I don,t need the latest and greatest phone all the better. I really would like to avoid tethering plans if possible. I noticed in the city centre last Sunday there are quiet a few wi-fi hotspots around the place. So it's really just for every now and again a fairly basic bluetooth phone would probably do the trick if it's easy to set up.

I already had it hooked up to a Nokia E50 just to see if the bluetooth is working. I couldn't use the internet because the SIM wasn't enabled yet. From the point of using the phone as a Modem is there any difference between 3G and 4G? If I don,t need the latest and greatest phone all the better. I really would like to avoid tethering plans if possible. I noticed in the city centre last Sunday there are quiet a few wi-fi hotspots around the place. So it's really just for every now and again a fairly basic bluetooth phone would probably do the trick if it's easy to set up.

There is no 4G in Ireland so it doesn't come in to the equation but in the furture 4G should be a whole lot better then 3G.

What network are you with at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Hooked up my playbook to the TV via the micro hdmi and was very impressed with the quality. I had a look at the hd demo video that was on it and a few hd youtube videos. However, when I tried to watch rteplayer or the tv3 player, on both the advertisements just keep on repeating and I never got to see the programmes themselves:( Is this an issue for everyone or just me?

• Advertisement

It doesn't happen to me at all I'm afraid. Are you on your home wifi?

It doesn't happen to me at all I'm afraid. Are you on your home wifi?

Yes, its the home wifi.No issues with playing it on anything else:confused: Will check my settings on the playbook.

can you watch the videos on your pc/mac on the same wifi?

Close the browser and try again

can you watch the videos on your pc/mac on the same wifi?

Yes, no problems watching it on anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Started a thread on this end of last year however didn't take off :) I really like my playbook however prob don't use as much as I should. I mainly use to stream sports from internet using a service online, great quality and the wifi holds connection perfectly.

The screen is immense, superb quality, I sideload android apps to it, however getting hold of the converted android apps isn't easy, wish more were available in the app store.

Haven't looked into the software updates, any idea of improvements expected?

The beta 2.1.0.840 is nice. The browser needs more improvements (although by disabling javascript in settings it's noticeably faster with the obvious downfalls) but other wise the whole OS is very stable and responsive. I presume you've gone through this list: http://playbookbars.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Its been a while I must have another look through that cheers.

Not too many playbook users around and lots of people are probably better off buying a nexus however I really like the playbook and wouldn't get rid now, had the opportunity a while ago when it wouldn't charge and could have pushed for my money back but took a new one.

There is no 4G in Ireland so it doesn't come in to the equation but in the furture 4G should be a whole lot better then 3G.

What network are you with at present?

Hi again right now I have a Meteor number but I am thinking of going to 3 because some of my friends are there already. Plus the all you can eat data (5Gb per month before it gets throttled).

The all you can eat data is subject to fair usage of 15GB per month before throttling but you cannot tether with this (unless you have a blackberry smartphone) whereas the data with meteor is usable for tethering without any charges (unless you go over your allowance)

Well I guess I,ll be staying with meteor so

• Advertisement

Well I guess I,ll be staying with meteor so

Monitor your usage though as tethering will use up more data then mobile phone data usage

I'll watch that alright. All you can eat data is a misnomer though. I mean if it's throttled after so many Gb's. Still it's nice to get something for almost nothing.

15GB is a massive amount of data for mobile use, I have 3GB with my Blackberry and despite using it practically every day I never use more than 300-400Mb per month of my allowance and quite often its only about 150Mb.....

Hi again. My first playbook died during the week. The USB port gave up the ghost. In fairness to PC World they just gave me a new one no questions. Anyway I need a cradle charger as I'm not willing to go through all that again. Anyone got any idea who sells them here? I'VE looked on Ebay but only seen ones in the States.

I picked one up in the bargain bin in PC World Airside a few weeks ago in a battered box for €12.99

This is what I have:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-PlayBook-Rapid-Charging-Stand/dp/B004XVM0S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348293888&sr=8-1

It's a little dear but it's perfect. It connects via a magnet so no having to push things in to the port. It's at a nice angle for viewing too.

That's the job I need all right.

Thanks.

Thats the one I got...!

Didn't notice it was magnetic though although it does dock really easy.
    Does a good job charging it too, I share it with my daughter and we never seem to have to queue for it.....

They double up as rapid chargers too so they should charge twice to three times as fast as the inclusive charger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

This time around, RIM is placing extra emphasis on its BlackBerry App World catalog, vowing to launch BlackBerry 10 OS with more apps than any other newborn OS -- that's a special jab at Microsoft's Windows Phone. RIM has had a spotty track record in this department; its rigidity and stodgier tools helped it largely miss out on the app explosion that occurred for Apple's iOS and Google's Android platform. Nowadays, consumers consider the number of apps in a platform as much as a phone's design, camera, or display size.
    As such, RIM and its older BlackBerrys have been at a significant disadvantage. Over the past year and a half, the company has aggressively hammered home the point that BlackBerry is more profitable for developers than rival platforms. At BlackBerry World, Heins said he guaranteed that developers would make $10,000 in the first year, or RIM would make up the difference.

It looks nice. Video is halfway down.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57518838-94/rim-pushes-blackberry-10-into-the-spotlight-at-blackberry-jam/

http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/blackberry-10-preview-rim-pace-20232/

Advertisement