Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Fest - New Cinema Event for Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

That_Guy wrote: »
    My guess for Saturday's mystery film is one of the following:

Frankenweenie, Hotel Transylvania or Resident Evil 5 (I hope not)

We have been told that the only 3-D we will see at the fest will be for Paranorman and the Rise footage, so I would think that means all other 3-D films would be out of the running. As the films you have mentioned are all getting wide releases in 3-D, I dont think any of them will be the mystery movies.........could be wrong though !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Just a heads up for anybody squeamish Stitches is rated 18 for very strong violence and gory images. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

I've a question for those that went last year: I know that the doors are open at 10 but is there a queue to get in before that? How early do I need to be there if I want to get a decent seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Looks like Saturdays surprise film with the phones not allowed in at all will be a pretty big one, Taken 2 perhaps?

AllWasWell wrote: »
    I've a question for those that went last year: I know that the doors are open at 10 but is there a queue to get in before that? How early do I need to be there if I want to get a decent seat?

It seemed to me last year, while it was a very enjoyable event, it was organised at the last minute (like conceived and completed in a month). This was borne out by the fact that when I got to Cineworld on the Saturday last year, it was just a bunch of people milling about waiting for the doors to open and the usual scrum in once they did.

I would love to see some kind of organised queue this year, and one of the organisers making sure people who have questions get them answered, but somehow I would say it will be the same again.

As for the time to be there, I intend to be there at 9:30, but then again I am a pedant when it comes to cinema seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MovieFest

Hi Irishash,
    Just to answer your questions,
    It took a LOT longer than a month to organise last year, it was being worked on for 12 months, or longer.

The people "milling about waiting for the doors to open and the usual scrum in once they did." is nothing to do with our organisation, we advertised that the doors would open at 10 and they did at 10am sharp.

We are advertising doors opening at 10am this year again, however taking your feedback on board and noticing people may arrive earlier than the advertised time we will open a few minutes earlier.

We also have plenty of staff on over the weekend who can help with your questions, or if you have anything in particular you need help with feel free to DM me and I'll be able to help.

Hope thats all ok? Enjoy the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MovieFest

P.S @e_e STITCHES is rated 16 for Irish audiences by the IFCO.

MovieFest wrote: »
    Hi Irishash,
    Just to answer your questions,
    It took a LOT longer than a month to organise last year, it was being worked on for 12 months, or longer.

The people "milling about waiting for the doors to open and the usual scrum in once they did." is nothing to do with our organisation, we advertised that the doors would open at 10 and they did at 10am sharp.

We are advertising doors opening at 10am this year again, however taking your feedback on board and noticing people may arrive earlier than the advertised time we will open a few minutes earlier.

We also have plenty of staff on over the weekend who can help with your questions, or if you have anything in particular you need help with feel free to DM me and I'll be able to help.

Hope thats all ok? Enjoy the weekend.

First off, sorry. Was not trying to cause offence. I greatly enjoyed last year and I am sure I will enjoy this year too. I have a lot of respect for the people involved and the organization required to put something like this together.

The organization on the whole was fantastic, but some aspects I feel could have improved upon and felt rushed or not thought out properly, like the issue of the doors opening. I say this because, while we all hope people are mannerly and courteous, this is not always the case. And last year I saw many people who waited a good while outside in order to make sure they got a good seat, simply lost in the scrum when the doors opened.

Would it be possible to get a couple of members of the fest team to the cinema early and make sure there is an orderly entrance. I am sure a lot of people would appriciate the effort.

Yet again, thank you and the fest team for having this on again, and I am sure the weekend will be a massive success.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Agree with the queuing issue, it's annoying when once the door opens people just rush in. Could be easily sorted with a couple of barriers and one or two staff directing people into an orderly queue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Crap, I've just found out that I'm not going to be able to get there til quarter to-ish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

irishash wrote: »
    I make it a point to get to event like this early in order to give myself the best possible chance of getting a good seat. If I mess up and get a bad one, I am not going to bitch and moan about it, and def would not try and get a better seat later. It say on the advice issued today that it is first come, first serve and people should (and for the most part did last year) respect that.

It was great on the Saturday, and from what I saw, people stayed in the same seats. On Sunday, when people went out for some food between movies etc... some people that were either latecomers or decided they didn't like their seats took the seats that we had been in, which tbh was pretty bad form.

MovieFest wrote: »
    P.S @e_e STITCHES is rated 16 for Irish audiences by the IFCO.
    I was using the BBFC rating, but ok.

Really looking forward to tomorrow.

[QUOTE
    As for the time to be there, I intend to be there at 9:30, but then again I am a pedant when it comes to cinema seats.
    Anyone else here, picturing Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory :-)

wextext wrote: »
    [QUOTE
    Anyone else here, picturing Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory :-)

Not the first to say that today....

Nah, I am not that bad. Just always like to have a good seat, when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pinetree

Just having a guess but I think today will be Killing Them Softly
    and Sunday The Sweeney

pinetree wrote: »
    Just having a guess but I think today will be Killing Them Softly
    and Sunday The Sweeney
    Today's mystery film was perfect pitch.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981677

Walked out of Perfect Pitch in utter boredom. Was the remaining hour a comedy masterpiece? What I saw was proof that test audiences are not to be trusted though.

The other 2 were good horror comedies though, albeit pitched at different audiences. I loved the the look and feel of Paranorman, and that score from Jon Brion was really nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Perfect Pitch was awful. I decided to leave about an hour in. Regardless, I enjoyed the rest of the day very much and look forward to tomorrow (despite the fact that my expectations have now been severely lowered for the mystery film).

I stayed for the entire movie. I'm not saying it was brilliant but it wasn't the worst film I've ever seen. Mainly bland with a couple of funny moments. The first two films were brilliant. Really looking forward to tomorrow, especially Looper.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

First two films were great and I loved the Wreck it Ralph stuff and that 1st Life of Pi scene was incredible.

Pitch Perfect was a seriously poor choice of movie. I was honestly amazed. Before it got to the title, I though they were going to turn it off and say "Just Kidding!"

This is a group of serious movie fans, not teenagers. Im sure some people loved it, but it is not the type of movie I would expect at something like this.

Basically, If you like Glee etc, you will love it. If not, don't bother.

My favorite random quote off someone when it ended was: "I think that movie may have given me cancer"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Phew, thought I would have missed something worthwhile with the surprise film :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Doubt anybody is selling a few tickets for tomorrow's event?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

First two films were great and I loved the Wreck it Ralph stuff and that 1st Life of Pi scene was incredible.

Pitch Perfect was a seriously poor choice of movie. I was honestly amazed. Before it got to the title, I though they were going to turn it off and say "Just Kidding!"

This is a group of serious movie fans, not teenagers. Im sure some people loved it, but it is not the type of movie I would expect at something like this.

Basically, If you like Glee etc, you will love it. If not, don't bother.

My favorite random quote off someone when it ended was: "I think that movie may have given me cancer"

Completely agree, very poor choice. Some good gags but only 2 or 3. It should be under the genre of Musical not Comedy.

Hoping tomorrow is better but please don't be The Sweenny :cool:

I tend to lose any empathy for a character who is represented as "independent", and an "outsider" just because she listens to David Guetta. :rolleyes:

Glad to see I didn't miss anything else in the film though, the music was the annoying tipping point for me. Just so lazily done and mediocre.

Have to agree with everybody on the mystery movie choice pitch perfect. It was like a movie version of glee and I can understand why the test scores were impressive as Americans lap this stuff up. It wasn't that it was so bad, it was just so formulaic. Pick any teen movie where an outsider goes somewhere new, ridicules whatever peer group wants them, is forced to join them, grows to like it, messes up, gets taken back, and gets the guy/girl. No need for spoiler tags there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Did they actually boast it got good test audience scores? They are notoriously nonsense.

Did they actually boast it got good test audience scores? They are notoriously nonsense.

To quote the introducer of the movie - "scores off the chart" - or words to that effect. It may have been "off the scale".

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cas2kx

I'm guessing the special screening tomorrow is already out in america/coming out here soon because they are not asking use to leave our phones with security (As per the timetable on Movies.ie)

Also how did they not watch pitch perfect's trailer and not think to themselves that a good amount of the audience would not enjoy it -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 36 anonjoe555

Benzino wrote: »
    Doubt anybody is selling a few tickets for tomorrow's event?
    iv one spare if ur interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

To quote the introducer of the movie - "scores off the chart" - or words to that effect. It may have been "off the scale".
    I believe it was "tested through the roof"

It was very meh. Couple of laughs, couple of the songs were decent, but it was overall bland.

Advertisement