Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Markets in Europe

• 28-08-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to go on a break in December with my mam and sister to a Christmas market. Strongly thinking of Cologne. Can anyone recommend this or another one??? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Krakow in Poland is meant to be one of the best around according to a workmate of mine. Haven't been to it at that time of year but I can vouch for the fact that Krakow is a beautiful city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Strasbourg is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Vienna!
    Book some tickets to listen to some classical music, go see the Vienna Boy's Choir on Sunday morning and then spend the rest of Sunday in the Christmas markets before flying home that evening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

I really want to go away for a weekend around Christmas as well. Somewhere snowy, with good Christmas markets and just a great Christmas atmosphere, recommendations would be great should be booking soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Definitely +1 Vienna, went there with my mum with the Travel Department. It was probably a bit dearer then if we sorted it ourselves, but it was great to have some of the trip planned out for us, and we still had plenty of time to do our own thing as well. They have lots of Christmas markets of different sizes around the city and its a lovely experience being able to wander around the markets at night in the snow. You mightn't actually buy much at them, as the handmade decorations/cribs etc are very expensive and the cheaper stuff will be made in China and you'd get the same in the shops here (this happened to my mum, she bought this lovely glass lantern, we spent ages wrapping it in clothes to make sure it wouldn't get damaged on the flight home, only to find it on sale, cheaper, in our local discount shop when we got home:rolleyes:) but just spending the day wandering around, looking at the markets in the snow will get you into the festive spirit.

As previous poster said, definitely try and go to a classical music evening. Neither me or my mum are really into classical music but thought since we were in Vienna we'd give it a go. It was fantastic, the music was brilliant (was surprised how much of it was familiar) and it also incorporated some ballet dancing as well.

Was also in Prague at the Christmas markets, again with the travel Department, but I didn't think it was as good as Vienna. While its a lovely city and there was plenty to see around the city, there wasn't many Christmas markets (or any snow) so it didn't have the same atmosphere as Vienna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ghartley

Dusseldorf is great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Copenhagen is magical. Check out the Tivoli !!

The company i work for takes us there just before christmas evey year for a weekend.

2340729.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Overflow wrote: »
    Copenhagen is magical. Check out the Tivoli !!

The company i work for takes us their just before christmas evey year for a weekend.

2340729.jpg

I hate you.....:D

It was fantastic, the music was brilliant (was surprised how much of it was familiar) and it also incorporated some ballet dancing as well.

Sounds like you went to the exact same thing we did! :D
    Was it in a building near Michaelerplatz by any chance? A relatively small room.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Was it in a building near Michaelerplatz by any chance? A relatively small room.

I can't remember the name of the place though I probably still have the ticket somewhere so I must try find it. Ya, the room wasn't that big, though my attendance at classical music evenings is limited so I haven't much to compare it with. Its a lovely city though, definitely recommend it!

By the way Overflow, any vacancies at your company?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Cologne is a great spot for the markets,really nice atmosphere.

Bruges is really nice i find in the winter near christmas too.

Found the ticket (I'm a bit of a hoarder, always keep all tickets/brochures/maps from holidays), it was in the Kursalon Wien, on Johannesgasse so might have been the one you were at. Here's a link to the show http://www.soundofvienna.at/sound/ if anyone here is heading to Vienna and wants to take in a concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

angel2011 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to go on a break in December with my mam and sister to a Christmas market. Strongly thinking of Cologne. Can anyone recommend this or another one??? :)

Cologne is great try and stay in the hotl at the Dom it 4 star but well worth it witha complimentary mini bar refilled twice daily and it's right next to one of the big markets.

Of all the markets I have visited its the nicest with the best atmosphere, Munich was a close second though.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

I went to Weisbaden last year and it was magical.

Brilliant experience.

I have some photos that I will dig out and post up later :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

We went to Budapest a couple of years ago - it was absolutely wonderful and there is a smashing old style cafe (Gerbeaud) on the same square as the market - it was like stepping into a time machine back to the 1930's. Skating in the city park afterwards was pure magic as well (we spotted the skate rink in the Van Helsing film afterwards). Many happy memories :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNDeeuTUApM

Weisbaden, Germany. Christmas 2011

dscf4051jl.jpg

dscf4056s.jpg

dscf4057u.jpg

dscf4083fb.jpg

dscf4074g.jpg

dscf4085o.jpg

dscf4084h.jpg

dscf4080u.jpg

dscf4069vz.jpg

dscf4067r.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

WOW :eek: That place looks amazing!!

lockie1983 wrote: »
    WOW :eek: That place looks amazing!!

Yes it was pretty amazing :D

Cant wait to go back again this Christmas :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Heidelberg is not mentioned but lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Believe it or not Edinburgh is pretty good for Christmas markets - they have German/Austrian and Scottish(ish)mix plus the pubs are pretty good too(this from an Irishwoman living in Glasgow;)!!!). For a change this year were off to Munich(has anyone been?):)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Yes, benn to Munich. Fabulous. Was there number years ago and it was magical. Have been to Dusseldorf, Cologne, Essen, Berlin - all lovely, but going back to Munich his year as we feel it was best of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Unfortunately the funds won't stretch to a trip to the continent for a market.

But I have heard that the one in belfast is supposed to be good.
    Has anyone here been, if so is it worth going to?

If someone could recommend a hotel near to belfast city hall it'd also be appreciated(budget ~200yoyos)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Unfortunately the funds won't stretch to a trip to the continent for a market.

But I have heard that the one in belfast is supposed to be good.
    Has anyone here been, if so is it worth going to?

The one in Belfast is pathetic comapred to an actual Continental Market, have been to loads across Germany, basically pick any German city and u'll find a great market.

Belfast by comparison is about 20 stalls, 3 of which will be Bratwurst stands, 2 more will be Beer Tents and the rest will be random stuff you'll find at most markets. Have you been to the one in Galway, its almost exactly the same as Belfast.

Though if you do want to come, Belfast is a lovely city, just don't think you'll spend more than an afternoon at the market. Plus I'd recommend the Park Inn by Radisson Hotel, less than 5 mins walk to city Hall

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in Cologne? Somewhere close to the markets and the bars :-)

Found the ticket (I'm a bit of a hoarder, always keep all tickets/brochures/maps from holidays), it was in the Kursalon Wien, on Johannesgasse so might have been the one you were at. Here's a link to the show http://www.soundofvienna.at/sound/ if anyone here is heading to Vienna and wants to take in a concert.

I think ours was on Herrengasse.

I see some people are mentioning Edinburgh and Belfast. Edinburgh is very nice for a weekend just before Christmas and another place that is absolutely fantastic is Bath!
    I was there for the Leinster game two weeks before Christmas last year and they have loads of little markets around Bath cathedral. Not necessarily Christmas markets but there's a great atmosphere and Bath is an incredibly picturesque city.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Countdown1982

I have just booked 3 nights in Munich the first week in December.
    Really looking forward to it.:D

We have 3 full days, I have never been to Munich, any recommendation of site to see, best christmas market etc.

Thanks alot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I think ours was on Herrengasse.

I see some people are mentioning Edinburgh and Belfast. Edinburgh is very nice for a weekend just before Christmas and another place that is absolutely fantastic is Bath!
    I was there for the Leinster game two weeks before Christmas last year and they have loads of little markets around Bath cathedral. Not necessarily Christmas markets but there's a great atmosphere and Bath is an incredibly picturesque city.

Myself and my gf went on a Christmas market roadtrip through mid and southern England last year about 3 weeks before Christmas- it was brilliant. We started in Birmingham (biggest German Christmas market outside Germany apparently, it is HUGE and very nice), then Bath (I agree with you, Bath is beautiful and the location of the markets around the Cathedral is hard to beat!) then down to Cornwall for 3 days taking in a few local markets and catching a traditional local paper lantern parade, which was really very cool- all the local groups and school children design and make paper lanterns that get lit up and paraded through the town. We ended up on a steam train from Bodmin that was done up to be like the 1950's (including the station!) which has mulled cider and Santa going up and down the train! Very cool. With cheap flights and cheap hotels it worked out very reasonable, and it was actually quite an unusual thing to do for a few days. I really enjoyed it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

We are heading to Budapest on the 10th december for 5 days- christmas markets and ice skating on the lake.

i cant wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Maigh Eo

Hey
    Thinking of having a girlie weekend at the Belfast Christmas markets on November 17th any thoughts??

Advertisement