Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thank You Waterford

• 02-08-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Im just back from Waterford and i have to say that i had an enjoyable time and the hotel was great.I loved the view of the river.Waterford is one of irelands most underrated cities i find it's shopping facilities to be more than adequate and for a small city there's a great selection of pubs and restaurants.I also like the way it's a port city like Cork as far as im concerned Waterford is way better than the overhyped Galway.Galway is just a town with a little green and traffic congestion.In fact i also prefer it to Dublin actually it's now my second favourite irish city after Cork but how come im one of a very few amount of people that recognise Waterford as a proper city and one of irelands treasures.How come the vast majority of people in this country see Waterford the same way they see Clonmel in other words how come people compare Waterford to others provincial towns?How come people compare a place like Galway to cities like Cork and Dublin!I also loved walking around the waterfront and just relaxing around there.The people are so friendly and that was even more impressive when you take into account that this was the aftermath of Corks win over Waterford.:pac:The negatives and to be fair they were very few.

1The view from my hotel room window of a North Waterford flag flying from a house over in the ferrybank.:pac:
    2There was a gang of individuals wearing tracksuits and baseball hats exchanging verbals with another group of similarly dressed individuals on Michael Street or was it Broad Steet.It was outside Sherwoods electrical anyway.They were just loitering around creating a menacing atmosphere in the middle of the afternoon. Waterford is as bad as Langerland when it comes to skangers anyway but i never noticed anything like that in Langerland!
    3I walked up to Ballybricken green.There was a drunken brawl on the green with some guards trying to bring it under control.There was also a few skinheads drinking on a bench as well as a lot of dodgy individuals loitering around.I thought i was in Sherrif Street or Rialto in Dublin instead of Waterford!Mind you i was told later that there was someone seriously assaulted and mugged by junkies in Ballybricken a few weeks ago.
    4The lower end of Georges Street or O'Connell Street to be excact.Is in a very rund down state.If you put a good few more pubs shops and restaurants into that street you would have quite a lively area.Instead you have bit of a wasteland.

All in all despite the inferiority complex from some of the locals and a lack of investment Waterfords qualities shine through.By inferiority complex i mean they way certain people seem obsessed with knocking the place into submission.Such an attitude is very rare both in Cork and the other cities.How come no one is able to sell Waterford as a destination?Just look at how that overgrown village Galway markets itself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Well done ---
    pity about the bad points -
    but the viking triangle, waterford crystal, friendly people, shops, best restaurant selection outside of Dublin.
    its a great city - shout about it

Advertisement