Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metal Gear Solid - The Movie

• 30-08-2012 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

A Metal Gear movie has been announced at Konami's Metal Gear 25th Anniversary event. It will be made in association with Columbia Pictures.

Avi Arad (X-Men, Iron Man, The Amazing Spider-Man) will be producing and was on stage at the event.

"For many years I fought to bring comics to theaters - and video games are the comics of today," Arad said, as reported by attendee John Ricciardi on his Twitter feed.

There are no further details at this point, but Famitsu has some photos from the event.

2012 marks the 25th Anniversary of the Metal Gear series; the 'Tactical Espionage Action' series was first launched on MSX back in 1987.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/08/30/metal-gear-movie-announced
    Low expectations for this to be honest, I don't think there has been any good adaptation of a game to date and the amount of cutscenes in MGS make it a movie in its own right. :pac: I might dress up for the release though, will cost a fortune though........

thebox1.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Surprised it took this long....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The street fighter animated film was great, but most live action efforts have been fairly poor. MGS seems an easier adaptation than most, though, in that it's intrinsically quite cinematic.

We'll see how it turns out, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

"Video games are the comics of today.".

Comics are the comics of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hugh Jackman for Solid Snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think this could be the best video game adaptation should they do it right also which game will they base it on ? I'd vote for MGS 3 Snake Eater to start off (I presume there'll be sequels if it does well)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Based on the fact that they announced it at the same time as they announced a new Metal Gear game [MG: Ground Zeroes], I think it will be based on that.

Though I would prefer a Snake Eater adaptation; that way they can go through the series cronologically if its a success [ a big IF]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Be no good without the voice tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

krudler wrote: »
    Hugh Jackman for Solid Snake.

Whoever's going to be playing Snake needs to have a serious mullet of hair! Either former rugby international, Shane Byrne or maybe the original snake-eater :p:D -

hardtarget-snake.jpg

Fairly doubtful about the success of this one tbh...I had a look at the list of some videogames converted to movies here and the quality is shockingly bad (compared to comic book adaptions, for example). Maybe this one will turn it all around though!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Fairly doubtful about the success of this one tbh...I had a look at the list of some videogames converted to movies here and the quality is shockingly bad (compared to comic book adaptions, for example). Maybe this one will turn it all around though!

Oh, you're just saying that because over the last 10-15 years we've had a reasonable number of comic-book films that weren't atrocious. Some of us still remember how bad Steel, the 1990 Captain America or Barb Wire were (and let's say nothing about Batman & Robin...) ;)

That being said, it's kind of sad that barring the animated Street Fighter 2 film, generally the best thing you can hope for from a videogame film is something like Silent Hill where it's still kind of crap but at times captures the atmosphere and creepiness of the games...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well considering that the games have something of a reputation for being bloated messes, with convoluted plot-threads & overindulgent, pretentious exposition, I'm not exactly jumping up and down about this news. As someone said, I'm surprised it took this long. I hope though Kojima has a token role in this production, or at least has the sense to let people who understand cinema create it, and not get directly involved himself; otherwise it's a trainwreck waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

They need david hayter for snake imo. Storywise, they should stick to mgs 1. They could actually make something really cool with shadow moses, the cyber ninja, metal gear, johnny!

Has Uwe Boll been signed on to direct then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

sheehy83 wrote: »
    They need david hayter for snake imo. Storywise, they should stick to mgs 1. They could actually make something really cool with shadow moses, the cyber ninja, metal gear, johnny!

Except the part of Liquid shooting down two F-16 fighters with an old Soviet Hind gunship that has no air to air weapons. Even though you don't actually see that in the game.

Escape from New York is almost a MGS movie, the game is based on it to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Famoso

Sorry for the bump, but I think Bryan Cranston would be perfect to play Snake. He even has the gruff, coarse voice.

http://tinyurl.com/93h2jjw

Bar the glasses. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Famoso wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump, but I think Bryan Cranston would be perfect to play Snake. He even has the gruff, coarse voice.

eh, except that he's in his 50's

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Famoso wrote: »

He's in his late 50's, he's too old. He could play Col. Campbell well though.

I'd vote for either Hugh Jackman or Christian Bale in the role. I think they could do it some justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well considering that the games have something of a reputation for being bloated messes, with convoluted plot-threads & overindulgent, pretentious exposition, I'm not exactly jumping up and down about this news. As someone said, I'm surprised it took this long. I hope though Kojima has a token role in this production, or at least has the sense to let people who understand cinema create it, and not get directly involved himself; otherwise it's a trainwreck waiting to happen.

That's a very good point, especially if you consider what (I think) has been the best video game adaptation to date, Silent Hill.
    For all of it's achievements, it was a bloated, convoluted mess, which could not appeal to broader audiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

Escape from New York is almost a MGS movie, the game is based on it to an extent.

Pretty much, and the game is partially a movie in itself.

A movie with the quality of the snow fortress sequence in Inception would be nice. But hey, a man can dream within a dream within a dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

If we're talking about a movie based on the Shadow Moses game, Snake is already pretty old (not grey hair and robotic eye-patch, but he's getting on). I expect all the usual names to be thrown into the hat for Snake, but I'm not expecting any of them to go near this.
    Looks-wise, I think Sean Bean would have it down, but that Sheffield accent is a long way from David Hayter.

The stories in all MGS games are completely ridiculous, over the top messes. They're fantastic as storied games, where you constantly need new reveals to propel the story forward, but in a two hour movie, I just don't see it being done. I expect whatever director is put at the helm to build his own One Man Army movie and just pepper it with Metal Gear Solid references

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I always though Josh Holloway would be a good fit for Snake. He's a decent actor, has the physique and general look and would not blow the budget just on his signing. Also, he was good in his cameo in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

300.holloway.lc.022811.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Famoso

krudler wrote: »
    eh, except that he's in his 50's

I meant that he'd be a good actor if there was a MGS: Guns of Patriots film released.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Surely David Hayter has to be on writing duties? If they don't get him then you'll know theyre not taking it seriously

Surely David Hayter has to be on writing duties? If they don't get him then you'll know theyre not taking it seriously

He could write, star and if Wolves is a success direct the film. For years Hayter used the name Sean Barker, the character he played in Guyver: Dark Hero for his voice acting work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,297 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Skerries wrote: »

Lots of good options to play him, no doubt. But this role is all about the voice

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If he doesn't hide under a cardboard box at least once in the movie it's all bollix and a waste of money making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,837 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Skerries wrote: »

He is good actor and a big name now

I thought Frank Grillo would be good but not well known for a leading role

Advertisement