Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Villagers

Options
  • 26-06-2012 9:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Any news on this(these) guy(s)? It's been a couple of years now, is there a new album in the works or what? BaJ is probably one of my favourites!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

They aired some new material recently at a gig in the Spirit Store which somehow completely escaped my attention so I missed out. Caught the end of their set at Body and Soul but I only heard one new tune which was quite synth-heavy; so maybe that could indicate the sonic direction for the upcoming album.

Looking forward to it, Conor J. is an extremely talented musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Really like Becoming a Jackal too so looking forward to their new one. Read in a gig review recently that it's due for release in early 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

damm Im tired googling introduce the band ..dont assume we all know them.:cool:

Well, it's different in this instance seeing as Conor J. is Villagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noideaforaname

Stompbox wrote: »
    Looking forward to it, Conor J. is an extremely talented musician.

Also an absolute gent, my old band once opened up for Cathy Davey few years back in Whelans and he was playing in her band, lovely chap.

• Advertisement

And now for something completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Stompbox wrote: »
    And now for something completely different!

Slight change in direction - I like it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

I wasn't sure where it was going at first but I got into it. I like it too!

I loved Rubberbandits' take on it.
    https://twitter.com/Rubberbandits/status/241616661541695489

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Was at these last night in Whelans - superb stuff. Love the new direction they're headed

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭midlouth

Saw them in the Spirit Store in Dundalk at the start of the summer, they were trialling out a few of the new songs, will be interesting to what they went with for the album. Only a couple more months until its release! Can't wait to see them live again to see how they are now compared to when they first started playing the songs with an audience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

gratuitous posting of my fav villagers song...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

New song from new album due out January

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Gig announced in the Savoy Cork, can't wait to see these guys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Was at the gig in Whelans the other week. I'm not the biggest fan but the new material blew me away. Half the crowd didn't seem to know what to make of it but it certainly sounded like a complete evolution from the first album.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

opr wrote: »
    Was at the gig in Whelans the other week. I'm not the biggest fan but the new material blew me away. Half the crowd didn't seem to know what to make of it but it certainly sounded like a complete evolution from the first album.

Opr

I caught a fecker of a cold at that gig-still worth it though, if I could only shake it fully I'd be happy now

They played Other Voices in Dingle last night, recording was on RTE2 at 7pm, you can watch on RTE player now. They are on at the beginning, good interview with Conor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Good enough music, only heard material from the first album though. Still think The Immediate should reform though.

The Immediate's album was top notch; Becoming a Jackal didn't have the same lasting appeal for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Random post.

Just by chance listening to Marvin Gaye and the intro to What's Happening Brother immediately reminded me of the middle section of I saw the dead...

Listen from 2:45

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Heard this flicking through channels and wasn't sure if it was Villagers or not but turns out it was, great new track.

• Advertisement

Another gem from Conor O'Brien. Short, simple and brutally honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

I thought the band format didn't do him any favours, he's much better looking after everything himself. The new stuff sounds great.

Advertisement