Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Haven't watched the 4th quarter of fridays game yet but wow our O line is a mess. If we don't get Gaither and Hardwick back going at 100% we haven't a prayer. This lad Davis who hasn't played in the NFL for what 2 years could end up being our starting Left Tackle. Molk will be a good one but he was played with friday nite. The only good thing I am taking out of the preseason is the pressure we appear to be generating on D. We sure need it cos we are struggling at corner now too. Just hope Pagano doesn't ever lean on the prevent rush max 4 (Manusky sent 3!!) defense. Unleash the dogs in obvious passing downs to protect the back end.

Looks like Nate wide right Kaeding will get his job back. Someone else is going to improve in the kicking dept when they pick up Novak. Will never like Nate until he gets a couple of clutch playoff kicks. I am not convinced the guy has it mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Leslie91 wrote: »
    First cut day guys... we're at 88 need to get to 75. Who are your unlucky 13!?.

I say;

Cattouse
    Bryant
    Payne
    Barnes, Jason
    Brown, Eddie
    Embree
    Guess
    Harrell
    Hayes
    Hobbs
    Malone
    Scafe
    Toudouze

Troutman and Dombo to IR

I'd agree with most of that. Think they might try keep Harrell and get him to PS as he has looked ok. Also thought they'd try PS Embree but it looks like Willie is the preferred one of the 2. Would cut Baxter and maybe Sperry instead of these 2.
    Its a shame to see Hayes on the list as hopes were high for him at the start of training camp but he hasn't performed in the games (same could be said for all our RBs)

OAOB wrote: »
    I'd agree with most of that. Think they might try keep Harrell and get him to PS as he has looked ok. Also thought they'd try PS Embree but it looks like Willie is the preferred one of the 2. Would cut Baxter and maybe Sperry instead of these 2.
    Its a shame to see Hayes on the list as hopes were high for him at the start of training camp but he hasn't performed in the games (same could be said for all our RBs)

No way we cut Baxter after what happened to Molk friday. Difficult decision coming now ref center. I would have defo cut Baxter and had Hadnot back up Nick on gameday with Molk not dressing but now jeeeeeeeeeez not so sure.

Sperry will be gone and in fact might be let go today (to give him best chance of finding a job ala Castillo - the old adage).

No way we cut Baxter after what happened to Molk friday. Difficult decision coming now ref center. I would have defo cut Baxter and had Hadnot back up Nick on gameday with Molk not dressing but now jeeeeeeeeeez not so sure.

Sperry will be gone and in fact might be let go today (to give him best chance of finding a job ala Castillo - the old adage).

I don't think they'll cut Molk but you might be right about letting them fight it out in the last game for the spot. I think Hadnot will be back-up C/G on gameday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Roscoe Parrish has been released, no word on any others yet

• Advertisement

Parrish
    G. Brown
    Trautwein
    Embree
    Payne
    Barnes
    E. Brown
    Hayes
    Taylor
    Toudouze
    Guess

Troutman and Dombrowski to IR

No huge surprises here

Parrish
    G. Brown
    Trautwein
    Embree
    Payne
    Barnes
    E. Brown
    Hayes
    Taylor
    Toudouze
    Guess

Troutman and Dombrowski to IR

No huge surprises here

Watched Q4 last nite. Trautwein was horrific at left tackle, good riddance. Like you say no shock ref most of em. Parrish instead of Sperry was the 'let the ol vet go early to give him best chance of making another team' guy this time.

EDIT: that didn't take long!, Roscoe is now a Raider. Wow.

Watched Q4 last nite. Trautwein was horrific at left tackle, good riddance. Like you say no shock ref most of em. Parrish instead of Sperry was the 'let the ol vet go early to give him best chance of making another team' guy this time.

EDIT: that didn't take long!, Roscoe is now a Raider. Wow.

Not good enough for us but good enough for the Raiders, that's a good sign

Watching the cuts these are the only names that interest me as possible 'have a looks'.

Cornerback Ramzee Robinson (Denver), cornerback Ashton Youboty (Jags), defensive back Chris Horton (Giants), offensive lineman Ed Wang (Raiders, 1st chinese american to play in NFL), guard Deuce Lutui and tackle Alex Barron (Seahawks), quarterback Jonathan Crompton (Skins, ex Charger).

Youboty was highly touted coming out of college, might a change of scenery ie. escape from Jax help him?, the rest of em I know/have some history.

Watching the cuts these are the only names that interest me as possible 'have a looks'.

Cornerback Ramzee Robinson (Denver), cornerback Ashton Youboty (Jags), defensive back Chris Horton (Giants), offensive lineman Ed Wang (Raiders, 1st chinese american to play in NFL), guard Deuce Lutui and tackle Alex Barron (Seahawks), quarterback Jonathan Crompton (Skins, ex Charger).

Youboty was highly touted coming out of college, might a change of scenery ie. escape from Jax help him?, the rest of em I know/have some history.

I think it would be worth our while bringing some of them in this week and seeing how they go, we've a lot of lads who we know won't be on the roster but are being kept around for the 49ers game so no harm seeing what other options we have

• Advertisement

I think it would be worth our while bringing some of them in this week and seeing how they go, we've a lot of lads who we know won't be on the roster but are being kept around for the 49ers game so no harm seeing what other options we have

Yeah, Charlie Bryant is an example. He is trying to do a Dielman but not sure is he gona make it ie. ex DT trying to make the move to O line. I'd give Barron a go instead. Might even dump Henderson.

As for the D backs, we could shift Hobbs for Youboty.

Only a week and a bit to go lads. I wonder will those of us with ESPN America (I now have it in HD with UPC) have the pleasure of watching the Raider game live (provided u don't have to get up early tuesday!!).

Anybody know the status of the discussions between the NFL and Sky/ESPN America? I thought we'd have heard some sort of confirmation by now?

Only a week and a bit to go lads. I wonder will those of us with ESPN America (I now have it in HD with UPC) have the pleasure of watching the Raider game live (provided u don't have to get up early tuesday!!).

Anybody know the status of the discussions between the NFL and Sky/ESPN America? I thought we'd have heard some sort of confirmation by now?

Just going from the thread they have about it here it sounds like it's pretty much a done deal between the NFL & Sky and games will be broadcast from Sept 9th.

Thinking of taking the Tues off work so i can watch the Raiders game, hopefullly see Rivers tear them apart while having loads of space and time in the pocket

Just going from the thread they have about it here it sounds like it's pretty much a done deal between the NFL & Sky and games will be broadcast from Sept 9th.

Thinking of taking the Tues off work so i can watch the Raiders game, hopefullly see Rivers tear them apart while having loads of space and time in the pocket

Ha ha love the sarcasm. Watched the first quarter of the Raiders Lions preseason game last nite. Their D line looks strong. Tollefson is back after his time in NY. They have an UDFA WR called Streater who looked real good. Palmer was a bit all over the place. Look forward to us having at least 2 picks on the nite.

Jacques Cesaire
    Anthony Davis
    Mario Henderson
    Jacob Hester
    Nick Novak
    Edwin Baker
    Colin Baxter
    Bront Bird
    Charlie Bryant
    Ricky Elmore
    Daryl Gamble
    Gregory Gatson
    Logan Harrell
    Arthur Hobbs
    Robert Malone
    DeAndre Presley
    Damik Scafe
    Stephen Schilling
    Kory Sperry
    Mike Willie
    Safety Sean Cattouse put on IR

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Jacques Cesaire
    Anthony Davis
    Mario Henderson
    Jacob Hester
    Nick Novak
    Edwin Baker
    Colin Baxter
    Bront Bird
    Charlie Bryant
    Ricky Elmore
    Daryl Gamble
    Gregory Gatson
    Logan Harrell
    Arthur Hobbs
    Robert Malone
    DeAndre Presley
    Damik Scafe
    Stephen Schilling
    Kory Sperry
    Mike Willie

Suprised to see Hester go and even more suprised that both Henderson and Davis were cut. The only way i thought this would happen is if we stuck with Schilling but he's gone too.

No other suprises but i have to say i was disappointed to see Cesaire cut because he always comes across as an absolute great guy, hope he can be kept around in a different capacity because year in year out any new DL talks about welcoming and helpful he is for them

Jacques Cesaire
    Anthony Davis
    Mario Henderson
    Jacob Hester
    Nick Novak
    Edwin Baker
    Colin Baxter
    Bront Bird
    Charlie Bryant
    Ricky Elmore
    Daryl Gamble
    Gregory Gatson
    Logan Harrell
    Arthur Hobbs
    Robert Malone
    DeAndre Presley
    Damik Scafe
    Stephen Schilling
    Kory Sperry
    Mike Willie

The obvious shocker is Hester. He was the team's golden boy no matter how ineffective he was. Yes, great guy, great heart etc but AJ is now being called out for trading UP to get this lad.

Schilling has been a huge disappointment too. A year wasted in him obviously. I know we will make at least 4 changes to the roster between now and opening day but WOW Schilling can't make the team when we are so F'd on O line. Amazing.

I reckon at least 5 of these cuts will play in the NFL this yr - Bird, Hester, Baxter, Elmore and Sperry could all make a team.

We'll be trying to get Willie, Presley, Elmore, Gatson and Harrell to our PS.

Had a great nite in D'brook. Unreal to see it up so close. Was practically in the O line huddle when the D was on the field. Saw a couple of v good players on JCU, the QB Myers (ex Pitt apparently) and Madden, a white WR.

Suprised to see Hester go and even more suprised that both Henderson and Davis were cut. The only way i thought this would happen is if we stuck with Schilling but he's gone too.

No other suprises but i have to say i was disappointed to see Cesaire cut because he always comes across as an absolute great guy, hope he can be kept around in a different capacity because year in year out any new DL talks about welcoming and helpful he is for them

Forgot to mention Cesaire, totally agree. He had to be cut some day so I guess it was not unexpected but I second everything you say. He has to have been one of the most popular guys on the team. Smart guy too so surely could end up being a coach.

Leslie91 was that you in the Seau jersey yesterday, saw you around section 525, jersey looked absolutely quality

Leslie91 was that you in the Seau jersey yesterday, saw you around section 525, jersey looked absolutely quality
    Sure was! u shoulda said hello!!!. Had to wear #55 with the yr that was init.

• Advertisement

Sure was! u shoulda said hello!!!. Had to wear #55 with the yr that was init.

I would have but you were a few sections over from me, saw the jersey in the distance. Fun day even if it wasn't a tight game.

I would have but you were a few sections over from me, saw the jersey in the distance. Fun day even if it wasn't a tight game.

No worries, it was a great day. So glad they got the weather for it. All those who travelled will bring back great memories.

Saw a Weddle jersey too and recognised the guy wearing it from London in 08. I know his mate better. Liamo and Derek were there too sporting Jammer and Philip, did you spot those shirts?.

Were u wearing the Bolts?

No worries, it was a great day. So glad they got the weather for it. All those who travelled will bring back great memories.

Saw a Weddle jersey too and recognised the guy wearing it from London in 08. I know his mate better. Liamo and Derek were there too sporting Jammer and Philip, did you spot those shirts?.

Were u wearing the Bolts?

Yeah i was wearing my #17, spotted 2or3 people wearing them. Saw Jammer down by the food stall at one stage but i was in the queue so couldn't get up to talk to him. Chargers jerseys were well represented at the game i thought, Tom Brady jerseys were the most visible of course:(.

Any rumours on T or CB signings? I thought we'd immediately be in the market once team cuts started but AJ is taking his time.

I see chargers have the oldest team in the league now, not a great stat to have i reckon

Any rumours on T or CB signings? I thought we'd immediately be in the market once team cuts started but AJ is taking his time.

I see chargers have the oldest team in the league now, not a great stat to have i reckon

I've seen v little so far. The only news since w/e has been the appearance of Gaither in front of some media types keen to know WTF is going on with this lad. And they got nothing from him apart from some BS about him being a professional athlete. You are having a laugh Jared. Get your big lump of a body out on that field pronto and start repaying the faith the likes of AJ put in you.

I saw mention of the Eagles corner Joselio Hanson but the Raiders got him. Notice how Presley has gone to the Dolphins. Did not think he would for a minute goto another team over the Chargers. Assumed the Bolts would have guaranteed him a spot on the PS, but maybe they didn't. He didn't impress me but I know many who really wanted him to make our PS.

Make sure and goto the 'How did you come by your team?' thread and add your handle to the below, if you are not already on it;

AFC - WEST

San Diego Chargers
    Leslie 91, donmeister, RuggieBear, Clawfield, Pauleta, BrenoBolt91, landsleaving, Firehen, OAOB

I've seen v little so far. The only news since w/e has been the appearance of Gaither in front of some media types keen to know WTF is going on with this lad. And they got nothing from him apart from some BS about him being a professional athlete. You are having a laugh Jared. Get your big lump of a body out on that field pronto and start repaying the faith the likes of AJ put in you.

I saw mention of the Eagles corner Joselio Hanson but the Raiders got him. Notice how Presley has gone to the Dolphins. Did not think he would for a minute goto another team over the Chargers. Assumed the Bolts would have guaranteed him a spot on the PS, but maybe they didn't. He didn't impress me but I know many who really wanted him to make our PS.

At this stage the OL is our biggest problem and Gaither needs to really start showing a willingness to get fit, so far he has shown the lazy laid back streak that got him cut in Baltimore. Its such a shame because he looked unreal for us last year. You'd worry what would be happening now if we hadn't looked out and brought in Harris as an UDFA.

With regards to Harris i never realised he was RT in college which makes his progress all the more remarkable. I want Gaither back but i am rooting for this kid big time.

Hanson or Florence were the 2 CBs that jumped out after cuts but I think the Chargers like the 4 on the roster at the minute so they're only offering the 5th corner position which wasn't enough for either of these

Thought Presley would have a good shot at our PS because he has a lot of athletic ability. Maybe he was pissed at us using him as a DB instead of on offence.

Just curious what Charger fans think of our GM AJ Smith???

Just curious what Charger fans think of our GM AJ Smith???

Well....... I remember the days when our team was pure muck and our scouting and Admin groups were dire. Hence the product on the field was appalling.

Since John Butler/AJ/Buddy Nix arrived we've had a chance. Having said that how much of the early success (none recently) was down to AJ is open to question.

I'm not sure I like his ego all that much, but you gotta say he is pretty consistent ie. he says this is the line and he does not give an inch. His faith in Norv disturbs me though. It's clear he is not a good judge of coach, whatever about player.

• Advertisement

I would agree with that, his draft record is pretty solid except for players suffering from injury.

I would love Norv as our offensive cordinator, cant understand why he still in a job.

One problem I have with AJ is free agency, he is far too conservative. Did change it up this year, really like all the signings this year.

I really hope he stays on next year regardless of results because this roster was stacked with talent and our coaches didnt get the job done, while AJ did it perfectly.

Advertisement