Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

• 27-08-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

I saw a friend of mine get a letter today advertising half price Sky + for 12 months with free install. Ring 0818 762 867 and quote 'Irelands No.1 offer'. Fatcheese are giving up to €135 cash back if you book online but I imagine if you then ring quoting the half price offer you might get that too and perhaps more if you play hardball.

Btw. Sky broadband.+ phone is coming this way in the next few months. There might be even better deals to be had then.

Edit: I have added a pic of the main part of what he got as an attachment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Any links or anything on this? maybe explain it a bit more. What exactly do we need to quote when ringing?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

bromley52 wrote: »
    I saw a friend of mine get a letter today advertising half price Sky + for 12 months with free install. There is something you must quote when you ring but I can't remember it. Fatcheese are giving up to €135 cash back if you book online but I imagine if you then ring quoting the half price offer you might get that too and perhaps more if you play hardball.

Btw. Sky broadband.+ phone is coming this way in the next few months. There might be even better deals to be had then.

I'm also interested in getting this, any chance you could ask your mate for the code?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sounds like the op's friend had cancelled Sky sometime in the past few months.They send these offers to previous customers to tempt them to come back.

It's hard to get this offer by ringing & bluffing as they have the customer records on file & will suss you fairly quickly.

Yeah i heard that before alright but you could probably bluff it handy enough. The worst they can do is say no.

Just ring and say " Hi i got this offer saying its half price for 12 months and id like to take it"

They say either "ok no problems" or "Sorry thats only for previous customers"

They get commission so will only be happy but if you say you got it off a mate they will probably refuse as theyre not allowed. Dont lie but dont tell the truth is what i mean. "i got the offer" could be interpreted in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

I corrected my original post and added more info. It ends Sep 27th not 28th as originally stated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭theminstrel

I got a letter today about this. Rang up and all they asked for was what was quoted on the letter - Which is 'Ireland's No.1 Offer'. So try that and see if it works.

Just thinking! Do you need a sky dish already installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

No. Installations include the dish & standard installation is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Would be interested to see if this works.
    Sky have lost a lot of customers to UPC offers in the past year.
    I'd say they are trying to get them back and as you say the Broadband/Phone offer on top should make it interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

just got this today and there's never been sky in where I live

can anyone tell me if the sky+ box they have on offer can also record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

fl4pj4ck wrote: »

All sky+ boxes have the record functionality afaik.

I thought it only ran until yesterday.

What date is on your one for expiration?

27th of September

27th of September

Ah silly me. Month left

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Thanks a mill for this....just rang and got it setup.... Girl on the phone said it was the same offer the staff get and that it wasn't sent out to a lot of houses!!!

Cheers again op

Oh and the half price off stands for the twelve months ie I only went for the entertainment extra but if I want to add sports or movies at any stage of the first twelve months I still only pay half price

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭inovo

I'm an existing customer. Could I get the 'half price' package too do you think??

inovo wrote: »
    I'm an existing customer. Could I get the 'half price' package too do you think??

Nope. You would need to cancel and resignup in partners name.

If your out of contract that is

If your in contract Cancel the direct Debit and get partner to ring saying " i just moved into this house and sky dish is already there and this letter is saying half price etc..". Dont know if you can do it quick enough now though as it might not get cut off for another month.

feelpablo wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for this....just rang and got it setup.... Girl on the phone said it was the same offer the staff get and that it wasn't sent out to a lot of houses!!!

Cheers again op

Oh and the half price off stands for the twelve months ie I only went for the entertainment extra but if I want to add sports or movies at any stage of the first twelve months I still only pay half price

How much are you gonna pay for setup etc?

Whats the situation with a breakdown of payments or whatever? Might be handy for others to know.

Media999 wrote: »
    How much are you gonna pay for setup etc?

Whats the situation with a breakdown of payments or whatever? Might be handy for others to know.

It's all in the original post but it's free box and free standard setup plus half price package on whichever one you want.... I went with the entertainment extra pack which is usually 33 a month but will stand me 16.50 a month for twelve months

It's all in the original post but it's free box and free standard setup plus half price package on whichever one you want.... I went with the entertainment extra pack which is usually 33 a month but will stand me 16.50 a month for twelve months

So your first bill is just 16.50?

Nice.

Edit - What if you have no phone line?

• Advertisement

So your first bill is just 16.50?

Nice.

Edit - What if you have no phone line?

Yep that's it

Regards a phone line the girl was adamant on the phone that it has to be hooked up to the Phoneline....now depending on the installer it would be ok... My gran got sky around 6 months ago and the installer never asked about the Phoneline once so I guess it's pot luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Amouar

Yep that's it

Regards a phone line the girl was adamant on the phone that it has to be hooked up to the Phoneline....now depending on the installer it would be ok... My gran got sky around 6 months ago and the installer never asked about the Phoneline once so I guess it's pot luck
    One more question: How's the quality of the non hd channels? is it worth taking hd if we have a HDTV or the normal channels quality is good even with no hd pack?

Thanks

Amouar wrote: »
    One more question: How's the quality of the non hd channels? is it worth taking hd if we have a HDTV or the normal channels quality is good even with no hd pack?

Thanks

If its half price id say go for it. Then just cancel in 12 months if you dont watch them. 7.50 a month 50 stations.

Sky arranges all the HD stations into a playlist. UPC has them scattered and hard to find.

Youll obviously only get sports HD if you have the pack etc..

Quality of Non HD is perfect anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

It's a great deal, got the letter yesterday and signed up last night
    I knew when they were pushing the last offer so hard that they had to be something better coming up

went for the basic €12.50/m which suits me as I'm only interested in the BBC and the odd thing on C4

Only had to pay €25 up front which is credited back, so my first bill will be in Nov

never had sky before, so I was a bit suspicious at first but it's very transparent

37.50 once off if you have no phone line. No half price on that.

12.50 a month for all the basic stations. Good deal.

No engineers here for 2 weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

just got this deal, €26.50 for entertainment extra + HD, they said i can still get sky sports or movies half price if i decide that i want them. Cheers:D

37.50 once off if you have no phone line. No half price on that.

what??

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BullBauld

There was an account in my house in someone elses name which was cancelled a few months back. The dish & Sky+HD box are still there.

What will happen when engineer arrives and this equipment still there. Will he install new box or just leave whats there in place?

Also the 37:50 for no phoneline was paid for the previous account. I presume it would have to be paid again seeing as its a new account?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

It's a great deal, got the letter yesterday and signed up last night
    I knew when they were pushing the last offer so hard that they had to be something better coming up

went for the basic €12.50/m which suits me as I'm only interested in the BBC and the odd thing on C4

Only had to pay €25 up front which is credited back, so my first bill will be in Nov

never had sky before, so I was a bit suspicious at first but it's very transparent

If you're only interested in BBC and the odd thing on C4 you'd most likely be better off getting a satellite which will pick up the English freeview channels. One off fee for the dish and a box and then free forever, you'd get all the bbc's,itv's, c4,e4,film4, all the +1's and loads more channels. Just something to think about, have it myself and have no reason to ever pay for sky again tbh.

• Advertisement

12*12,50 = e150, cost of getting a freeview dish+box+installation will probably be same or higher

Advertisement