Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Well managed to get the brew done on Friday night though I had to leave it over night before pitching the yeast... had to fish out the thermometer with my hand when it fell to the bottom, arm had been in the sanitising bucket long enough getting stuff out... so I should be fine. This infection business is overblown I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

fobster wrote: »
    Well managed to get the brew done on Friday night though I had to leave it over night before pitching the yeast... had to fish out the thermometer with my hand when it fell to the bottom, arm had been in the sanitising bucket long enough getting stuff out... so I should be fine. This infection business is overblown I think.

Wait until it is finished brewing.

In my experience I see the most infection trouble when you are re-using a fermenter that has not been properly cleaned from the last brew. Happened to me once or twice when I was improvising carboys out of 19L water coolers.

People using special yeasts, or doing yeast control (limiting the yeast growth to limit the flavour impact) to replicate a particular style, are often very scrupulous. These yeasts are often not as competitive.

Yeast is massively dominant when food is plentiful, so most contamination issues can be avoided by using clean kit, and letting the yeast get started properly. Then don't make any silly mistakes at bottling time (like use dirty taps or siphons) and bottle condition and you should have few problems.

Khannie wrote: »
    This has been poking me in the brain since I saw it. 70L!!! I only have about 8-9 on the go but I'm a first timer. I'm wondering should I make more while there are still flowers around. Is it that amazing?

I made about the same amount last year. Like Degsy said, its a seasonal/one time crop. I managed to get a late may and a early july brew in. Still have some left.

Its an acquired taste. This year, I am making it with honey, so that I have a more rounded flavour.

When you have been brewing a while, you naturally tend to pick up a second fermenter, and perhaps a third. This lets you have multiple batches on the go, and a second fermenter can give you a lot of useful options with workflow, like racking to reduce sediment, or batch priming.

After a while you tend to juggle them. Between 6 Demi Johns and 2 large fermenters, there is about 90L of stuff brewing around the house. Its easy for cheap brews like elderflower to fill all available capacity.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I recently had about 70L of stuff on the go which was a new high. :) I forgot about racking / priming so there was some messing involved to sort that.

I have two 33L brew buckets, a ~20L bucket that used to contain vegetable oil. A ~16L bucket that used to contain whey and a ~10L bucket that used to contain hard boiled eggs. :D (the oil / eggs ones were from a chef friend). If I like this elderflower brew I can see myself doing a large batch next year. I have high hopes for a > 100L batch when apple season rolls around too. Secretly my goal is around the 200L mark, though I'll need to get quite a few more brew buckets for that.

Is your honey brew all honey or some sugar? I cheaped out and went with table sugar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

. A ~16L bucket that used to contain whey .

i have loads of these..they're great for small or experimantal brews or for stuf like turbo spirit plus tehy dont take up much room.

I also have a number of buckets from here..much cheaper than buying proper fermentors.

• Advertisement

I have high hopes for a > 100L batch when apple season rolls around too. Secretly my goal is around the 200L mark, though I'll need to get quite a few more brew buckets for that.

Is your honey brew all honey or some sugar? I cheaped out and went with table sugar.

Having large practical fermenters (easy clean/easy rack or siphon) makes things a lot simpler. I am now at the stage where there is a bottle shortage.

The honey brew is all honey, except for the last demijohn, which I topped up with 1L Apple Juice and 1L grape juice. The honey itself is cheap (iceland). High sucrose ferments are starting to disagree with my brewing style, its worth the 10-20 quid more to use better fermentables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Just kicked off a Coopers Stout kit today, I had mixed everything bar the yeast, was leaving the head/suds to settle before I could add more water to bring it to the 23 litre mark & add the yeast. Something came up and I had to go, I didn't get to add the yeast for at least 90 minutes later - can this cause any problems, it's just that the instructions state that it's vital to add the yeast as early as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Just kicked off a Coopers Stout kit today, I had mixed everything bar the yeast, was leaving the head/suds to settle before I could add more water to bring it to the 23 litre mark & add the yeast. Something came up and I had to go, I didn't get to add the yeast for at least 90 minutes later - can this cause any problems, it's just that the instructions state that it's vital to add the yeast as early as possible?

I've recently bottled a batch of this kit. I added in 15 shots of espresso into the wort before I pitched the yeast. There was no action on the airlock for about a day but then it went wild for about 2 days and settled again. I think the lid on the bucket doesn't seal well because there was no bubbles in the airlock after about day 2/3. Anyway it tasted okay before I bottled it, gonna give it another 2-3 weeks before I crack one open though. I've used this kit before a few times before without adding anything other than Spray malt and dextrose and it's quite nice once left at least 3 weeks in the bottle.

Re adding the yeast, did you throw a lid on the mix while it cooled? I'm only a novice yet, so I can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

For my last brew I had the yeast re-hydrated and covered, but the wort was still too warm. So I put the lid on the fermenter and left it overnight and pitched the following morning. She's going grand now. So you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Yup, I left the lid on before I added the yeast - cheers folks.

• Advertisement

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Yup, I left the lid on before I added the yeast - cheers folks.

Having a bucket full of aerated sugar solution (i.e. wort) is always a risk.

The quicker you can get your yeast in there the better. Most nasties are aerobic which is why yeast is such a magical microflora. It uses oxygen to grow and multiply, but will happily metabolise sugar anaerobically. This means that yeast will transform a sealed container into something that is inhospitable to undesirable micro-organisms.

If you manage to keep your wort safe, by sealing when it is too hot, you minimise the risk of an infection taking hold prior to introducing your yeast.

You *minimise* it. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but you can get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Currently Bottled an Australian Pale Ale..4 Weeks and Counting....
    First taste 15th September.

My next brew will be a St.Peter's Ruby Red Ale.

Heard a few good reports about this one. What are people's experiences with brewing this one, what do you suggest i use instead of my default 1KG Dextrose. Thinking 500g Malt Extract and 400g Dextrose & possibly throw in some aroma hop tea..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

syngindub wrote: »
    Currently Bottled an Australian Pale Ale..4 Weeks and Counting....
    First taste 15th September.

My next brew will be a St.Peter's Ruby Red Ale.

Heard a few good reports about this one. What are people's experiences with brewing this one, what do you suggest i use instead of my default 1KG Dextrose. Thinking 500g Malt Extract and 400g Dextrose & possibly throw in some aroma hop tea..

Do you need anything with the St. Peters Kit? If I remember correctly it has 2 cans included and that is all you need. If you are looking to bump the alcohol level then some malt extract will do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Think my next brew will be a John Bull London Porter with Light LME. Think I might make a hop tea with some East Kent Goldings, but not sure...Gonna sleep on it and get the Brew on tomorrow.

I'm gonna be bottling my Thomas Coopers Selection Pilsner tomorrow too. It was brewed using Extra Light Spraymalt (1kg). It was brewed on 06/06/12 and was transferred to secondary on 23/06/12. So should be well ready for bottling now. I'm hoping it'll be ready for drinking by early October this year. That'll be about 6 weeks in the bottle so thinking it should be all good.

• I'm doing another coopers wheat beer, using wlp300 yeast. To say the fermentation is vigorous is an understatement. Came home to find the lid and krausen collar on my coopers fermenter had been blown off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Bottled
    ~10 bottles Coffee Chocolate Stout (Coopers Brewmaster Irish Stout + LME + Coffee and Cocoa)
    41 bottles Golden Pale Ale (this with 3kg Amber DME)

Fermenter
    23L Bavarian Hefe Weizen (this using BIAB method)

Planned
    23L Little Creatures Pale Ale BIAB clone

lang wrote: »
    Think my next brew will be a John Bull London Porter with Light LME. Think I might make a hop tea with some East Kent Goldings, but not sure...Gonna sleep on it and get the Brew on tomorrow.

I'm gonna be bottling my Thomas Coopers Selection Pilsner tomorrow too. It was brewed using Extra Light Spraymalt (1kg). It was brewed on 06/06/12 and was transferred to secondary on 23/06/12. So should be well ready for bottling now. I'm hoping it'll be ready for drinking by early October this year. That'll be about 6 weeks in the bottle so thinking it should be all good.

Well, I brewed the John Bull London Porter with a can of Light LME and 300g of Dextrose. In the end I went with a hop tea of 25g EKG for 8.5 mins of a boil. Added some yeast nutrient to the wort also because I've had a few stuck fermentations in last brews. I used Nottingham yeast.

I got 39 bottles of the Pilsner when I bottled on Friday. Will start trying them in about 5-6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Fermenting
    7L Brewferm Christmas
    13L Brewferm Gallia
    12L Degseys Ginger Ale recipe!

Bottled
    Better Brew - Pilsner
    Milestone IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I'm doing another coopers wheat beer, using wlp300 yeast. To say the fermentation is vigorous is an understatement. Came home to find the lid and krausen collar on my coopers fermenter had been blown off!

Yep its very active, but really really worth it , enjoy

Here is a pic of mine from a few years ago
    Untitled-5.jpg

Got a brewday yesterday and this is a big hop steep (30 minutes) of summit, apollo and cascade for Pliny the toddler :D

Plinythetoddler.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

oblivious wrote: »
    Got a brewday yesterday and this is a big hop steep (30 minutes) of summit, apollo and cascade for Pliny the toddler :D

Looks nice Oblivious. What did the Apollo smell like? Its meant to be citrusy/ resiny and high bittering power @ 19.5% alpha. I have a bag in the freezer and will do an Apollo pale ale soon.

mayto wrote: »

Looks nice Oblivious. What did the Apollo smell like? Its meant to be citrusy/ resiny and high bittering power @ 19.5% alpha. I have a bag in the freezer and will do an Apollo pale ale soon.
    Yea citrus resiny is.probably the best description, I did not like the look of my Columbus so subbed the in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Plinythetoddler.jpg

that looks absolutely rotten but im sure it's gonna taste delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Currently have a 5L bottle of homebrew cider fermenting in the hotpress upstairs & a cascade hopped IPA sitting in secondary to be bottled next weekend.

Planning a 10l brew of Ginger Beer next to have bottled for Xmas and maybe a Corona style lager to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Have an all-grain American pale ale style beer with lots of cascade and pilgrim in the fermenter at the moment, on lager yeast at 11C. It'll stay there for 3 weeks, before being lagered for a further 4. We'll see how it goes, but I find lager yeast really brings out the maltyness in a beer.

Next beer will be an oatmeal stout with home roasted rolled oats on Pacman yeast. It's one of Mosher's recipes, and he suggests lager yeast, which I may do if I can't revive my jar of Pacman that's been in the fridge for the last 4 months. I'll re-use my WLP830 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Just bottled my Brewferm Christmas. It was strange bottling with no sugar (you dont prime) but I'm exited to drink it. Hopefully it will be done by Christmas this year but I hear that it can take a very very long time to finish.

syngindub wrote: »

Plinythetoddler.jpg

that looks absolutely rotten but im sure it's gonna taste delicious.

Hop steep.in wort som time does not look that appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

Quick update on my Wit beer. For those who don't know I had a bit of a crisis (that totally could have been avoided :rolleyes:) last week.

Anyway, took a reading yesterday and it's sitting at 1.011 after 7 days in the FV. It smelt very very good. Infact it smelled almost identical to a Blue Moon.

Took a cheeky taste test too. It tasted quite bitter, sharp. I'm slightly concerned but I imagine that is because it is only 7 days in the FV. I plan on giving it the full two weeks before bottling :)

scrapsmac wrote: »
    Took a cheeky taste test too. It tasted quite bitter, sharp. I'm slightly concerned but I imagine that is because it is only 7 days in the FV. I plan on giving it the full two weeks before bottling :)

If the Gravity readings are the same over two straight days then you're grand and can go ahead and bottle or transfer to Secondary.

I have found that the flavours 'mellow' somewhat during bottling. I use secondary fermenter as I tend to do some dry hopping with most brews. I think (although I have nothing to compare to) that you get a 'cleaner' brew from Secondary fermentation. I understand people's reluctance at using Secondary as it increases the chances of infection, but....so far so good, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

lang wrote: »
    I think (although I have nothing to compare to) that you get a 'cleaner' brew from Secondary fermentation.
    You can get the same effect with just a longer primary. That's why I'd suggest giving everything at least two weeks of fermentation time.

Advertisement