Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I just got myself insured (Liberty 850 fully comp paying in installments.) How do I go about getting taxed now since I don't have my insurance disk yet? Or do I even need proof of insurance to get taxed?

All you need is an insurance number, ring your insurer and ask for the policy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Great thread. Has pretty much answered all the questions i would have posted in my own thread anyway!

I'm looking into starting out biking now and hopefully will sort out my IBT in the next few weeks.

I do have two questions not mentioned here. Firstly no claims bonus. Does a no claims from a car transfer to a bike? My guess would be no but would the likes of Liberty/Quinn take it into consideration?

Second. A guy i work with has mentioned that there's no MOT/NCT or anything for bikes here? Meaning buying a bike 2nd hand could be dodgy enough here. He recommended buying in NI/UK as the standard of bike care would be higher and of course the bikes cheaper.

Also is it still the case that bikes that over 5 years old still have reduced VRT when registering a UK bike here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Faith+1 wrote: »
    All you need is an insurance number, ring your insurer and ask for the policy number.

Thanks, did that, taxed and insured now! :D Just to make sure, I can drive now even though I have not gotten my insurance disk yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

martomcg wrote: »

I do have two questions not mentioned here. Firstly no claims bonus. Does a no claims from a car transfer to a bike? My guess would be no but would the likes of Liberty/Quinn take it into consideration?

No, it makes no difference if you've driven a car accident free for 100 years, when you get a bike you're starting from scratch.
    martomcg wrote: »
    Second. A guy i work with has mentioned that there's no MOT/NCT or anything for bikes here? Meaning buying a bike 2nd hand could be dodgy enough here. He recommended buying in NI/UK as the standard of bike care would be higher and of course the bikes cheaper.

No, there's no MOT/NCT (but they're trying to bring it in) but if you're going to buy a second hand bike, bring someone with you who knows their stuff. If a bike is dodgy (mechanically) it's easy enough to spot.

Yes buying in the UK/NI is cheaper to a degree and they really know how to look after their bikes. Re: your VRT question, I can't answer that as I have had no direct experience with it, but I'm sure someone else can help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

Thanks, did that, taxed and insured now! :D Just to make sure, I can drive now even though I have not gotten my insurance disk yet?

You probably won't get an insurance disk from your ins company as it's not a requirement to carry one on a bike. AON/AXA don't send out disks, just the policy certificate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 butchboy

Im 22 and have had a learner permit since i was 17. do i need to complete the theory test again for the motorbike licence as it does not say it on the licence itself.im only permited to drive a work vehicle and car??

If you have never held a learner permit (or provisional licence) for a Motorcycle then yes you do have to do the theory test again if you want to learn to ride.

The Exact process you need to follow now is

Theory Test > Learner Permit > Initial Basic Training > Buy Motorcycle and gear > Insure > Tax > Ride.

Your car learner permit gets you nothing when it comes to motorcycles.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

If I decide to take my test, how long will I be restricted to a lower powered bike before I can drive a larger one?

vader65 wrote: »
    If I decide to take my test, how long will I be restricted to a lower powered bike before I can drive a larger one?

If you pass your test, the restriction is for a further 2 years.

is that the same for the uk and ireland?

• Advertisement

From what I was told with the new licencing regulations to take place after Jan 13th, if he is Over 24 and does it then on an unrestricted bike he won't be bound by any restrictions? Can you confirm if my understanding is correct?

From what I was told with the new licencing regulations to take place after Jan 13th, if he is Over 24 and does it then on an unrestricted bike he won't be bound by any restrictions? Can you confirm if my understanding is correct?

cool, im not 24 for another few years but i dont think i would be able to afford the whole thing until then anyway. so im hoping this is true! :)

cool, im not 24 for another few years but i dont think i would be able to afford the whole thing until then anyway. so im hoping this is true! :)

You're definitely best to do it ASAP then, given the tiered licencing coming in.

is that the same for the uk and ireland?

I honestly couldn't tell ye. I know there was changes made but I don't know in what respect. It has always been a 2 year restriction after you pass your test. If this has changed, I'm unaware of it. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

I honestly couldn't tell ye. I know there was changes made but I don't know in what respect. It has always been a 2 year restriction after you pass your test. If this has changed, I'm unaware of it. Sorry.

It is due to change in January 2013.

If you sit your test on an unrestricted bike and are over 24 you will have no restriction on your bike licence.

In order to qualify for this you must also have taken this new IBT Module 5, which has yet to be finalised.

Supposedly there is a RSA meeting in October this year to explain the changes to the system/licences and also to explain the new IBT Module to instructors.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 monuworks

Hi All,

Just Looking for some friendly advice.

I'm about to apply for my provisional Licence for a motorbike and have to ride a 33bhp for 2 years.

Would I be better riding a 250cc or a bigger bike and get it restricted?

Also Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost of insurance, in my early forties, does age make difference?

Thanks in advance.

monuworks wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just Looking for some friendly advice.

I'm about to apply for my provisional Licence for a motorbike and have to ride a 33bhp for 2 years.

Would I be better riding a 250cc or a bigger bike and get it restricted?

Also Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost of insurance, in my early forties, does age make difference?

Thanks in advance.

Just MY opinion but I say get a bigger bike and get it restricted. For example, a Hornet 600 or Bandit 600, get it restricted, great commuter bike, good all-rounder, good to learn on, then when you pass your test and the restriction is eventually up, it's a different bike with the restrictor off. If you get a 250, you'll only end up changing it. Like I said, that's just my thoughts on it.

As for insurance, yes at 40-odd, it shouldn't be extortionate for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Hello, I'm just about to turn 28 yrs of age, have a full clean Irish licence with 3 yrs no claims on a 2.2 L car, and would like to get a motor bike now for Dublin city commute.

Can't afford a car any more as returning to college as mature student.. Just trying to get together ball park figures for what I should expect as insurance/maintenance costs per year. My only biker mate tells me petrol is only 10/15 euro per week which sounds pretty amazing!

Also, up to what c.c bike can I drive, and are there spikes in cost at a particular c.c? I've driven mopeds before for a few months in Indonesia where you have to be insanely aware and everyone drives like maniacs on terrible roads so I think I'll be able to handle the N11! (had a bike with a clutch for a good while too.)

Will I need to take any test or is my full irish enough? I tried to get an online quote for a few bikes today but kept getting the "call us" and no quote.

Any guidance greatly appreciated, start college 1st Oct so want to have any tests/courses I need to do sorted by then.. Is it too short notice?

Cheers,
    Robbie

I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer some...
    hollingr wrote: »
    My only biker mate tells me petrol is only 10/15 euro per week which sounds pretty amazing!

Yeah, it's €15 per week if you drive a moped and your commute is about 10 miles!! :rolleyes: It also depends on how you drive your machine and how big/heavy it is. My commute is 80-100 miles a day. It costs me €50-€60 per week. The bike is 900cc and I "push her on", having said that, some days I take my wife's CB400, and it costs about €10-€12 per day!

Also, up to what c.c bike can I drive, and are there spikes in cost at a particular c.c? I've driven mopeds before for a few months in Indonesia where you have to be insanely aware and everyone drives like maniacs on terrible roads so I think I'll be able to handle the N11! (had a bike with a clutch for a good while too.)

You can drive any cc you want, but on a provisional licence it has to be restricted to 33hp. So you could buy a Hornet 600 or Bandit 600 and get it restricted and insured and away you go. Of course you need your theory test and IBT first.

Will I need to take any test or is my full irish enough? I tried to get an online quote for a few bikes today but kept getting the "call us" and no quote.

Even if you have a full Irish driving licence (car only) you will need to re-do the theory test, get a provisional bike licence and go from there. You won't get a quote from any insurance company without specifics i.e. bike make/model/engine size etc...

Any guidance greatly appreciated, start college 1st Oct so want to have any tests/courses I need to do sorted by then.. Is it too short notice?

It might be - get cracking!! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

thanks for the quick reply.

back to the drawing board so... Is getting the licence for bikes similar to the waiting lists/trouble getting one for car? God I hate the RSA..

• Advertisement

Is getting the licence for bikes similar to the waiting lists/trouble getting one for car? God I hate the RSA..

Yep, I'm afraid so. But don't let it put you off. Bikes rock!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Hello, I'm just about to turn 28 yrs of age, have a full clean Irish licence with 3 yrs no claims on a 2.2 L car, and would like to get a motor bike now for Dublin city commute.

Can't afford a car any more as returning to college as mature student.. Just trying to get together ball park figures for what I should expect as insurance/maintenance costs per year. My only biker mate tells me petrol is only 10/15 euro per week which sounds pretty amazing!

Cheers,
    Robbie

Read the first post in the thread, it will explain what you need to do to get your bike licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Hi there.

new to this forum and know nothing about mopeds/scooters.

I am looking for advice on a moped/scooter to bring away with a camper van. we have always used bikes but are getting older and would like to travel a bit further from campsites without having to take the camper. I have a towbar and am happy enough to get a suitable trailer. My questions are as follows.

1. There are 2 of us. Would we be better off gettting one decent moped or one smaller one each.
    2. We both have B licences. What does this entitle us to?
    3. any makes to recommend? New or 2nd hand.
    4. what kind of money are we talikng about typically..

I would rather stay away from having to do any kind of theory tests or driving/riding tests at our age but if that is the only way to get something suitable then i would consider it. Also there is a good chance this/these mopeds would only be used a few weeks of the year if that is relevant..

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Hi there.

new to this forum and know nothing about mopeds/scooters.

I am looking for advice on a moped/scooter to bring away with a camper van. we have always used bikes but are getting older and would like to travel a bit further from campsites without having to take the camper. I have a towbar and am happy enough to get a suitable trailer. My questions are as follows.

1. There are 2 of us. Would we be better off gettting one decent moped or one smaller one each.
    2. We both have B licences. What does this entitle us to?
    3. any makes to recommend? New or 2nd hand.
    4. what kind of money are we talikng about typically..

I would rather stay away from having to do any kind of theory tests or driving/riding tests at our age but if that is the only way to get something suitable then i would consider it. Also there is a good chance this/these mopeds would only be used a few weeks of the year if that is relevant..

B license is for cars which have nothing to do with bikes at all. although I believe if you got your full car license before 2005/2006 then you should have the moped license on it so you can get a scooter. Maz size 50cc. Check your license to see do you have that license on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer some...

My commute is 80-100 miles a day. It costs me €50-€60 per week. The bike is 900cc and I "push her on", having said that, some days I take my wife's CB400, and it costs about €10-€12 per day!

So if the cb400 is 10 euro a day,which is better on juice.

horse7 wrote: »

So if the cb400 is 10 euro a day,which is better on juice.

Overall, the ZX9 is. I'm 6'4" and just over 16 stone, so the CB400 struggles to stay at or above 120kph with me on it. Whereas the ZX does it with ease. The CB400 is better fun on the twisties though. :D

• Hi guys

Quick one for you, I've a provision A licence (did my theory, am in the middle of doing all of my IBT training) and will then be picking up a Vespa PX 125 next month. I'm wondering what the story is with the test in 6 months time, if I do the test on my Vespa, will that mean they'll only give me an A1 licence instead of the A provisional I currently have?

Cheers fellas

In 6 months you'd get a full M because you ride a scooter. (I think)

If you were on a 125 motorbike, with the new licencing you'd get an A2 licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

Don't think you'd get an A2 either, because there's a minimum size of bike that you must take the test on to get an A2.

I think your guess regarding the A1 is correct, Entrepreneur - and if the vespa is automatic, your licence would only permit you to ride automatics as well.

Edit: Category M covers mopeds with a max speed of 45kph (it used to refer to under 50cc but I'm not sure if that applies any more), so that won't apply to your 125cc vespa either.

• Advertisement

• gipi wrote: »
    Don't think you'd get an A2 either, because there's a minimum size of bike that you must take the test on to get an A2.

I think your guess regarding the A1 is correct, Entrepreneur - and if the vespa is automatic, your licence would only permit you to ride automatics as well.

Edit: Category M covers mopeds with a max speed of 45kph (it used to refer to under 50cc but I'm not sure if that applies any more), so that won't apply to your 125cc vespa either.

Ok thanks for that. Better I know this now then later on. So how realistic would it be for me to get lessons on a 250 with a school and then do my test on the school bike? I basically want to make sure I never have to go through this IBT hassle ever again.

And I want a full A licence but I only want a 125 cc bike for now.

Advertisement