Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Hey,

If I did a car theory test back in 2008 do I need to do another one for a motor bike?

What would be a good starter bike to look for? Im 27 and the only experience on a bike I have was driving a honda dream for 3 months back in 2008.

Thanks,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

ryoishin wrote: »
    Hey,

If I did a car theory test back in 2008 do I need to do another one for a motor bike?

What would be a good starter bike to look for? Im 27 and the only experience on a bike I have was driving a honda dream for 3 months back in 2008.

Thanks,

John

Yes, You'll have to do the "A" category theory test. A good starter bike would differ to each poster, I'd recommend a Honda CBF250. It's a great communter bike, realible and great on juice.

Are you aware of IBT that all new learners have to undertake before riding on the road alone? I'll attach a link for you:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/Commonly-asked-questions/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Passed my theory. Now should I get lessons first, or go straight into the IBT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Passed my theory. Now should I get lessons first, or go straight into the IBT?

you have no choice...you will not even have a valid licence until the IBT is done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

eurofoxy wrote: »
    you have no choice...you will not even have a valid licence until the IBT is done...

I meant like lessons in a confined space, on provided bikes etc. Ive never even ridden a motorbike before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I meant like lessons in a confined space, on provided bikes etc. Ive never even ridden a motorbike before.

thing is thats what the IBT is...its designed for a smooth introduction to biking...most instructors would advise doing the IBT and then trying riding yourself and going back for a few lessons once you have a bit of experience riding on your own, just to make sure you are keeping up the good habits and not getting any bad habits...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Ok possible stupid question.
    Can you do your A test on a 125?

I'm just getting into biking and have some quotes for various 125s for around 550

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

CptMackey wrote: »
    Ok possible stupid question.
    Can you do your A test on a 125?

I'm just getting into biking and have some quotes for various 125s for around 550

If you do the test on a 125, you'll be given an A1 licence. You have to do it on a 250 to be given the A licence.
    If you only want a 125 bike, but want the A licence, then just see if you can borrow a bike for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

Hi guys

Just wanted to know how would a restriction effect a bike like a Triumph Bonneville? Im considering a harley 883 or restricted Bonneville for first bike.
    Thanks

It'll make it slower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

theory test at 12 today! ive taken 17 mock tests off the dvd and passed them all so i think i'll be ok!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

serious3 wrote: »
    theory test at 12 today! ive taken 17 mock tests off the dvd and passed them all so i think i'll be ok!!

Good luck with the test. Bring all relevent paperwork with you to your local motor tax office and apply for the learner permit.

theory test passed! all paperwork gone express post to my local tax office( 55miles away) just gotta wait for the permit :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

serious3 wrote: »
    theory test passed! all paperwork gone express post to my local tax office( 55miles away) just gotta wait for the permit :(

All in good time lad! You've taken the first step, the rest will flow. ;)

Didn't want to start up a new thread, but I'm wondering what the story is with L tabards. I know that they're not really enforced by the guards, and most people don't wear them, but has anyone ever had any issues with their insurance being void for not wearing one?

Cause personally I don't/wouldn't wear one cause it looks a bit stupid and people react dangerously to them, but if I thought that if I crashed and my insurance would be voided because I wasn't wearing the L Tabard I'd go out tomorrow and buy one.

Anyone got any experience with the matter?

Pipz wrote: »
    Didn't want to start up a new thread, but I'm wondering what the story is with L tabards. I know that they're not really enforced by the guards, and most people don't wear them, but has anyone ever had any issues with their insurance being void for not wearing one?

Cause personally I don't/wouldn't wear one cause it looks a bit stupid and people react dangerously to them, but if I thought that if I crashed and my insurance would be voided because I wasn't wearing the L Tabard I'd go out tomorrow and buy one.

Not too sure about it with regard to the insurance, but I do know some cops are strict about it. A mate of mine got pulled recently and the cop insisted he go home and put the tabard on. He actually followed him home to make sure he put it on.

Having said that, I know exactly where you're coming from. When I was out teaching herself and she had one on, it was like a target on her back for ignorant, obnoxious drivers. So (although I probably shouldn't have) I told her not to bother wearing it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Your insurance cannot simply be voided over this matter, the same way your insurance cannot be voided for not displaying l plates in a car. The matter may be considered in conjunction with other things, in an accident for example.

In my experience, I have never heard of a claim being dismissed due to this matter and to be honest, if you find yourself in a situation after an accident and this matter is raised and your solicitor doesn't fight it, find yourself one that can do their job.

I am only speaking from an insurance point of view and not a prosecution point of view.

well i did my ibt last week, i took off the tabbard before riding home as i figured that if the guards saw me with it on in my home town then it would stand to reason that the one day i didnt wear it locally they would spot me and do me!! i was told to keep it under the seat or in your pocket;)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Your insurance company still has to pay out, even if you're breaking the law. So you could be drunk, speeding and not wearing your tabbard and they'd still pay out on a claim. Good luck with the guards if that happens though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

BOF666 wrote: »
    Your insurance company still has to pay out, even if you're breaking the law. So you could be drunk, speeding and not wearing your tabbard and they'd still pay out on a claim. Good luck with the guards if that happens though!

They have to pay out on Third Party claims, but if you are breaking the law or terms of your insurance they don't have to pay out on your own claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

They have to pay out on Third Party claims, but if you are breaking the law or terms of your insurance they don't have to pay out on your own claims.

Breaking the law and the terms of your insurance are different. If you tell your insurer that your bike is restricted when it's not for example, they'll pay a third party claim but can bring you to court to get the money back off you (not sure how often this happens, I only know that they're entitled to it).

If you're breaking the law they still have to pay out on a claim, regardless. Think about crashes involving learner drivers driving without fully licensed drivers, people driving without seatbelts, people speeding etc, there's no grey area, they all get paid if they crash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Not sure what the issue with wearing one is, I didnt like doing it (felt like a nob with it on given my age) i did not feel like I experienced anyone targetting me as I had it on and it is a useful indicator to people that are considerate that you are a learner, those that wouldnt be considerate probably wouldnt care if its on or not.

Also its a good incentive to pass the test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Pipz wrote: »

TBH I dont think they look stupid (thats a matter of personal taste) I wear a hi vis all the time (I have my test) as I personally think cages react to it better (they might think its police etc and give you a second more time) then not wearing one and it keeps my textile jacket a hell of alot cleaner as I do a fair few miles. The only time I dont wear the Hi viz is when its very hot....

When I was learning I wore the vest religously but NEVER with the L on it. Anything that makes you seen quicker is a good thing....;)

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    TBH I dont think they look stupid (thats a matter of personal taste) I wear a hi vis all the time (I have my test) as I personally think cages react to it better (they might think its police etc and give you a second more time) then not wearing one and it keeps my textile jacket a hell of alot cleaner as I do a fair few miles. The only time I dont wear the Hi viz is when its very hot....

When I was learning I wore the vest religously but NEVER with the L on it. Anything that makes you seen quicker is a good thing....;)

I'm never on my bike without a high-vis, its the big L plates that I was referring to as looking stupid. But a high vis I wear for my own safety, be safe be seen and all that. :P. It was the L plates specifically that I was referring to.

I know this technically isn't a learner question but it doesn't need it's own thread.

I've a buddy about to buy some gear on Bikergear.ie the helmet and such. I'm looking at the prices and some pictures and really don't trust that the stuff is over all as safe as it should be. Does anyone know if their equipment complies with regulations and is in fact safe enough? (i.e. Made in the EU or are they counterfeit (given the prices I can't be sure))

I know this technically isn't a learner question but it doesn't need it's own thread.

I've a buddy about to buy some gear on Bikergear.ie the helmet and such. I'm looking at the prices and some pictures and really don't trust that the stuff is over all as safe as it should be. Does anyone know if their equipment complies with regulations and is in fact safe enough? (i.e. Made in the EU or are they counterfeit (given the prices I can't be sure))

You'll know by the branding if nothing else. Then again there was a geezer on Done Deal recently selling fake Alpinestars gloves. Having said that, Bikergear.ie are ok as far as bike stuff goes. If your buddy is getting a helmet, the Nitro lids they do are decent enough. Don't bother with their other ones. But buying a helmet, I'd be getting it in a shop so you can try for size.

As for the jackets and trousers, they all look like non branded stuff. They'll certainly do for someone starting off, but the quality won't be great TBH. Better off going to somewhere like Cotters or up north to buy the bike gear.

Any reason for buying the stuff online and not going to a shop??

Any reason for buying the stuff online and not going to a shop??

I'm guessing it's cost more than anything, though I have said to him Buy cheap buy twice.

I just hope he's not planning to go for a G-mac helmet, clothing will protect you a little anyway, a sh1t helmet might not.

I'm guessing it's cost more than anything, though I have said to him Buy cheap buy twice.

I can tell you from experience that's exactly right!! He doesn't have to buy Alpinestars or Richa gear, but no point buying sh!te either! Is he in Cork too? Go to Lee's Honda, ask for Eric. Tell him you're starting off and need good, but inexpensive gear.
    I just hope he's not planning to go for a G-mac helmet, clothing will protect you a little anyway, a sh1t helmet might not.

Oh God no. He might as well have an egg on his head FFS! Nitro would be entry level, I wouldn't get anything lower TBH and don't let anyone fill your head with horsesh!t about any SHARP rating either!!!

I can tell you from experience that's exactly right!! He doesn't have to buy Alpinestars or Richa gear, but no point buying sh!te either! Is he in Cork too? Go to Lee's Honda, ask for Eric. Tell him you're starting off and need good, but inexpensive gear.

Oh God no. He might as well have an egg on his head FFS! Nitro would be entry level, I wouldn't get anything lower TBH and don't let anyone fill your head with horsesh!t about any SHARP rating either!!!

Aye, I'm trying to convince him to look for proper ratings and such, My own stuff (just starting out too) is my dad's leather, and my own boots/helmet. He doesn't get that cheap gear won't keep you safe. He thinks it's all the same.

Same guy won't wear anything but brand name clothing :pac: I'll get him around to the right idea. :)

Same guy won't wear anything but brand name clothing :pac: I'll get him around to the right idea. :)

Yeah, but it doesn't have to be "top of the range" stuff, entry level/inexpensive gear will do just fine: Nitro, KBC, HJC, Buffalo, RST, Swift, Akito etc. would all do perfectly fine and not too dear. Ah, it's his body/head/hands. All you can do is your best.

• Advertisement

I just got myself insured (Liberty 850 fully comp paying in installments.) How do I go about getting taxed now since I don't have my insurance disk yet? Or do I even need proof of insurance to get taxed?

Advertisement