Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toast Of London

• 17-08-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭

The pilot episode for Arthur Matthews new sitcom debuts on Monday 20th August at 10.00pm as part of Channel 4's Funny Fortnight season.

It stars Matt Berry (The IT Crowd) as Steven Toast
    Steven Toast is a successful actor. Now in his forties, Toast regularly appears in prestigious television dramas, and on the London stage. However, he has made a recent career faux pas by electing to star in a new controversial West End stage play. The play is considered so outrageous, that Toast is frequently attacked by appalled members of the British public.

In this pilot episode Toast is asked to audition for long-running television series 'Summer Time Murders'. However, the producer has been imprisoned for racial chanting on the set of his own production, so Toast has to audition for the part of a gay corrupt detective during prisoner's visiting time.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/toast-of-london/video/series-1/episode-1/s1-ep1-toast-of-london

Not sure about the clip but I enjoy Arthur Matthews work so I'll watch the pilot anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

brian_t wrote: »

Not sure about the clip but I enjoy Arthur Matthews work so I'll watch the pilot anyway.

From past experience Arthur Mathews without Graham Linehan is not in the same league as Mathews and Linehan together, or Graham Linehan by himself.

Arthur Mathews solo work includes Hippies, Val Falvey TD and the movie 'Wide Open Spaces', none of which I really enjoyed.

I hope I am wrong. I will certainly give this pilot a look, but I don't have very high hopes.

That was rather good! Matt Berry is excellent (as usual). I hope it gets picked up for a full series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Should this not be on 4od? I cant find it.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od/catchup

Should this not be on 4od? I cant find it.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od/catchup

They have it on their Youtube page (although not on the Channel 4 site for some reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Thanks for the link skid.
    I'm was not impressed by it though. Berry was good and I love his music but the show was all over the place and not very funny.
    Would prefer to see Berry in a second series of Darkplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

Skid wrote: »
    From past experience Arthur Mathews without Graham Linehan is not in the same league as Mathews and Linehan together, or Graham Linehan by himself.
    That's interesting.

I thought the show itself was reasonable.
    I would definitely watch the first episode of a series but at this stage wouldn't commit to watching a whole series.

I didn't realise Matt Berry had a part in the Olympics Closing Ceremony
    introducing ELO's 'Mr. Blue Sky' by way of a mock weather forecast.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Berry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Watched it there, was very disappointed really. Not funny at all. Berry was good, I always enjoy him but show was very poor. Won't be watching anymore of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I liked it and I don't know why. Berry of course was excellent as always. It's had it moments, like the VO scene and and the scene with the wardrobe at the start.

I'd defiantly give one or two episodes a go if it got commissioned but whether it has the steam for a 6 episode run is another thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

all over the shop.

even if it holds onto the absurd, it wont work - because the absurd has to be grounded in the believable to work - eg, Basil Fawlty/ Frazier/ Victor Mildrew/ Fr Ted are absurd characters but they're believable because they could exist. and their everyday environment facilitates this

In this case, the character is pushed to the extreme edge - AND his environment is extreme/ ridiculous, (the production guys in the 'yes' booth', the agent, the old guy 'flatmate' ) so there is no grounding.

there's an old adage in comedy

crazy guy, normal environment (Fawlty)

OR

crazy environment, normal guys (MASH)

a rookie mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

The pilot episode for Arthur Matthews new sitcom debuts on Monday 20th August at 10.00pm as part of Channel 4's Funny Fortnight season.

It stars Matt Berry (The IT Crowd) as Steven Toast

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/toast-of-london/video/series-1/episode-1/s1-ep1-toast-of-london

Wasn't Arthur Matthews behind Big Train? That was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

sarkozy wrote: »
    Wasn't Arthur Matthews behind Big Train? That was amazing.

Yup. But he wrote it with Graham Linehan. None of his stuff since he stopped writing with Linehan has been as good.

yeah wasn't that utter mess 'Hippies' by Mathews alone? (no ones gonna mention Val Falvey, of course...)

but yeah, one, even two misses is fine. but 3? all over baby.

Skid wrote: »

Arthur Mathews solo work includes Hippies, Val Falvey TD and the movie 'Wide Open Spaces', none of which I really enjoyed.

I hope I am wrong. I will certainly give this pilot a look, but I don't have very high hopes.
    missed this post. so yeah, hippies and that other vacuous piece wide open spaces. christ. give it up dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Toast of London has been commissioned for a six part series

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-05-10/matt-berrys-toast-of-london-gets-full-series
    Channel 4's comedy commissioning editor Rachel Springett said, "We are thrilled to be making a series of Toast of London with the exceptionally talented Arthur Mathews and Matt Berry. After appearing in The IT Crowd and Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, Matt Berry is ready for his own show; and combined with the comic brilliance of Arthur Matthews, it makes for an exciting and tantalising project – the perfect fit for comedy on Channel 4."

"I hope I can deliver and satisfy," added Berry. The six half-hour episodes will begin filming in June

I liked the pilot, and more Matt Berry on TV has to be a good thing.

Skid X wrote: »
    Toast of London has been commissioned for a six part series

It starts on Sunday, October 20th at 10.40pm

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/toast-of-london/episode-guide/series-1/
    Ep.1 Things are looking up for Steven. His agent Jane Plough gives him some exciting news: he's won a 'Best Actor' award from trendy Bra'z' Magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 84,959 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bump reminder for tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Have to say I p**sed myself laughing at this, the Bruce forsyth plastic surgery joke:D I mean how does somebody even come up with something so warped it was brilliant. Although maybe it's me that has the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Best tv I've seen in ages.

Beekeeper, Brucie, the surreality, the puns, canal poetry..... it al added up to something great.

I think it has the makings of a true marmite programme - a lot of people won't like it at all, but I thought it was great. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Also, Steven Toast is a dead ringer for Dickie Davies, who used to present World of Sport on ITV a long time ago. That silver streak in black hairnever went out of fashion :D

332425101_640.jpg

article-1258686-031F53CA0000044D-22_224x364.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Disturbing Brucie in women's night attire aside, it was brilliant. Matt Berry is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Still enjoying this, some really funny bits in it, unless it's a better time slot than I imagine, channel four aren't doing it many favours with the scheduling, tucking it away late on a Sunday night.

Good news, Toast - Renewed for a second series

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/dec/06/toast-of-london-second-series-channel-4
    Toast of London was critically lauded but little watched – averaging about 400,000 viewers in its 10.40pm Sunday slot. Channel 4 is understood to have ordered a second series partly because of the show's older, upmarket ABC1 audience demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Skid X wrote: »
    Good news, Toast - Renewed for a second series

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/dec/06/toast-of-london-second-series-channel-4
    Toast of London was critically lauded but little watched – averaging about 400,000 viewers in its 10.40pm Sunday slot. Channel 4 is understood to have ordered a second series partly because of the show's older, upmarket ABC1 audience demographic.

I wasn't aware of that social grade demographic category system:

Social Grade Social Status Occupation
    A upper middle class higher managerial, administrative or professional
    B middle class intermediate managerial, administrative or professional
    C1 lower middle class supervisory or clerical, junior managerial, administrative or professional
    C2 skilled working class skilled manual workers
    D working class semi and unskilled manual workers
    E those at lowest level of subsistence state pensioners or widows (no other earner), casual or lowest grade workers

Glad to see that this is getting a second series, really enjoyed the first.

https://twitter.com/porksmith/status/523169705767739392

Still not a great timeslot, but good to see it back.

Toast Of London S2 begins Mon Nov 3rd 10:45pm repeated Fri nights 11pm .

Just to save folk having to click the link

Just to save folk having to click the link

Does the full detail not appear in the link? I thought it was all there, maybe it varies on different OS's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Crazy scheduling but its a great comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Clem_Fandango

Hello All, This is Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?

Mind

the

Gap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That was quite entertaining, in particular the sex scenes.

Advertisement