Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Invisible bike helmet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What inflates it? Is it some impact, or..?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

A complicated device that relies on sensors and explosive infalation to accomplish what an actual helmet does while inert. Plus I imagine it can only be used once. Plus it will be really expensive. This is the dumbest thing I've heard of in quite a while.

Stupid hippies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    This is the dumbest thing I've heard of in quite a while.
    :eek: Whaaaa?? The engineering that went into creating that was unreal. Yeh id say its mega expensive but they've created a compact mobile airbag for cycling...i think its really impressive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

What happens if you say lose balance on your bike and fall off? Does it inflate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

What happens if you say lose balance on your bike and fall off? Does it inflate?
    Your wallet groans! :D

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    :eek: Whaaaa?? The engineering that went into creating that was unreal. Yeh id say its mega expensive but they've created a compact mobile airbag for cycling...i think its really impressive!!

It's fvcking retarded. Can you name one advantage over a normal helmet, apart from that it doesn't mess up you hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It's fvcking retarded. Can you name one advantage over a normal helmet, apart from that it doesn't mess up you hair?
    - It's easier to carry around. It's more foldable than a helmut so will fit in a bag
    - Some people can be self-conscious about wearing a helmut. Sad but true.
    - You'll stay cooler whilst cycling, as you've nothing on the top of your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

http://www.hovding.com/en/faq/

It's nearly €500, and can only be deployed once. It does offer better protection to the side of the head though than a standard bicycle helmet. I quite like it, fair play to the two girls to get funding for a college project like that.

- It's easier to carry around. It's more foldable than a helmut so will fit in a bag
    - Some people can be self-conscious about wearing a helmut. Sad but true.
    - You'll stay cooler whilst cycling, as you've nothing on the top of your head.

Even if it is more portable, I don't know about you but I wouldn't be happy carrying around an explosive device in a bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

current helmets can only be used once too. And so many people don't know how to put them on, rendering them useless. I agree re the prohibitive cost, but interesting nonetheless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

"We're going to save the world"

"It's chicken to be a realist"

Bit heavy handed for an inflatable crash helmet. A lot of trust in that it'll even deploy.

For that price you could buy a seriously well-built helmet. Does it go off even if you just fall off your bike, as in you just trip over a curb, nothing serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

dearg lady wrote: »
    current helmets can only be used once too. And so many people don't know how to put them on, rendering them useless. I agree re the prohibitive cost, but interesting nonetheless!

Not all spills off a bike result in the helmet getting a knock. and helmets are cheap and robust. like most things bike related.

There is a whiff of the €3K designer bike about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Not all spills off a bike result in the helmet getting a knock. and helmets are cheap and robust. like most things bike related.

There is a whiff of the €3K designer bike about this.

true, but if it gets even the tiniest bang it should be replaced. Bike helmets are cheap yes, I don't think theyy are particularly robust

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

is that not the point , you fall off , it inflates , people get brain injury from just " falling off " bikes

granted will be pricey at first , but once it catch's on it will fall in price

its a very clever idea really , kids dont and wont wear bike helmets because they look ****e , this looks cool and its a ****ing airbag maaaannnnn :cool:

now lets see the motorbike version and ill buy one in a instant
    i LOVE the idea of being able to ride a bike with no lid , but when the taxi driver gets ya ( and he will ) bam !!!! the lid inflates - they really could make bucket loads of cash from this

Even if it is more portable, I don't know about you but I wouldn't be happy carrying around an explosive device in a bag

do you drive a car ? you have at least 6 of them in a confined space .

me, i carry a explosive device in my bags everyday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Video is 3:35 minutes long, invisible helmet is on screen for all of 10 seconds. Is this video a promotion for the helmet or the two chicks?

Duggy747 wrote: »
    "We're going to save the world"

"It's chicken to be a realist"

Bit heavy handed for an inflatable crash helmet. A lot of trust in that it'll even deploy.

For that price you could buy a seriously well-built helmet. Does it go off even if you just fall off your bike, as in you just trip over a curb, nothing serious?

but everyone is assuming a slight knock will set it off - we dont know that it will
    i would imagine that they use the same system as a car , i have bumped into many things in my car and the airbags have never gone off

a lot of money has gone into this - i would wager all these concerns have been answered - anyway you should ALWAYS change a lid when it takes a knock - only a fool does not

as for 3,000k - did someone not say it was 500 euro ? a half decent motorcycle lid cost that so no real killer - as i said - i would get one pronto if they were fool proof and they did them for motorbikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i would get one pronto if they were fool proof and they did them for motorbikes

cant see them working for motorbikes. you'd hardly be able to see if you were going any decent speed without a visor because of the air speed.

cant see them working for motorbikes. you'd hardly be able to see if you were going any decent speed without a visor because of the air speed.

eh ......... open face lids have been around since the 40's , no visor
    i was a motorcycle courier for 13 years and rarely had my visor down , unless it was PISSING rain , you get used to the wind in your eyes real quick

the real problem is fly s and bees in the summer , but seeing we dont get summer in Ireland no problem really

having no visor is no issue , shades or glasses will do nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

dj jarvis wrote: »
    eh ......... open face lids have been around since the 40's , no visor
    i was a motorcycle courier for 13 years and rarely had my visor down , unless it was PISSING rain , you get used to the wind in your eyes real quick

the real problem is fly s and bees in the summer , but seeing we dont get summer in Ireland no problem really

having no visor is no issue , shades or glasses will do nicely

ah right, i was thinking open road doing 100kmph. nevermind!

• Advertisement

only 100kmph , you dont drive bikes do you :D

trust me having no visor is no problem - i done it for years , trust me

from what i have seen in the few seconds its on screen , it has potential

They really shoulda just gone with this design. Same result.

:pac:

I'd actually consider getting one because I don't wear a cycle helmet at all, can't seem to get one to fit my irregular shaped head. Perhaps Santa might oblige.

slightly off topic

but the EU fu2k wits were pushing for airbags that covered the FULL bike :eek:
    i have seen some footage , and it would be lethal , like a golf ball in traffic

thank god they did not push it

now this also has potential

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Vlt5tGwY

Some of the riders in motogp use airbags similar to that one. Rossi I know has one, it's fitted into the hump of his leathers.

Here's a video of the other one being tested on a fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

This is a fantastically brilliant idea. How many kids have you seen cycling to school with their helmet swinging from the handle bars as soon as they are out of sight of their parents?
    How many supposedly intelligent adults do you see on their bikes without helmets.

Cycle helmets are uncomfortable and sweaty - this device answers the big reasons why people don't wear helmets. The price will come down as demand increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

It's not invisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Its a complete pile of shíte imho. You have to charge it, it costs a fortune to buy, costs a fortune if it inflates, wearing something like that around your neck restricts your movement. Looking at the design of the website, looks like its designed for supermodels.
    I regularly drive at 120kph on a motorway with a flip up helmet completely open.
    Although, not a chance I'd trust a motorbike version of one of these to deploy when I fall off instead of wearing a normal helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From the video, it seems to take two to three seconds to deploy. In a real life situation, this won't work. Also, if you fall off your bike (ice, snow, pothole), will it deploy? I doubt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Video is slowed down ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

When I was younger (:() I used to ride my bike really fast, like i mean really really fast and then jump off, would this deploy.

Pulling a wheelie, deploy?
    Going down steps, bumby hill, speed bumps?

Advertisement