Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought a car in the north......

Options
  • 15-08-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi All,

I Purchased a car in the north from a dealer 10 weeks ago along with a 6 month warranty. I was told at the time of purchase that if anything went wrong with the car, all i had to do is get the car to the border (Newry) and they would take over from there and get it fixed for us as long as it wasnt the clutch, wipers or bulbs.

Last week we were away in Kerry and the car broke down. Two injectors went. Having contacted the dealer they said that the car must be returned to there address in the north and that an assessor would decide whether the car would be fixed or not. If not then i would have to get it towed back down and have it fixed myself. This was not stated at the outset when purchasing the warranty nor was i given any paper work for the warranty.

What are my options here as i would like to reclaim the £300 for the warranty that was missold to me and also the €780 which it is costing to have the injector repaired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

The 'assessor' is probably just the garage's way of saying that they need to diagnose the car first to see that it's not clutch/wipers etc and that it really is injectors. The terms of the warranty are that you bring the car to them, so it's probably the only way to do it.

Must say, though, 'injectors' is quite an odd failure. Especially to have two go at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sometimes injector failures are down to misfuelling etc. they wouldn't cover it in this case. Why not just get the car up there and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

What car is it?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How was the warranty mis-sold? You agreed to bring it to newry if there was a problem, didn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PassMoz

What did you expect to happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭inovo

I was told initially to bring the car to Newry, now they want me to bring it directly to them north of Belfast. I was told initially that once it isn't the clutch or wipers that it is garanteed to be fixed, now they said an assessor must look at the the car first. If he deems it wear and tear regardless of the issue then they wont cover it and i must get it towed back down and repair it myself. The possibility of the assessor saying it is wear and tear is quite high and the return towing costs could effectively double the cost of repair. I was missold the policy as i was told one thing and the facts are quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

franksm wrote: »
    Must say, though, 'injectors' is quite an odd failure. Especially to have two go at once.

Not when you live on the border counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

Why would you think the assessor would say 2 injector failures are wear and tear ?

Wait for the assessor, get the report from him also and then decide. No need to panic by presuming someones response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

inovo wrote: »
    I was told initially to bring the car to Newry, now they want me to bring it directly to them north of Belfast. I was told initially that once it isn't the clutch or wipers that it is garanteed to be fixed, now they said an assessor must look at the the car first. If he deems it wear and tear regardless of the issue then they wont cover it and i must get it towed back down and repair it myself. The possibility of the assessor saying it is wear and tear is quite high and the return towing costs could effectively double the cost of repair. I was missold the policy as i was told one thing and the facts are quite different.

You paid £300 for a warranty which suggests you purchased an extended warranty (probably backed by a 3rd party/underwriter). If so, don't you have any documentation which states the T&C of the warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

inovo wrote: »

What car is it????

• Advertisement

If its the likes of a mapfre warranty, would the warranty company assess it down south I wonder? Read your warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭sheehan12

i guess it is passat 2.0tdi. will i be right :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

a renault

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PassMoz

But really this is why anyone is mad to buy a car in another Country.

I would say so many are scams because they know you are far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

PassMoz wrote: »

Lol, your back with more words of wisdom.

when i got a passat in uk got my computer out with vagcom diagnostics on it to do a check on it and if seller did like it he can keep the car

It's well known that nobody in norn iron actually buy new cars, it's a dumping ground for used uk mainland focuss and passats with injector problems, they don't even advertise the cars up there. The only used cars sold up there are to people from the south. Its all a scam, once they find it you're from Ireland they swap the actual car for a car they know will develop a problem in the future but which shows no actual symptoms at the time.

Heard that off my cousins uncles friend.

Crafty they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless it's an Octavia TDi which is the answer to everyone's "what car shall I buy?" question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

It's just retribution for the sabotage done to the Titanic in Queenstown/Cobh in 1912. The ship was fine when it left Belfast, yet the Roman Catholics and their trickery, loosening the rivets...

Retribution, plain and simple.

PassMoz wrote: »

is that for a dealer who is import truck load of car and making big money out of it ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement