Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sponsor a patrol car?

• 09-08-2012 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0809/gra-garda-patrol-cars.html

A bit like bus advertising, you could have patrol car advertising.

Say a company sponsors a car and gets their logo on it for the 300km its used by the force?

The company is doing a public service and the Gardaí get new patrol cars.

Everyones a winner!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Sure change the siren to upcoming movie releases :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

scholar007 wrote: »

Say a company sponsors a car and gets their logo on it for the 300km its used by the force?

Everyones a winner!

Or even better yet, have them install small screens in the back where they can have their adverts screened 24x7 so anyone arrested can watch the screen! :eek:

Seriously, can you imagine garda car with a huge McDonald's sign on it! It would be a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Seriously, can you imagine garda car with a huge McDonald's sign on it! It would be a joke!

Would it really?

Surely, the Irish public want their guardians and upholders of law and order to have the tools and equipment to do so, including operational patrol cars which are up to the job.

What does it matter if there is advertising on it? Hard times! Beggars can't be choosers. Would you prefer gardaí who cannot move out of the station because they have no operational patrol cars?

Dennys could sponsor paddy wagons
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Maybe some of the Grow Shops could sponsor one, Would be fair funny to see a Garda car with pictures of a Hash leaf and some seeds..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I'm not gettong into any car with "durex" written on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Or perhaps the local 'Cash For Gold' shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Peanut2011 wrote: »

As if the current situation is not a joke. Funny there's lots of Irish taxpayers money available to bail out billionaire speculators from their private gambling debts though. In 2010 the government gave 6 billion in just one day to FF Anglo Irish Bank. Where's that money now ? How many cop cars would that have bought ? Approx 200,000

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a strong risk that such a scheme would lead to accusations of or actual favouritism.

"We sponsor 10 cars. We demand that our situations be dealt with as a priority." - retail manager.

"Judge, it is just typical, the Garda taking the side of their sponsors as usual." - local scumbag (translated and sanitised).

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Anyone?
    1777507481_11adfdfef7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Don't like the idea one bit...

A better approach would be - "You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can be used as evidence. Are you paying too much for your car insurance?" :pac:

Well seeing as the ordinary taxpayer is too busy paying off private billionaires and their private companies gambling debts, I'm sure the Irish golden cirlce could spare some of their own cash for a change instead of stashing it in the Caymans and laughing at the gullible Irish public.

Jellicoe wrote: »
    As if the current situation is not a joke. Funny there's lots of Irish taxpayers money available to bail out billionaire speculators from their private gambling debts though. In 2010 the government gave 6 billion in just one day to FF Anglo Irish Bank. Where's that money now ? How many cop cars would that have bought ? Approx 200,000
    Jellicoe wrote: »
    Well seeing as the ordinary taxpayer is too busy paying off private billionaires and their private companies gambling debts, I'm sure the Irish golden cirlce could spare some of their own cash for a change instead of stashing it in the Caymans and laughing at the gullible Irish public.
    That hymn sheet your singing from is getting mighty old. Get over it, it's done. Banks were bailed out, ordinary taxpayers got screwed, golden circles got goldener. Funnily enough, none of it's really relative to this.

That hymn sheet your singing from is getting mighty old. Get over it, it's done. Banks were bailed out, ordinary taxpayers got screwed, golden circles got goldener. Funnily enough, none of it's really relative to this.

The truth hurts.

Nothing has changed. I know the shills are still trying to bury the truth, but the thing is, their stench of corruption just won't wash off even with weasel words. The fact the corrupt state cannot now even afford police patrol cars, while the rich get richer, as the ordinary taxpayer continues to struggle while paying off private billionaires gambling debts, is very relevant.

Maybe there wont be justice today or tomorrow, but someday there will, and until then, we won't be silenced by any bully boy intimidation tactics.

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=+2]A[/SIZE]ND I say to my people's masters: Beware,
    Beware of the thing that is coming, beware of the risen people,
    Who shall take what ye would not give. Did ye think to conquer the people,
    Or that Law is stronger than life and than men's desire to be free?
    We will try it out with you, ye that have harried and held,
    Ye that have bullied and bribed, . . . tyrants, hypocrites, liars!
    "The Rebel" by Patrick Pearse
    DSCF4162-00.jpg
    [/SIZE]

It's very clear what the ordinary Gardai think of the golden circle corruption in this country :

"[Minister] I welcome you to the 32nd Annual Delegate Conference of the Garda Representative Association. I accept your non-attendance last year was due to circumstances beyond your control, but was disappointed you did not make greater effort to fulfil our invitation to attend the conference dinner.

At conference last year I called for the embargo on promotions to be lifted. I thank the Minister for Finance for heeding the call and I’m glad to say that practically all the members of the Garda Representative Association who should have been promoted last year now are.

At conference last year I said, “This government is driving experience out of An Garda Síochána. A rising number of members of all ranks who could and who want to continue to serve this country are considering retirement.” Sadly my words proved to be correct. In one garda division alone, numbers are down by 20 in recent months.

At conference last year I spoke about the mothballing of the Garda College. Disgracefully, there are no students in the college – for the first time in its history. Due to government policy there will be no students in the Garda College for a long time to come. An Garda Síochána is contracting by the direct action of the government; experience is being driven out and no new blood coming in. This is pushing the Force to the brink of disaster.

An effective police force needs continuity, a principle tried and tested the world over but ignored in Ireland. In these uncertain times the public needs to know that there will be adequate frontline gardaí for them. Garda numbers will fall again by the end of 2010. The people of Ireland should rightly demand garda recruitment is taken away from government because it is misused as an election gimmick. It is far too important for that. The Garda Representative Association will continue to campaign for an end to this obnoxious trick.

For the past year and a half, gardaí and other public sector workers have endured an unrelenting, distasteful and vitriolic attack from the government and their wealthy cronies. This was distasteful and unbelievable considering the role garda take in society. It most definitely verged on incitement to hatred. The attacks were orchestrated to demonise and marginalise public sector workers. They were designed to drive a wedge between public and private sector workers.

But the ancient tactic of divide and conquer did not succeed, except with those misguided souls who contact daytime radio talk shows. They were primed to deflect attention away from the ‘national saboteurs’.

We are angry, we have been betrayed and we are disillusioned. But I do not believe it is yet understood just how angry we are. And that anger will find an outlet, the anger that we feel will find its target.

We are angry at being portrayed as self-serving, overpaid, under-worked and dishonest people with overly generous pensions that we don’t pay for. Yes, there are public servants who fit into that category; they are represented by you and your colleagues, not us.

We are angry that we, our children and our children’s children have been sacrificed by this government to protect the people who bankrolled your party and robbed the Irish People. Men like Fingers and Seanie were held up by government as examples of entrepreneurial skill and business acumen but who were nothing more than ‘gombeen’ men.

We are angry at the arrogance of a government corrupted by years of power has lost touch with the reality of life on a modest salary; if they ever knew it at all. A government whose only agenda is to protect the economic traitors.

We are angry at being lectured by government on the need to be patriotic. A patriot is ‘a person who vigorously supports his country and its way of life.’ This government is misusing what it means to be Irish as they support a new aristocracy created in their image. This new aristocracy chooses whether to retain state pensions while still working as public representatives, using all means to spend vast resources on the few, while taking pay from the majority. This government have created a new class system; one that does not value our service and dedication.

We are angry about NAMA. No, not the entity set up by government to bail out developers and speculators who reneged on their debts, the cost of which you have placed on the shoulders of generations of Irish workers to come. Yes, we are angry about that, but, I am talking about the NAMA that the government is, The National Assets Mismanagement Agency.

The government of which you are a long serving member has mismanaged the wealth of this country for more than a decade by allowing our assets to be plundered and robbed by bankers and speculators and you are making generations of Irish workers pay the price for this treachery. You did this because bankers and speculators have bought your party, and in return you have sacrificed the greater good and prosperity of the Irish Nation for the benefit of the few – the few who have now taken their ill-gotten gains and secured them in tax haven around the world. Truly, a government of national sabotage.

In the face of the unwarranted attack by the government on the workers and unemployed of this country the Garda Representative Association has stood head and shoulders above other trade unions. We have shown leadership, temerity, tenaciousness and courage. We have lead from the front.

The Central Executive Committee picketed Dáil Eireann. No government minister or TD had the courage to come out and meet us. We led 4,000 of our members on a march to the Dáil. Once again no government minister had the courage to come out to us. We joined the 24/7 Frontline Services Alliance. No minister had the courage to tell us we shouldn’t be part of that alliance. They knew the answer that we would have given them.

On the 7th December 2009 we announced that we were going to ballot our members on industrial action. I have no doubt the announcement saved our allowances from the hatchet.

You Minister came out fighting, saying you were going to arrest and jail the CEC, and forgetting that you hadn’t the power. Then you threatened to seize the assets of the GRA; believing your own frenzy you went on to threaten to arrest the printers and the postal workers. As we know none of this happened – except the issuing of the ballot.

What the GRA said we would do, we did. What you, Minister, said you wouldn’t allow, you couldn’t stop.

An ‘away win’ for the Garda Representative Association.

The GRA has now set forth on a course to become a full trade union. Minister, you have said that we will never achieve that status. That is the second leg. And when, in the near future, the GRA achieves trade union status, it will be the home win."

I was thinking something like this a while ago myself.

Not marked cars, obviously, but surely your average unmarked car could act as a little billboard with company magnets stuck to it or a domino's sign on the roof or such? Not only would the car be a portable billboard, but it'd also very likely throw a lot of people off, too (admittedly, advertisers would need to change on a regular basis, as once word gets round that the local Four Star Pizza car is actually a Garda car, people will know what to be on the lookout for).

That said, I suppose a more realistic approach would be to allow promotional advertising in the actual Garda stations? Remove notice boards or such in favour of framed posters promoting offers or deals on by different businesses? I'd imagine most Garda stations would have a lot of people coming and going throughout the day. There's usually a queue, too, so what else would you have to look at other than a giant Subway poster while waiting to get your passport form looked at...

I don't understand why they can't just fund raise, though. Get a dozen sexy lady Gardaí holding batons and do a calendar. Give the fire men a run for their money. Quarterly fundraising would surely make a few Euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I was thinking something like this a while ago myself.

Not marked cars, obviously, but surely your average unmarked car could act as a little billboard with company magnets stuck to it or a domino's sign on the roof or such? Not only would the car be a portable billboard, but it'd also very likely throw a lot of people off, too (admittedly, advertisers would need to change on a regular basis, as once word gets round that the local Four Star Pizza car is actually a Garda car, people will know what to be on the lookout for).

That said, I suppose a more realistic approach would be to allow promotional advertising in the actual Garda stations? Remove notice boards or such in favour of framed posters promoting offers or deals on by different businesses? I'd imagine most Garda stations would have a lot of people coming and going throughout the day. There's usually a queue, too, so what else would you have to look at other than a giant Subway poster while waiting to get your passport form looked at...

I don't understand why they can't just fund raise, though. Get a dozen sexy lady Gardaí holding batons and do a calendar. Give the fire men a run for their money. Quarterly fundraising would surely make a few Euro?

The Phrase is "conflict of interest". The GS must be seen as a force independant of any external influence. Sponsorship removes that independance. Mr Jones is accused of stealing from Company x. Company x sponsors the local patrol car. His legal team can happily go to court saying their client can never get a fair trial because the police are funded by his accuser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Pearse St patrol car brought to you by PADDY POWER

our odds will never be beaten

2/1 chance of armed robbery being commited in the city today

25/1 chance of offender being caught (due to lack of manpower)

EVENS chance on the offender getting off with a slap on the wrist in the CCJ

i think it could work well....................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'm not sure about that but what about advertising on the outside of Garda stations?

For example, put a billboard on the north and south facing walls of Donnybrook Garda station. Leave the side facing the road alone.

Busy road, generate income, independent company such as JC Decaux deals with the advertisers.

Just as nobody thinks Irish Rail have any link with whoever is advertising on the Loop Line bridge, nobody will draw a link between the advertiser and the Guards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Seeing as schools collect Tesco tokens to get basic PE equipment,it's not that far away,I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I can see it now, collect tokens for Stab Vests :D

Once its been run down far enough, you could always privatise the Gardai, 'Irish' style, and award the 'contract' to some rich golden circle political sponsor cronie, while he avails of state 'grants', 'subsidies, and tax loopholes.

"Hello this is the Gardai, Your house has been broken into ? Please press 1. ok this week we have a 'call and see' special offer, only €62.99 inc. patrol car fees exc. VAT, please have your credit card details ready. Search for Fingerprints at scene, only an extra € 40.99 exc. VAT"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I wasn't going to go and make a new thread but I did want to get a bit serious on it for a minute. Not naming areas but talking to a few members recently who were telling me about a car that was written off a couple of years ago, is now back with their station!!! Certain members refusing to drive said written off car. I have heard about other stories about cars not being available in certain areas.

Now if I was a businessman and I got together with some other like minded concerned citizens from my locality and wanted to buy a car, could I in theory donate it to my local station.

Raise 10k and here you go!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/2.0-TDCI/613239458721190/advert?channel=CARS

Just in relation to the urgent need for garda cars, what happens to the seized vehicles that aren't claimed, could they not be used by Garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Advertising......already happening:
    Just the ticket: Gardaí go to SpecSavers to raise funds
    By Avril Primo
    Thursday, April 01, 2010
    THE gardaí have signed their first commercial deal in an attempt to counter hard-hitting financial cutbacks in the force.
    From next month, all motor fines issued by gardaí will carry branding by the eyeglasses company SpecSavers, in a deal said to be worth a "substantial six figure sum". The Department of Justice has confirmed the money generated will be "ring-fenced" and will not be used in general exchequer expenditure.

The deal has sparked fury among opposition politicians and some Garda officers who warn commercial contracts could damage the integrity and independence of the force.

One high-ranking officer, who did not wish to be named, told the Irish Examiner: "It’s an absolute disgrace that we have to resort to this to get funding for what should be provided by Government."

The idea for the partnership is believed to have come from the creative team behind the successful "Should have gone to SpecSavers" ad campaign.

They felt the branding of motoring fines would be a perfect fit, given the prevalence of sight-related excuses.

A Garda spokesperson acknowledged the deal was unusual but said if it helped generate funding in a recession it should be welcomed.

"It is also humorous and clever because we are always hearing excuses like, ‘I didn’t see the red light, guard’.

"You’d feel like telling them they should get their eyes tested but you can’t really say that. But now they’ll get it in writing with the fine saying, ‘Should have gone to SpecSavers’."

However, opposition politicians are outraged at the deal.

"This could be the thin end of the wedge," warned Fine Gael Senator Paul Coghlan. "What’s next? Will we have nurses’ uniforms sponsored by Pfizer?

"Given the day that’s in it, you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s a joke," said Mr Coghlan.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/just-the-ticket-gardai-go-to-specsavers-to-raise-funds-116093.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

searescue wrote: »

did you check the date on that?

did you check the date on that?

:pac:

You'd think they'd mark April Fool's jokes if they're been historically documented on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Shame!

tumblr_ma5vdqthnb1qdyg71o1_1280.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

scholar007 wrote: »

Everyones a winner!

I thought before that banc ceannas na hEireann (if we had our own money) could do advertising on paper notes. Although we could still do advertising on money which would be relevant to all of Europe.

Advertisement