Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CGI in Red Dwarf

Options
  • 09-08-2012 2:42pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Since Series X is coming up pretty soon I've decide to go back and watch some episodes. Trying to give Back to Earth another chance. One thing that struck me was the really cheap CGI, that it already looks aged. I know they have a small budget, but why not just build a model and composite it? There's a least some humour in pretty cheap physical props/sets rather than soulless low-res CGI. What do you reckon? Or is this the least of Back to Earth's problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think CGI work is just cheaper than model making & filming. Which is a crying shame. The older model based effects took nothing form the show, while giving it a certain charm.

The modern cgi used, is just cack, does detract from the show & ruins the immersion [as with most cgi, you just know its not real from the get-go].

Does anyone remember the older seasons were remastered with the newer effects, any info on them at all?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

From the bodysnatcher collection? Ach, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Like remember after Rimmer's Death Day celebration, the scene on Blue Midget when Lister drunk-drives home? They completely re-did it in 'hilarious' CGI. It looks SO out of place with the absolutely cheap sets. A CG Blue Midget stumbles along the moon for about 30 extra seconds. I wouldn't mind but they remove lines from the original to make space :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jaykhunter wrote: »
    From the bodysnatcher collection? Ach, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Like remember after Rimmer's Death Day celebration, the scene on Blue Midget when Lister drunk-drives home? They completely re-did it in 'hilarious' CGI. It looks SO out of place with the absolutely cheap sets. A CG Blue Midget stumbles along the moon for about 30 extra seconds. I wouldn't mind but they remove lines from the original to make space :mad:

Yeah those are the ones. Thankfully the dvd releases are the originals, but where can I see those remastered ones? I've never heard of the Bodysnatcher Collection.

Hopefully Season X will be high on comedy, & low on CGI

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

best bet is keeping your eye out on ebay/amazon etc or DVD/rental shops.

Weird, i would've thought CGI was more expensive than model-building but i guess if you could get one guy to build a set on the computer it's cheaper than a team and physically making & recording a sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah those are the ones. Thankfully the dvd releases are the originals, but where can I see those remastered ones? I've never heard of the Bodysnatcher Collection.

Undistributed copies of Bodysnatcher were lost to the London riots and it hasn't been rereleased yet so second-hand, as jayk suggests, may be your only way to go. Though the prices I've seen could be a bit much.

You can get the VHSes of the Remastered episodes much cheaper but you would be missing on some great extras from the DVD including the Bodysnatcher episode. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement