Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jobs in Waterford

• 04-03-2003 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I'm currently interested in work in Waterford (and I get the impression I'm not the only one who uses this forum who is). If people hear of jobs in the Waterford area (in my case in the IT sector) would they mind posting the contact details onto this thread pretty please?

Thanks - Evac

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

im always on the lookout for jobs in waterford in the same sector as you.. the IT sector.. but to be honest unless you are into programming there isnt much down there..

The computer centre and Datapac are the only major hardware vendors.. and compared to their operations in dublin, its very small...

Sun life are supposed to be letting people go..

Ive 5 years exeprience in Networking, Comms and various bits and pieces and there is nothng in the south east in general for
    me...

Best of luck with the hunt and let me know if you get anything/

Im probably gonna stick it out in dublin for a few more years and
    then start looking..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

theres always AOL if you fancy early insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

in a touch of surrealality I applied for the last intake of AOL employees in Oct/Nov and was passed over...Can only reason that I have experience in that type of support and am therefore inappropriate?....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Sunlife are not letting people go. Quite the opposite in fact. However, there's nothing there in hardware/software at the moment or for the forseeable future. All thats going is helpdesk jobs, which are by and large a waste of an IT degree given the nature of the calls taken. The pay is also supposed to be **** in the helpdesk. I wouldn't recomend it. However if you did want to apply all the same, let me know, I'll put your CV in the HR persons hands.

Heh, and funnily enough I sent it to Sun Life on Tuesday morning:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Abraxas

Quigs Snr, do you know if Sun Life have filled all the Oracle positions yet?

Best of luck in your hunt Evac101, it's nigh on impossible to find satisfying IT work down here. Perhaps Hegarty Computer Services are worth a shot? They're based in Carrick on Suir so roughly 20 minutes from Waterford.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

yeah ive looked around at all the IT services companies..
    but to no avail.. no one is hiring at the moment apart from AOL or
    NTL and they are for mind numbing Tech Support work..

nothing else worth even considering. :confused::(

Hi Abraxas,

There are 2 Oracle projects at the moment, our major one which is yet to fully ramp up, they are not looking for anyone yet, but I am told that once it really gets going (and I've been listening to this for a year now) then they will be off their feet and will need extra people. I am slightly sceptical about when or even if this will happen, although I am told that it will, perhaps summer time.

The other is an Oracle job in another business unit here, which was advertised about 6 months ago and a million people have been interviewed for, looking for 5 years plus. Lots of very good people interviewed for this including one or two I referred myself. I suspect that the role may not yet exist, or that our US benefactors would rather fill the position over there (complex politics in here, taking american jobs and all). If you think you've got the right stuff for it though, send me your CV and I'll give it to the relevant people for you.

Thanks for that info Quigs, but based on what you've said, I reckon I'm easily beaten on outright Oracle experience. I'm facing the same prospects Toxic last mentioned, though luckily I'm already in Waterford after nine months of job hunting.

Come to think of it, I see that the new industrial estate between NTL and the Holy Cross (can't remember its name) isn't a ghost town anymore so perhaps that's an option for anyone looking to relocate. I'll try to find out who's moved in there recently. ;)

Abraxas... u get back to waterford..??

you lucky lucky baaaaaaaaastad!!!

How did you manage that one..??

Where are u working now..? And doing what?

• Advertisement

in a touch of surrealality I applied for the last intake of AOL employees in Oct/Nov and was passed over...Can only reason that I have experience in that type of support and am therefore inappropriate?....

yes indeed, they don't want anyone who has previous experience cos you might question their approach to what they like to call "support".
    Your better off away from them, the experience gained won't even stand to you cos all you'll be doing is supporting their crappy client s/w. The conditions and pay are crap there as well, and they don't pay shift allowance for late shifts or weekends. I worked there on and off for 18 months and have to say the place really ground me down and left a bad taste in my mouth.
    They go on about being one of the biggest companies in the world and how great it is to work for them but all they done when I was there was got as much as they could outta me and gave very little back in return.

**rant over**

Either I'm having a very weird bout of deja vu or I've seen that rant before from you about AOL S8n? Anyhow, mindnumbing AOL work v's...well Dublin. I do hate Dublin enough......

ToxicPaddy: I managed it pretty much by being in the right place at the right time. I'm working for an IT solutions provider, mostly on clients' projects of various types. Not near as good as it sounds or as challenging as I'd like though.

s8n: Every ex-employee I've met has said what you've said. AOL's a dirty word around here. :D

Abraxas, I don't think that there is anyone except Enterprise Ireland out in that estate near the holy cross. I'm pretty sure of that.

I guess then you must be working for dataworks or radius.

I asked about it last night Quigs, and you're right, they're the only ones there at the moment.

I'm sure you'll understand if I prefer not to say on an open forum, but it's a competitor of those companies you mentioned. :) Unfortunately, there's no jobs going at the moment.

For what it's worth though, Guident in Clonmel were looking for an IT person very recently. Not the most challenging work, and a lot of their systems are based in the States but there's good benefits to working there. Details were on recruitireland or monster recently. ;)

yeah i actually saw that one in Guidant..

but it wasnt the most appeal job really..

Im ok so far, I like my job in dublin, dont particularly like dublin
    but im willing to give it a few more years to get what want...

The sacrifices we have to make :rolleyes:

Either I'm having a very weird bout of deja vu or I've seen that rant before from you about AOL S8n?

Not on boards afaik, but then again I could have.Then again, I'm sure theres no shortage of people on these boards who have been stung by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Bad news on the Waterford IT Jobs front here

That page changes regularly so here is the text.

63 jobs are to be lost at a factory on the IDA industrial estate in Waterford.
    The US-based multinational Honeywell are making the redundancies in their software division at one of their premises in Waterford. Honeywell, which makes parts for the airline industry says it is relocating its software operations to India because of a high cost base in Ireland.

bummer, went to collage with a few ppl who works there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Junior

There is SWFA going in Waterford and having worked for most of the companies down here I'm thinking of packing in the IT business completely and going doing something like truck driving.

AOL wasn't so bad in the early days - it gave me some good chances which I took and managed to get up and out of Waterford.

• Advertisement
Advertisement