Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Sports Pundit Complaining Ireland are not part of TeamGB

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Following the American War of Independence a new destination was sought for the transportation of convicts from Britain and Ireland 'beyond the seas'. On 13 May 1787 the first fleet, bound for Sydney Cove with a complement of convicts, sailed from Portsmouth in England. Its arrival on 26 January 1788 marks the foundation of the colony of New South Wales. The first ship to sail directly from Ireland carrying convicts under sentence of transportation was the Queen, which arrived in Port Jackson on 26 September 1791. Your talking about this point in history yes? De valera wasnt even born i may be young but im not stupid and know my history.

Er, that was my point. Transportation to the antipodes occurred during the era of British occupation of the entire island, and not during Irish independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

. During the 62 years of transportation from Ireland to Australia some 30,000 men and 9,000 women were sent as convicts to Australia for a minimum period of seven years; many more followed their loved ones as free settlers to a new life in the colony. And this is for any stupid australian to call us drunks more than likely with there irish heritage dumb wetbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Er, that was my point. Transportation to the antipodes occurred during the era of British occupation of the entire island, and not during Irish independence.

Sorry now but if england ever had what you call "full control" Irish would no longer be a spoken language and neither the gaa a sport or catholicism the irish religion.you meant full political control.

edit: my bad thought u said full control and not political control of the island.

Sorry now but if england ever had what you call "full control" Irish would no longer be a spoken language and neither the gaa a sport or catholicism the irish religion.you meant full political control.

edit: my bad thought u said full control and not political control of the island.

I said occupation of the entire island. The Act of Union took place in 1801. Transportation (on British orders) commenced slightly prior to that, during an era when Ireland was yoked to Britain under a shared monarchy.
    On your other points, Irish is I believe no longer in the top five spoken languages here, the GAA didn't exist for nearly a century after the first transportations, and the Catholic Church had to remove the facility for people to leave the church, such were the numbers of Irish seeking to formally have their affiliation with it erased.
    But all this is by the by. Back on-topic, I want to know what special needs education one needs to get a job commentating on that sports channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cotterman2

OP here, We have got moderate success, our friend Russell has made his twitter page private but I suggest we get an apology before we leave this bigot alone haha

• Advertisement

cotterman2 wrote: »
    OP here, We have got moderate success, our friend Russell has made his twitter page private but I suggest we get an apology before we leave this bigot alone haha

I wouldn't bother twittering him. Bang off a few emails to his employer if you're genuinely offended. A couple of Aussie papers were very quick with the apologies after the Irish ambassador complained about the drinking stereotypes in their coverage of Katie Taylor's victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Except most aussie's have english/irish heritage due to colonisation unless your indiginous.Unlike the irish..England only got one tiny bit of our country they got all of your's so your statement is historically wrong.

You are wrong on the fact we got federation well before the Banana Republic ever did, and your still not a whole nation,still. Sort of like loosing your left testicles i figure, a new name has arrisen for Ireland Eddy Odd Ball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

MOH wrote: »
    Oi, mate, keep it clean. No one wants to hear about yer filthy masquerading.
    gudday Snowey; 'strewth maite, me 'ands didn't move below me waist, fair dinkum maite. I was trackin' joeys dahn by the billabong, not playin' tunes on the one-eyed trouser-snaike.

The Aussie wrote: »
    You are wrong on the fact we got federation well before the Banana Republic ever did, and your still not a whole nation,still. Sort of like loosing your left testicles i figure, a new name has arrisen for Ireland Eddy Odd Ball.

Who's your head of state again?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Oh the knives are out now...don't stab anyone now or we'll have to ship ya back home:pac:

• Advertisement

Who's your head of state again?

Who is yours again??? at the Rugby there was a wee bloke a crutch level of Paul O'Connell giving what looked to be a odd repetitive hand shake, Paul O'Connell had a funny smile, is your head of state a former priest???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Who is yours again??? at the Rugby there was a wee bloke a crutch level of Paul O'Connell giving what looked to be a odd repetitive hand shake, Paul O'Connell had a funny smile, is your head of state a former priest???

An Aussie ignorant of affairs outside their own country...well I never:pac:

I asked you first. So tell me, who is your head of state, Mr 'The British don't have any claim on my penal colony country'?

I asked you first.

Why cant i get the sound of a 5 year old out of my head when i read that, I asked first, i asked first :D

to answer your question i think at present its Quentin Bryce who is the Australian Head of State

Why cant i get the sound of a 5 year old out of my head when i read that, I asked first, i asked first :D

Probably the sound of your own voice echoing.
    to answer your question i think at present its Quentin Bryce who is the Australian Head of State

An Aussie ignorant of affairs outside their own country AND in their own country ...well I never :pac:
    Please allow me to introduce you to this old dear:
    http://www.theage.com.au/national/live-coverage-follow-the-queens-progress-in-melbourne-20111026-1mivu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

I thought it was quite funny!

You really expect foreigners to understand Irish/UK politics?? Of course not!

It's certainly not worth making broad generalisations about all Australians based on one commentator.
    Dont point out that making broad sweeping generalizations about someone else making broad sweeping generalizations is moronic ironic, i find it funny

Gudday possums, Dame Edna here. Most of will remember me for my epic interviews on Pommy-vision, the darlings, and for my famous frocks. When I frock-up for the telly sweethearts it's simply because I'm head of state of OZland, acknowledged as such by every drongo, drover, drunk, doper and druggy for decades darlings, decades, so whoever that gay-sounding man is he'd better watch out; Katie T is a big fan of mine, she loves my dress-sense and together we will boot bottoms as those quaint former colonists say, if anyone tries to steal my title.

Toodle-oo my pets, sleep well.

... It's certainly not worth making broad generalisations about all Australians based on one commentator.
    Why not? Apart from the First Nation citizens they're a rum lot. Sports loving and sitting on a wealth of ore and minerals, they could be the next China, but with the common touch.

Please allow me to introduce you to this old dear:

I trump your old Dear with my Old Bag.
    www.gg.gov.au

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I trump your old Dear with my Old Bag.
    www.gg.gov.au

:D

No one said anything about Governor generals, he said head of state.
    Have a read of this, it might shed some light on the issue for you;)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_Australia

" As monarch of Australia, Elizabeth II also holds the position of Australia's Head of State, the highest office in the land. Many people in Australia today would like to see an Australian citizen as Head of State, acting solely in the interests of Australians. The Australian Republican Movement runs an active campaign to bring this about. Prime Minister Julia Gillard has stated her belief that Australia will one day become a republic. " LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I couldn't care less about sport. I also couldn't care less about some Australians understanding of Irish history.

The French and Germans have been subjected to far worse from the British media for years. Anytime England beat Germany in a football match you'll see headlines in the papers along the lines of "it's 1945 all over again".
    cotterman2 wrote: »
    Hey OP again, just been looking at Mark Chapman's twitter (the guy who is sitting with the idiot) and he has replied to peoples tweets regarding the comments and he agrees that they are idiotic and has vowed not to work with him again, In fairness he did try a bit to defend Ireland and I'm glad he has taken a stand, Hoorraay :D

Respect to @markchapman
    I have no respect for the man who shot John Lennon. :mad:

Well seems you want to drag WIKI (:rolleyes:) of all things into it.

"Within Australia, opinion on the matter of who should be considered head of state is diverse; Australian newspapers, ministers, constitutional scholars, and the general public are commonly inconsistent in references to either the monarch or the governor-general as the head of state. Summing up the situation "Because the Queen lives in the United Kingdom, she is represented in Australia by the Governor-General, who is in effect Australia's Head of State. Some authorities argue that the Governor-General is Australia's Head of State in every respect: others disagree."

Also

"Because of the large distance between Australia and Britain, the monarch is permitted to appoint a Governor-General who can exercise the monarch's powers in their absence.'

Meaning when Lizzy aint in town Quientin Bryce is the Head of State.
    I loved when Lizzy rocked up over here, watching you Paddys bend over 'backwards" for her, it was quaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

How many left testicles do you have? Do you have the same number of right testicles? Any centre testicles? Upper? Lower? Whatever number you have it would be best to have them loose than to lose them. G'day dropkick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I'm still laughing at "shed prefare a punch to a potato"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wow the Aussies are really out to piss us off lately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Logically and geographically he has a point, but realistacally he hasnt taken into account the fact that Ireland has spent the best part of the last hundred years trying to distance itself from the rest of these islands in as many ways as possible > this is sometimes hard for foreigners to understand when they look at a map! Yes we are nextdoor to Britain, and Yes we share a border with the UK, Yes we are mostly related to each other, and Yes Australia is mainly made up of people from these islands who are all living in one melting pot. English,Irish, Scots, Welsh, they're all the same as the Auzzies would say :)) But what the Australians don't appreciate is that the ROI is a proud Nation in its own right, it is a sovereign different political country which has deliberately seperated itself from the rest of these islands, which is nice in many ways, but not so nice when you count up the olympic medal tally.

UK=48
    IRL=0

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

aussies are the most ignorant boorish uncultured uneducated one dimensional whats the point of them arseholes ive ever met

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do not post people's twitter. Using boards as a platform to "war" on someone is juvenile and could get boards in trouble.

And as you see from the post above mine some people can't help but come up with sweeping generalisation that could be considered racist, if Aussies were a different race.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement