Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Sports Pundit Complaining Ireland are not part of TeamGB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cotterman2

Why would someone care what this guy thinks? He's one journalist or whatever he is in the world. I could be a journalist and say Australia should be part of New Zealand. It doesn't matter really.
    His stupid opinion might brush off on others and before we know it the whole of Australia becomes stupid like him, I know that's not likely but I would prefer people to think highly of Ireland instead of talking down and patronizing us which often happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ah the Barwicks.

We kicked his ancestors out of Ireland for sheep stealing molestation

Apparently he now likes inappropriatley touching kangaroos and rimming wombats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I can understand it being confusing for some people. They may think they have a vague grasp of it then they see an all ireland rugby team, a british & irish lions team playing together etc. Most wouldn't be interested enough though to give it much thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Flaming drongo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

dirty bunch of loaf robbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭markc1184

His name is ringing a bell with me! Did he say something silly about Ireland during the rugby World Cup too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Australians tend to be the most uneducated people I've ever met, and I'm from limerick...

When I was over there, they were certain Ireland was Part of England, which I had to tell them no, that we were a independent state. But there knowledge of the world was fairly scary, like not knowing the basics of the second world war...well it was more like incorrect knowledge of WWII...

Australia is a strange place, glad I've experienced it TBH, just makes me realize that we ain't got it all that bad here(a side from the jobs thing)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

None of this surprises me from them Aussies, without doubt the most ignorant and racist western nation in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

mathepac wrote: »
    This is often referred to as the antipodean interrogative, although Australians can't say words like "Protestant", "antipodean", "interrogative" and "masquerading", let alone understand them.)
    Though I love when they say words like 'serendipity'.

'Sirrendippadee'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I bet he wished NZ was part of Australia considering all the medals they've won.

http://static.stuff.co.nz/1344235888/662/7425662.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'd sit him down (and buy him a few pints) then tell lads in the bar what he said.....

Naturally all the ones going off for a job in the next couple of months...

See what he writes then. If he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Millicent wrote: »
    Flaming drongo.
    Strewth, it would make ya chunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

He's clearly taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

How can someone this thick work for ESPN ? Just another Aussie bogan , oz
    have the British flag on their flag he probably thinks he is British aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Would make more sense for Australia to join Team GB, given that their nation was created to house the overspill of British criminals.
    And considering Australia still have the British flag on their flag wouldn't it make more sense for them to compete together, not us? Mental!
    Shatstand wrote: »
    I've had a look at his Twitter, and not to beat around the bush, but he appears to be mentally retarded.

+1. I left an abusive message all the same! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That show has being running throughout the games, its only a bit of craic, I wouldn't take offence. Barwick plays up to the 'thick' Aussie stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,871 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

cotterman2 wrote: »

The reasons he gives are as follows:

1. Only half of Ireland hates the British
    2. The Irish play for the British (and Irish) Lions
    3. They also play in the Six Nations
    4. It’s like a Hawaiian surfer claiming he is not from the United States.

1. Only half of Britain hates the Germans - does this make them Nazis?
    2. Emphasis on the "and Irish" bit. As I believe they are officially called.
    3. Key words there being "six" and "nations". As in not one. Also, France and Italy play in the Six Nations as well...
    4. Politically, he is American. Culturally, the DJ is wrong.

Still, these Kiwis, eh...? :rolleyes:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

How can someone this thick work for ESPN ? Just another Aussie bogan , oz
    have the British flag on their flag he probably thinks he is British aswell.

Well as i said to Belfast born Gerard Clark when i worked with him in Cork (the langer who fell asleep while doing the Tiger Raid on the O'Donovans back around 2003 and also convicted IRA member)

"I would much Rather the English in the top corner of my Flag than the top corner of my country" :D

I still laugh about that one, langer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cotterman2

Hey OP again, just been looking at Mark Chapman's twitter (the guy who is sitting with the idiot) and he has replied to peoples tweets regarding the comments and he agrees that they are idiotic and has vowed not to work with him again, In fairness he did try a bit to defend Ireland and I'm glad he has taken a stand, Hoorraay :D

Respect to @markchapman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭MOH

mathepac wrote: »
    Australians can't say words like "Protestant", "antipodean", "interrogative" and "masquerading", let alone understand them.

Oi, mate, keep it clean. No one wants to hear about yer filthy masquerading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

He was too stupid to understand that the 6 nations argument would undermine his position even if Ireland were part of the UK. The 6 nations argument could be used to ask why Scotland doesnt have a seperate team in the Olympics if you don't understand IOC rules.

I am going to ask him tomorrow if Australia should compete as New Zealand since they only got independence from NZ a decade ago, and also is Australia the North or South Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Would make more sense for Australia to join Team GB, given that their nation was created to house the overspill of British criminals.

and irish.

He was too stupid to understand that the 6 nations argument would undermine his position even if Ireland were part of the UK. The 6 nations argument could be used to ask why Scotland doesnt have a seperate team in the Olympics if you don't understand IOC rules.

I am going to ask him tomorrow if Austrakia should compete as New Zealans since they only got independence from NZ a decade ago, and also is Australia the North or South Island?

Don't forget to ask him if Tasmania is part of the commonwealth or has full indenpendence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lads its a bit of light entertainment, stop taking it so seriously. Half the world thinks we're still part of Britain anyway.

The Aussie wrote: »
    Well as i said to Belfast born Gerard Clark when i worked with him in Cork (the langer who fell asleep while doing the Tiger Raid on the O'Donovans back around 2003 and also convicted IRA member)

"I would much Rather the English in the top corner of my Flag than the top corner of my country" :D

I still laugh about that one, langer.

Except most aussie's have english/irish heritage due to colonisation unless your indiginous.Unlike the irish..England only got one tiny bit of our country they got all of your's so your statement is historically wrong.Our heritage is deeper better and more rounded then any aussie just look at j.f.k,barack obama,muhammed ali and che guevara all have irish blood and history.Biggest hypocrite's of all ye aussie's.Only good thing ye done for the brit's was send men out to die at el alamein.keep fighting that good fight for the british it will get you places!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

and irish.

Not at that point in history they weren't. It wasn't Dev sending them to Van Diemen's Land, was it?

Lads its a bit of light entertainment, stop taking it so seriously. Half the world thinks we're still part of Britain anyway.

Troll's gotta troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

None of this surprises me from them Aussies, without doubt the most ignorant and racist western nation in the world.

Goodman Jonjo, counter his stupidity with your wisdom.

Not at that point in history they weren't. It wasn't Dev sending them to Van Diemen's Land, was it?

Following the American War of Independence a new destination was sought for the transportation of convicts from Britain and Ireland 'beyond the seas'. On 13 May 1787 the first fleet, bound for Sydney Cove with a complement of convicts, sailed from Portsmouth in England. Its arrival on 26 January 1788 marks the foundation of the colony of New South Wales. The first ship to sail directly from Ireland carrying convicts under sentence of transportation was the Queen, which arrived in Port Jackson on 26 September 1791. Your talking about this point in history yes? De valera wasnt even born i may be young but im not stupid and know my history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 iquitalready

Spot on. Not meant to be taken seriously and as someone else here has alluded to, it's probably a persona he's playing up to. It's certainly not worth making broad generalisations about all Australians based on one commentator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement