Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin v Laois : MD MacAuley Goal or Own goal?

• 04-08-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭

Placed a substantial bet on Paddypower for MacAuley to score over 0.5 points @ 1/2 (goal = 3 points) but they've settled it as a losing bet and won't discuss the matter saying it was an own goal.

Was it a definite own goal or do I have right to feel aggrieved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Think so I'm afraid, if it was a MacAuley goal it wouldn't have been given as you can't score a goal from a handpass.

Think Paddy is right in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I thought that too when I was watching it but on RTE and the official GAA website and everywhere I've looked it has been given as a MacAuley goal so where are Paddypower getting their own goal idea from? :/

http://gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/0408121338-dublin-v-laois/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Placed a substantial bet on Paddypower for MacAuley to score over 0.5 points @ 1/2 (goal = 3 points) but they've settled it as a losing bet and won't discuss the matter saying it was an own goal.

Was it a definite own goal or do I have right to feel aggrieved?

It was a definite own goal. If MacAuley had scored it directly it would (or should...) have been disallowed. He's claiming it on Twitter and the RTE website have it as him though, but that is because they'll never award an OG in GAA.

Get onto them on live chat with the links then, I know sometimes they have their own settlement rules but you might have a chance if you go to them with the official results (of course that might not satisfy them, remember the golden boot fiasco at the euros)

Yeah I'm trying on live chat but they're having none of it... There can be own goals though, they're just rare. Look at this wikipedia example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Byrne_Cup_2009#Final

Paddy Andrews registers an own goal in the 2009 O Byrne cup final.

Compare this to MacAuley's goal that has been awarded to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship_2012
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2012/0804/332111-nervy-dublin/

I'm quite annoyed to be honest...

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm trying on live chat but they're having none of it... There can be own goals though, they're just rare. Look at this wikipedia example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Byrne_Cup_2009#Final

Paddy Andrews registers an own goal in the 2009 O Byrne cup final.

Compare this to MacAuley's goal that has been awarded to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship_2012
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2012/0804/332111-nervy-dublin/

I'm quite annoyed to be honest...

Try again in the morning mate, anybody who can do anything for you surely won't be low enough to have to work the Saturday night shift

Cheers for the help lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

own goal. end of.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 michelsardou

I got payed today for the first goalscorer bet but the girl at the desk seemed unsure and said they weren't paying out yesterday

Howjoe1 .. How is it an own goal if it has been officially given to MacAuley as his goal?

Michelsardou .. Seriously? Can't understand how they still will not pay me? I think it's disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 michelsardou

yeah, I think its a major grey area in G.A.A and tbh I was going more in hope than anything else

Well if the goal has been officially given to him by the gaa then I can't see how Paddpower can say otherwise. There have been examples of players registering own goals but this wasn't one of them.

I'm going to keep pestering them on live chat anyway. One of their guys actually said to me there ''It is still being settled as an own goal and we are only paying out on MacAuley scoring the second goal''

I replied ''Sure there was only one goal in the game?''

And he didn't reply for a solid 5 mins but followed it up with ''I'm going to pass you on to a senior agent''

Their incompetence boggles the mind :o

I think you need to get on the phone to them, seems live chat are being more than the usual useless

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Decmcd

Well if the goal has been officially given to him by the gaa then I can't see how Paddpower can say otherwise. There have been examples of players registering own goals but this wasn't one of them.

I'm going to keep pestering them on live chat anyway. One of their guys actually said to me there ''It is still being settled as an own goal and we are only paying out on MacAuley scoring the second goal''

And he didn't reply for a solid 5 mins but followed it up with ''I'm going to pass you on to a senior agent''

Hi mate in the same boat as you I had him 1st goal if you look at the cork game today the first goal was awarded a john Doyle og how come the same was not done for the goal yesterday ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Bets taken on first/last goalscorer will be void if that player does not take part in the game or if he comes on after the first goal is scored. This includes singles and each way bets. Bets on last goalscorer will be void if that player does not take part in the game or does not come on as a substitute. In the event of a dispute over the award of a goal for first/last goalscorer or scorer special purposes, settlement will be in accordance with the result given by GAA within 48 hours of the final whistle. Any subsequent changes to the result will be ignored for settlement purposes. Own goals do not count for settlement of first/last goalscorer bets.

PP rules on their site ^^

link https://support.paddypower.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/kw/gaa%20rules

Looks like you should be paid out.

Thanks for that pal my bet was wit Tom floods tho they said they weren't paying out because no one else was I will try again tomo anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Decmcd wrote: »
    Thanks for that pal my bet was wit Tom floods tho they said they weren't paying out because no one else was I will try again tomo anyway

I'd try to find Tom Floods rules on it or wait untill PP pay out which going by those rules they should.
    You'd have a better case going back in saying PP are paying out on him.

Hi mate in the same boat as you I had him 1st goal if you look at the cork game today the first goal was awarded a john Doyle og how come the same was not done for the goal yesterday ???
    Ps check out the tag just sent by robbie1977 on the next page from paddy powers rules on bets quote that to who you are dealing wit in powers and let me know how u get on thanks

robbie1977 wrote: »

I'd try to find Tom Floods rules on it or wait untill PP pay out which going by those rules they should.
    You'd have a better case going back in saying PP are paying out on him.
    Thanks again mate looks like we have a solid case here hopefully we will get paid !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

they weren't paying out because no one else was

If ever I saw a kop out, that was it.
    Surely they have their own rules and shouldn't be thinking about other bookie decisions?

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »
    they weren't paying out because no one else was

If ever I saw a kop out, that was it.
    Surely they have their own rules and shouldn't be thinking about other bookie decisions?
    Went up to floods head office today and showed the paddy powers rules on the gaa after a few minutes the lady agreed to pay me happy days!!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Result!

Well done on getting your money mate! Can't let the bookies away with stuff like this. Paddypower still not paying me but I'll continue to annoy their heads online and on the phone until they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Well done on getting your money mate! Can't let the bookies away with stuff like this. Paddypower still not paying me but I'll continue to annoy their heads online and on the phone until they do.

doubt that you will get paid as the bet is settled correctly. but PP did pay out on the goalscorer market as a good will gesture. dont think they will screw themselves over twice

Advertisement