Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Asus ROG Summer Tournament

• 02-08-2012 12:25pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just after starting - hosted by 2gd and iNControl and casted by Apollo and TLO.

http://www.twitch.tv/thegdstudio

First match is Nama v Huk which should be interesting. I'm in work, would love to spend the rest of the day watching it :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Would love to watch this, trés busy :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Didn't get to see a huge amount of this yesterday, but I did see NightEnd 3-0 Puma in a pretty solid way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

some of the games were great

idra should have taken taeja but the patch 1.5 introduced a bug that ****ed him up in the late game, still a huge difference from the last time they played when taeja just 4-0'd him .. iirc idra ended up just sixpooling the last 2 games

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Been in work so ive missed most of it so far.

However suggesting that Idra can beat any korean of note.... Highly unlikely. If it wasnt a myster bug, it would be OMG OP TERRAN/PROTOSS units, or merely the wind changing direction.

I used to have very little time for him, but ever since his vile performance on SOTG, I've come to realise hes an overrated horrible joke of a player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Dustaz wrote: »

However suggesting that Idra can beat any korean of note.... Highly unlikely. If it wasnt a myster bug, it would be OMG OP TERRAN/PROTOSS units, or merely the wind changing direction.

I used to have very little time for him, but ever since his vile performance on SOTG, I've come to realise hes an overrated horrible joke of a player.

Broodwar was mostly just mechanics. It was a bit brainless. The player with the best mechanics won 9/10 times. While sc2 has alot of automation so it's more about decisions and positioning....so a "weaker" player can beat a stronger one.

Idra will scout once, see no gas and won't scout for the rest of the game on his stream and then get rolled by a push ten minutes in and just calls his opponent "bad". No greg, he tricked you. Your APM may be higher but he is smarter.

This is why Idra struggles in sc2 and if anybody ever asks him about which he prefers, he pines for broodwar constantly and calls it the better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Kirby wrote: »
    Dustaz wrote: »

Broodwar was mostly just mechanics. It was a bit brainless. The player with the best mechanics won 9/10 times. While sc2 has alot of automation so it's more about decisions and positioning....so a "weaker" player can beat a stronger one.

Idra will scout once, see no gas and won't scout for the rest of the game on his stream and then get rolled by a push ten minutes in and just calls his opponent "bad". No greg, he tricked you. Your APM may be higher but he is smarter.

This is why Idra struggles in sc2 and if anybody ever asks him about which he prefers, he pines for broodwar constantly and calls it the better game.
    Yep. At least he whines less about balance now that players like Stephano have put him in his place regarding the state of Zerg.

To be fair, he stopped whining when the queens got the range buff. I mean he's a bad player by pro standards but that doesn't mean everything he said was wrong. It was retarded that every terran could just open blind hellion every game. It's why terrans were dominating for so long on the pro scene. The queens needed that range buff.

To be fair, he stopped whining when the queens got the range buff. I mean he's a bad player by pro standards but that doesn't mean everything he said was wrong. It was retarded that every terran could just open blind hellion every game. It's why terrans were dominating for so long on the pro scene. The queens needed that range buff.
    Stephano's build actually incorporated the best anti-Hellion build IMHO. He dropped a Roach Warren around 5.30 (I think). And got 4 Roaches to push off Hellions. He could suddenly do a Roach/Bane or a Roach/Speedling all-in, or put down a third, and many other variations thereof. Very powerful ZvT play.

I do agree, however, that blind Hellions every game was a bit ridiculous.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Stephano's build actually incorporated the best anti-Hellion build IMHO. He dropped a Roach Warren around 5.30 (I think). And got 4 Roaches to push off Hellions. He could suddenly do a Roach/Bane or a Roach/Speedling all-in, or put down a third, and many other variations thereof. Very powerful ZvT play.

You can't hold a hellion attack 2 bases with just 4 roaches, nevermind 3 bases which is what the zerg needs. The hellions will just run by them and kill all your drones. You need atleast a dozen. And you need them out before 7 minutes which means if he goes for a marine tank push and you only have roaches, you die.

It was a very, very tricky position for zerg to be in and Terran had total control over the match because of it. The queen buff stopped that. Terran can still go hellion, but it can be stopped properly now.

Out of all the balance changes made since the beta, this one impressed me the most. It sounded so simple but accomplished so much.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

It sounded so simple but accomplished so much.

well you're not wrong there

UBrQf.png

Bit misleading. Terrans were just doing the same failed builds over and over even months after the patch instead of changing them. Most have copped on recently.

The last GSL final was fought between two protoss. Zerg aren't OP, they were just underpowered before. The game is balanced. Adaptable terrans have no problem winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

HOS will be out soon, the game will change a lot I reckon .
    New strategies everywhere. Though I doubt the early game will differ too much

Gumbi wrote: »

You can't hold a hellion attack 2 bases with just 4 roaches, nevermind 3 bases which is what the zerg needs. The hellions will just run by them and kill all your drones. You need atleast a dozen. And you need them out before 7 minutes which means if he goes for a marine tank push and you only have roaches, you die.

It was a very, very tricky position for zerg to be in and Terran had total control over the match because of it. The queen buff stopped that. Terran can still go hellion, but it can be stopped properly now.

Out of all the balance changes made since the beta, this one impressed me the most. It sounded so simple but accomplished so much.
    What? I'm not saying the Queen buff was unnecessary, just that Stephano had a good solution to it. Those Roaches are to push off pressure Hellions. A full on attack is countered by sim-city, Queens, a Spine, and some Lings. Not 12 Roaches....

Bit misleading. Terrans were just doing the same failed builds over and over even months after the patch instead of changing them. Most have copped on recently.

The last GSL final was fought between two protoss. Zerg aren't OP, they were just underpowered before. The game is balanced. Adaptable terrans have no problem winning.
    Not necessarily under-powered, but more limited in the early game.

Advertisement