Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salute! 2012

• 01-08-2012 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a reminder about this year's Salute! show - 25th & 26th August.
    Most of the regulars around here will have been to previous shows and know what to expect, the good news is we are back in Swords this year, which means we have the return of our driving arena, one of the only places in Ireland you can see a Chieftain main battle tank be put through it's paces.

Salute! 2012 returns to The National Show Centre in Swords.

See all of your favourite Vehicle and Living History displays and the return of our vehicle driving arena.

Nowhere else in Ireland can you see the 63 Ton Chieftain show off it’s driving abilities!

We’ll also have other armoured vehicles including the 432 APC and 434 Engineer’s vehicle. Fox armoured car, Jeeps, Trucks, Land Rovers and more!

Salute2012v2web.jpg

Edit:
    Ticket Prices:
    Adult:€8
    Child: €5
    Family: €20 (2 Adults, 2 Children)

Opening hours:
    10am to 6pm on both Saturday and Sunday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Its definitely a good show if you havn't been, although there has been a noticeable, noticeable drop in the amount of goods on sale, in terms of quality, and pricing.

First two times I went I came away with some seriously good stuff at a bargain price, as did loads of others. But in the last two years I was a little dissapointed, but I guess its not the main purpose of the event, although its really the only interest from me withan airsoft perspective.

Last year the only stuff I bought was from The Camo-Shop, to which I could have bought any day of the week.

The other vested interest I had was in a M1 VN helmet, that was very clearly fake, but the guy insisted was real and wanted €180 bucks for it...

I'm sure I'll end up wandering down anyway.

Any info on what sort of spectacles and live action stuff will be going down?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

It's a pity you didn't get what you were looking for at the show last year, I've noticed that myself at other shows too though, the amount of traders is down slightly and the amount of cheap surplus available is nowhere near what it used to be. To be honest, even at War & Peace this year (largest military vehicle show in the world), there was nowhere near as much kit available.

The schedule for the show is not set in stone as we have to be flexible to allow for equipment malfunctions and/or vehicle breakdowns, but we will have 4 main activities in the arenas;

Driving Arena - Armoured/Tracked vehicle displays (Chieftain, 432, 434, Fox, OT64 etc...)
    Driving Arena - Soft skinned vehicle displays (Land Rovers, Jeeps, light vehicles)

Battle Arena - Informational displays (Informational talks from re-enactors of differing eras, e.g. Vikings, Romans etc...)
    Battle Arena - Battle re-enactments (Live battle re-enactments with blank firing and pyrotechnics)

There will be ongoing events in the arenas throughout the day, a Schedule of events will be available closer to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Netanya

To be in with a chance to win a family ticket to Salute! go to the Salute! Photo Contest Page and post your pictures of previous years shows. You can also vote on other attendee's pictures and let us know who you think should win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

moved to events. although strictly not an airsoft event, this sub forum is the traditional home for this type of event.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

I think I ask this every year:

Is there a student discount? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

KonFusion wrote: »

****ing students....

We do our best to keep the ticket prices low for everyone. We haven't listed a student price this year, but as a full adult ticket is only €8 we hope this wont be off putting for any students or those on reduced incomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

To be honest, I think the price is fair. If I went too the cinema, I would pay that, or more just for the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Deus vult

I go this nearly every year , always a great day out . Can't wait for this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I love buying the army socks, however sad that sounds, they are worth the trip, so comfy.

That and the tanks, sure why not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

swiftblade wrote: »
    To be honest, I think the price is fair. If I went too the cinema, I would pay that, or more just for the ticket.

ah yeah, the prices are fair. just asking because I'm a cheap bas***d, and it'll be my first year going as a member of the public :pac:

It's well worth 8 quid. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭darren ff

Should be great .

Hi All,

I think I mentioned above that adult tickets are €8, however just so you know, ticket prices for this year's show are as follows;

Adult: €8

Child: €5

Family: €20 (2 Adults, 2 Children)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Any student rates? :D

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Any student rates? :D
    kdouglas wrote: »

We do our best to keep the ticket prices low for everyone. We haven't listed a student price this year, but as a full adult ticket is only €8 we hope this wont be off putting for any students or those on reduced incomes.

As above :)

Hi All,

Since the typical Irish summer has been a little worse than usual this year, we now have a large section of Salute! indoors. Wind, Rain or Snow (it's possible :) ), the show will go on.

Just a little over a week now, looking forward to seeing you there.

ricka wrote: »
    Hi, what are the opening hours

Seems I forgot to post this above, we're open from 10 to 6 on both Saturday and Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭b318isp

Is there a time for the tank demonstrations? I wouldn't want to miss those!

b318isp wrote: »
    Is there a time for the tank demonstrations? I wouldn't want to miss those!

Due to the nature of the show and the unpredictable weather, we will only have firm times for the vehicle demonstrations and battle re-enactments late Friday or early Saturday, but we will have a sign at the entrance to the indoor area with the schedule and there will be announcements over the PA during the day.

There will be several displays at various times throughout the day so if you are there for a few hours you should get in at least one or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

At Salute this morning....much smaller than last year I'd say it's more than halve the amount of stalls...no bargains to be had at all.
    Verdict: dissapointing!

Not worth the money to be honest!

Bren

Still early, there's more vehicles and displays arriving as I write.

Cant say much about the bargains on the stalls though, haven't had a chance to look around yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

kdouglas wrote: »
    Still early, there's more vehicles and displays arriving as I write.

Cant say much about the bargains on the stalls though, haven't had a chance to look around yet.

That's not saying much for the organisers if some of the attractions are still on their way. What about the guy above who paid in, did he get half price as only half the attractions were there? Will he be offered a refund? I was going to go tomorrow with my kids but I'll give it a miss now.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Keith I understand you have your hands full but shouldn't you have all displays and vehicles in place before you open the doors and charge people €8.00 each into what takes less than 30 minutes to walk around and see everything!

From an Airsofters point of view there is Hobby, the Camo shop, IAA and red barn have a shooting range....and that's pretty much it! Two or 3 stalls selling old Camo and a few vehicles!

Last year wasn't to bad but it had less than the year before that....but this year it's very very poor.

Sorry to hear you feel that way.

As regards people setting up displays, we do our best and the bulk of the setup begins on Wednesday. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee arrival times of other groups who also attend the show, and there is always the risk of breakdown with any older vehicle.

Salute! Is not primarily an Airsoft show, so considering this fact, there is a considerable amount of Airsoft on display. While your main interest may not be the "old vehicles", Salute is primarily a vehicle and re-enactment display.

That's not saying much for the organisers if some of the attractions are still on their way. What about the guy above who paid in, did he get half price as only half the attractions were there? Will he be offered a refund? I was going to go tomorrow with my kids but I'll give it a miss now.

As above, we do our best to have the displays available to everyone, but can't guarantee the arrival of other groups.

If anyone is unhappy with the show and feels they did not get value for money, I am more than happy to speak to them directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I relented and went anyway despite what I'd heard on here and from my brother about the lack of exhibits. The one good day of weather helped and my kids enjoyed the cannon firing (noisy as hell) and the "battle" between the Germans and the Yanks. They especially liked the bouncy slides:rolleyes:. They were disappointed they couldn't get into the tank which didn't move in the three hours I was there, although I'm not sure if it was meant to move anyway or was just a static exhibit.

Some of the exhibits like the firearms could have been accompanied by some information about them, ie manufacturer, rate of fire etc. They were just chained to a table while the "exhibitors" were texting on their mobiles or flirting with each other. The Redbarn tent with the target shooting was a high point though and at €3, reasonable for a chance to fire an aeg and to win prize. The staff there were very friendly too. Same for the Airsoftguns.ie staff who let even my young kids hold their brand new aeg's and try on helmets without being asked. The camo shop and airsofthobby were sharing a tent and it got a little crowded and claustrophobic. Pity as I was looking for a multicam shirt and a sight for my M4 but I didn't fancy trying to have a good look while keeping track of my kids in there. From what I could gather, the prices were what you'd pay in the shop anyway so no discounts to be had.

Overall I thought it wasn't really worth the admission price tbh.

I relented and went anyway despite what I'd heard on here and from my brother about the lack of exhibits. The one good day of weather helped and my kids enjoyed the cannon firing (noisy as hell) and the "battle" between the Germans and the Yanks. They especially liked the bouncy slides:rolleyes:. They were disappointed they couldn't get into the tank which didn't move in the three hours I was there, although I'm not sure if it was meant to move anyway or was just a static exhibit.

Glad you enjoyed the battle, it's really the kids who get a lot of enjoyment out of the shows and we really love seeing them have fun.

Regarding the tank, the scheduled armour driving display was at 3pm which was on the chalkboard schedule at the entrance and also posted on facebook. It was unfortunate you missed the display as it is a real crowd pleaser. We would love to have more driving displays happening throughout the day, however with the battle re-enactments and other displays also happening we couldn't fit it into the schedule.

We are also unable to allow members of the public to climb in and out of vehicles unsupervised as those who are unfamiliar with the vehicles may endanger themselves by doing so. It's also worth recognising that these are all privately owned vehicles, it's a lot of work for us to keep them in running order and it takes a lot of our free time to acquire parts and restore vehicles. Hundreds of people climbing in/out/over them all day would inevitably result in costly and time consuming repair work and simply make it impossible for us to put on shows like this.

Some of the exhibits like the firearms could have been accompanied by some information about them, ie manufacturer, rate of fire etc. They were just chained to a table while the "exhibitors" were texting on their mobiles or flirting with each other. The Redbarn tent with the target shooting was a high point though and at €3, reasonable for a chance to fire an aeg and to win prize. The staff there were very friendly too. Same for the Airsoftguns.ie staff who let even my young kids hold their brand new aeg's and try on helmets without being asked. The camo shop and airsofthobby were sharing a tent and it got a little crowded and claustrophobic. Pity as I was looking for a multicam shirt and a sight for my M4 but I didn't fancy trying to have a good look while keeping track of my kids in there. From what I could gather, the prices were what you'd pay in the shop anyway so no discounts to be had.

Overall I thought it wasn't really worth the admission price tbh.

The firearms displays are normally manned by people who know enough about the guns to talk to the public about them and give information, I wasn't involved in that display over the weekend so don't know who was actually manning it at various times throughout the weekend, however I do know there were people assigned to that task who definitely knew there stuff. I am disappointed there was not better interaction happening at the time you visited that display and will definitely look at getting more information displays available in the future. (We generally do have this kind of information at the vehicle displays, however the gun displays are normally a more interactive display)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭shytan

I brought my 15 yearold and he enjoyed himself[and cost me a packet]The visit was made more enjoyable as we know quite a few people on the firearms and re-inactment displays.Fun afternoon was had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

The camo shop and airsofthobby were sharing a tent and it got a little crowded and claustrophobic. Pity as I was looking for a multicam shirt and a sight for my M4 but I didn't fancy trying to have a good look while keeping track of my kids in there. From what I could gather, the prices were what you'd pay in the shop anyway so no discounts to be had.

Yes there's no doubt our tent was ridiculously busy and our proximity to the events area meant everytime a renactment finished,everyone came at once to our tent which did lead to overcrowding.
    Just to correct you on one point, the Camo shop was offering 10% discount on most of its inshow items and we were offering up to 30% discount on spring pistols,10% on all gas and co2 pistols and our .2g and .25g KA BB's were €10.We also rounded down all other prices to allow for not giving out change, so there were indeed some bargains

Advertisement