Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

C+H Thread of Olympic-y Goodness

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    Olympic Handball actually looks like an incredibly fun game to play.

It is! We used to play it in P.E. in 6th Class in primary school. Got to play it a bit again in P.E. lectures/classes in college and it was just as much fun then as it was when I was a kid. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Watching the men's team gymnastics here too. Full of drama! Poor Japan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Judges Decision

Japan up to silver, GB in bronze, still a great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

It's emotional watching this stuff, I feel so bad for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Something weird going on in a fencing competition right now? Just tuned in, but one of the athletes is sitting on the stage thing seemingly in some sort of protest hoping to dispute a decision, I think? But it just seems pretty strange?

Ah!
    A dramatic ending to the semi-finals of the women's fencing tournament has led to a severe delay to the competition's medal stages.

With the match between Lam Shin of South Korea and Britta Heidmann of Germany deadlocked at 5-5 a late move by the German to win the contest remained under dispute.

The Koreans insisted that the point was won after the end of the match, resulting in a considerable period of consultation from the judges.

After around 30 minutes the judges returned and agreed with the referee's decision to award Heidmann the victory, resulting in a formal written appeal from the Korean coach.

An emotional Lam Shin refused to leave the arena because doing so would be an acceptance of the decision of the tournament's technical directors.

The result remains under scrutiny as the judges consider the Koreans' written appeal.

Sucks :(

640x480_alamshin_20120730.jpg

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/fencing/korea/olympics/news/defeated-korean-fencer-refuses-to-leave-arena_37131.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I thought I was going to miss all the good events on Saturday but turns out I'll be home in time! :D

Off Thursday too for the kayaking :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Whats the story with the medals thing with UK and Ukraine and co?
    What happened?

deise_girl wrote: »
    Whats the story with the medals thing with UK and Ukraine and co?
    What happened?
    1. China
    2. Japan
    3. GB
    4. Ukraine

decisions wrote: »
    1. China
    2. Japan
    3. GB
    4. Ukraine

But like.. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

The judges thought a wonky dismount was a fall and he lost points for it but when they reviewed it he got them back and changed the rankings pushing GB to third and Ukraine to fourth.

• Advertisement

1. China
    2. Japan
    3. GB
    4. Ukraine

But like.. Why?

Japan were docked marks they shouldn't have been and gained a few marks in the appeal bringing them back into silver.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Felt so sorry for the Ukraine lads ! Dunno whether anyone saw the coverage on bbc 3 but Australia hit an amazing shot to tie the basketball this evening !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I've been glued to it this year, which is weird, because I usually don't watch much of the Olympics at all.

I missed the gymnastics today because I was working! :( Love watching the swimming though, Ryan Lochte is absolutely amazing :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Just watched the gymnastics on BBC, the commentator was like 'No ifs, buts or maybes, Britain have the silver medal' then like 30 seconds later 'Er, we now have the bronze medal'. Lawds.

Getting up early to watch them before work, why am I still awake D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Badminton's a darn good game but this commentator sounds like a spotty fifteen year old whose voice is about to break.

A Murphry makes it 4 from 4 in the Women's Laser Radial.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

A Murphry makes it 4 from 4 in the Women's Laser Radial.

Seriously?!?!?! Fooking hell! Any so she's 8 points now, any idea how many the girl in 2nd has?

Chloe Magee seems to have put up a fierce battle against her French opponent, only losing to the world number 2 - 16-21, 21-18, 21-14.

Been watching nothing but archery today. Quickly becoming my favourite sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Seriously?!?!?! Fooking hell! Any so she's 8 points now, any idea how many the girl in 2nd has?

Chloe Magee seems to have put up a fierce battle against her French opponent, only losing to the world number 2 - 16-21, 21-18, 21-14.

Been watching nothing but archery today. Quickly becoming my favourite sport.

She actually has 4 points. 4x1 points.

Belgium are second with 16.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

flyswatter wrote: »
    She actually has 4 points. 4x1 points.

Belgium are second with 16.

Ah cool. :)

Hope she can keep it going now, RTE might actually start covering the sailing if she does. :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Ah cool. :)

Hope she can keep it going now, RTE might actually start covering the sailing if she does. :P
    Wouldn't count on it. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I don't think people realize how mentally and physically challenging the Olympic gymnastics is. I can only imagine how hard they work for it and they're all so ridiculously young. Really enjoying it thought, been some incredible performances especially USA who have had a pretty solid run.

Grainne Murphy has dropped out of the 800M Freestyle. A shame, but probably the best thing for her. Clearly below her best and is probably still recovering from the illness she suffered at the start of the year. No sense in her competing just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Phelps, what a guy, I was really disappointed at first that he didn't take gold in the 200m Butterfly (although the guy that did was ridiculously cute, d'awww like), but still, 19 medals is 19 medals. What a guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Anyone watching the Basketball?

USA could probably pick 4 or 5 different squads and they'd all be ridiculously good. Pleasure to watch.

2dbb8823fac54b189f06547940f7f854.jpg

Didn't look at the results before catching up on the swimming, I was DEAD. Never thought I'd be cheering for the USA in anything really but the relay was unbelievable and Phelps deserves his ridiculous amount of medals. Also Lochte has two golds now <3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

It's really good watching these olympics sports. The artistic gymnastics looks really good but hard, how do they do it.

I'm so happy for Michael Phelps winning his 19th medal :) it was so close at the end. Happy for Lo Close that won it was good to watch. I really want Phelps to win the gold medal in the 100m butterfly and as he's retiring after the olympics.

tbh I'm going to try to get up for the swimming at ten, go back to bed until like two then watch about four hours of everything else tomorrow night. Damn you awkward working hours

Where does one find what Irish olympians are competing today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Where does one find what Irish olympians are competing today?

http://www.london2012.com/country/ireland/

London 2012 website is actually really good! You can get info on all the events, athlete profiles, the schedules and stuff like that! :)

Advertisement