Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals

1373839404143»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This story won't go away and will taint any possible success as it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth...

For you.

For me he did nothing against any rules in previous competitions. If you think its immoral, then thats your thing. Your 'scrambling for technicalities' line is off too. It was against the rules, or it wasn't.

And you can't argue he did anything wrong in London, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Anyway, Dodge and Silvio, it's good to know you're still here. Such was the emptiness of this thread for the last few days, I thought you were all in London, and I was left all alone to mind the house!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Dodge wrote: »
    For you.

Yep. What is it with Irish medal winners since 1996 (boxers excepted). There has to be a big bloody cloud over them...:( I know I'm jumping the gun re O'Leary but still...

feargale wrote: »
    Anyway, Dodge and Silvio, it's good to know you're still here. Such was the emptiness of this thread for the last few days, I thought you were all in London, and I was left all alone to mind the house!

I wish...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

This forum is a hive of activity over the last 2 days....hundreds of posts in the various Olympic threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dodge wrote: »
    For you.

For me he did nothing against any rules in previous competitions. If you think its immoral, then thats your thing. Your 'scrambling for technicalities' line is off too. It was against the rules, or it wasn't.

And you can't argue he did anything wrong in London, can you?

Exactly, nothing against the rules was done IF he did do it, this is all just a distraction, a very suspicous distraction which im guessing is coming from another camp and the person making the allegations still has yet to provide any proof whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hey all. Whats the web address for the filmon site mentioned here yesterday? want to stream Bbc1 coverage in work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

INTERNATIONAL Olympics chiefs are now investigating the allegations of a betting scandal in the Irish squad.

It follows yesterday's statement from sources close to sailor Peter O'Leary that he had bet on a rival in a race in the Beijing Olympics -- but described it as a "naive mistake".

Mr O'Leary yesterday refused to answer questions in person about allegations of illegal betting that have cast such a cloud over the Irish team this week in the wake of revelations by the Irish Independent.

Solicitors acting on Mr O'Leary's behalf have rejected the claims, suggesting they were made "to cause the maximum negative impact" on the sailor.

The ethics watchdog of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) -- the umbrella body for the Games -- last night confirmed it was investigating the case.

It is alleged that Mr O'Leary placed two bets on an opponent he was competing directly against at the 2008 Games, both successful at 12/1.

The bets of €41 and €259 were made through his personal account with a legal bookmaker and brought a winning return of close to €4,000.

The IOC specifically introduced a rule for Beijing outlawing Olympic competitors betting against themselves in competition.

The Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI) issued a statement yesterday revealing that they had requested "a full disclosure of documentation from the person making the allegation so that the allegation can be investigated in a fair and proper manner".

The revelation came after Mr O'Leary and his crewman David Burrows had a successful first day in the water, leaving them second overall in the Star class.

Hooded, and eyes hidden behind sunglasses, Mr O'Leary swept through the 'mixed zone' staring at his feet, with sailing's High Performance Manager, James O'Callaghan, by his side.

When asked why Mr O'Leary would not be stopping, he said "no reason". Competitors are compelled to walk through mixed zones, but have no obligation to stop and talk to media.

Mr O'Leary and Mr Burrows are strongly fancied to win Ireland's first sailing medal since David Wilkins and James Wilkinson took silver in Moscow 32 years ago.

Some sources close to Mr O'Leary, preferring not to be named, issued a statement in support of the Corkman yesterday, describing his bets in Beijing as "a naive mistake".

Describing Mr O'Leary as "a rookie" at those Games, they "said he was not competing in the medal race so he was not in a position to influence the result".

Furthermore, the statement suggested that Olympic rules on betting changed "about a year ago" and that, at the time, Mr O'Leary was not breaking any rules.

However, to compete in Beijing, all competitors had to sign a declaration that specifically outlaws betting on events in which you are competing.

A spokesman for the OCI refused to comment on the statements by sources close to Mr O'Leary. However, the spokesman denied claims that the rules governing athletes making bets had only been changed a year ago. "They came in at Beijing and continue to this day," he said.

The OCI's code of ethics prohibits participating athletes from betting on Olympic events and anyone found to be in violation of this rule can be either temporarily or permanently excluded from the Games.

The person against whom allegations have been made has the right to details of the claims and to appear before a disciplinary commission or to submit a defence in writing.

Meanwhile, Mr O'Leary has received a total of €128,621 in grant funding from the Irish Sports Council since 2001. A spokesman for the council said Mr O'Leary was an outstanding sportsman and had received a number of high-performance grants in recent years.

However, he refused to say if current or future funding could be in doubt if Mr O'Leary was found to have breached any Olympic rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

This forum is a hive of activity over the last 2 days....hundreds of posts in the various Olympic threads.[/Quote]
    I've found Dan's diary thread. I believe Dodge has another new thread, but I can't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

This forum is a hive of activity over the last 2 days....hundreds of posts in the various Olympic threads.
    I've found Dan's diary thread. I believe Dodge has another new thread, but I can't find it.

All the important threads are on the homepage of the sports forum, found here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement