Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HISTORY LEAVING CERT PROJECT. HELP?

• 15-07-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello all, I am a student going in to sixth year in 6 weeks. I've chosen the topic for my history project ( Malcolm X ) and am looking for any tips or advice on how to go about writing up my project. Every bit of advice available is much appreciated! Please advise on things like, how to go about writing the project, what is a must-do or what should I avoid, what examiners will like/dislike, etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Chief Examiner likes and has asked for local, specific topics and lots of primary sources.

If you are set on Malcolm X, choose some specific aspect of his influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

This is the booklet the RSR is written into. It provides plenty of information on how to start and write the essay, outline plans etc.

http://www.examinations.ie/exam/RSR_Booklet_Practice.pdf

MalcomX, Beethoven, Hitler...touring wrote a biography. You take an aspect from their life and write about it, for example...Beethovens' role in the beginning of the Romantic (music) period, Hitlers' influence on... Parnells contribution to the HR party... Etc

Read through that and ask me any questions after if anything is unclear

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lavidabonita

I would have to say seriously, don't think about it too much. I just did the leaving cert and I'm hoping for an A in history. I couldn't decide what to do for my topic for aaaages!I only started it properly in February! When you start to write your essay, just do it! By that I mean don't treat this essay as something unknown and daunting. It is going to be a 4/5 page essay just like every history essay you do, nothing unusual!I actually wrote mine in 1 night, ok after that I rewrote it and got some tips from my teacher but the essay itself(once you have your research completed) is fine!This is your chance to choose your own topic and something you are really interested in and write about it. So just enjoy it! It really is a lot easier than you think!I worried about it sooo much over the past 2 years,changing my mind constantly and at the end of the day it is not hugely different to any other essay. One thing hugely important however is that you don't go waaaaaay over the word count. The whole point of the project is that you can decipher important, useful and factual information!
    Woah, sorry this is so long! But good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 katierab

I did higher level history this year for my leaving cert and my project was about Karl Brandt and Euthanasia.

I found getting my sources read over the Summer was a HUGE help as I wasn't stressing about it when I got back.

I recommend taking notes and gathering as much information as you can over the summer. Even if it's only 20mins a week it will make a huge difference!! :)

Also make sure and do loads of drafts of your project and get your teacher to correct and grad it each time. This will give you the best opportunity of scoring high. And don't forget to save all your work whether it be hand written or typed!

Have an interest in what the project topic is and you'll have no problems writing it then.

Hope this helps and good luck next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FeatheryWoman

My teacher always said it's good to have a few quotes included from sources that you don't have listed, as it shows the examiner that you've done more than the bare minimum in terms of research. As long as you have an interest in whatever topic it is you're doing that shouldn't be too tough!

I hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 J.new

Sorry to hijack this thread, but i'v being chopping and changing with my topic all summer. i have being thinking something around an invention or an introduction of laws.

At the moment I am thinking the introduction of safety measures to Formula One. Is this to broad?

Would I better focusing on a paticular event which lead to the introduction of safety measures? I was thinking introduction could be facts about accidents, then about 2 or 3 major events, then what was introduced and how, finally talk about how much safer it is now.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

J.new wrote: »
    I am thinking the introduction of safety measures to Formula One. Is this to broad?

Would I better focusing on a paticular event which lead to the introduction of safety measures? I was thinking introduction could be facts about accidents, then about 2 or 3 major events, then what was introduced and how, finally talk about how much safer it is now.

Well according to the Guidelines given by the SEC...
    "Note that examiners will not award marks for material more recent than 1993 in the case of Ireland or more
    recent than 1992 in the case of Europe and the wider world."
    see here page 16 ; http://www.examinations.ie/exam/RSR_Booklet_Practice.pdf

Make sure all of your material is more recent than 1992 (all of it).

You would probably be better off focusing on a particular event or two, explain what happened, the effect it had on x and y, and what it brought about, ie; new laws etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GOCathail

J.new wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but i'v being chopping and changing with my topic all summer. i have being thinking something around an invention or an introduction of laws.

At the moment I am thinking the introduction of safety measures to Formula One. Is this to broad?

Well for you to base your project on it, it has to be historically important/significant. For what reason do you think that the introduction of safety measures to F1 racing is important? It doesn't strike me as exceptionally important in regards to history... I'm not being condescending or anything, I'm just giving constructive criticism! And don't worry about using the thread, it's perfectly fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I didn't do history for the LC but my dad (who is a history teacher) has corrected LC History papers for the past 2 years and it seems everybody gets in the 90s for their project! My dad said the project really boosts everyone's grade! Also the correctors were told to ignore the word count so even if you wrote double the amount it wouldn't affect your grade!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

GOCathail wrote: »
    Well for you to base your project on it, it has to be historically important/significant. For what reason do you think that the introduction of safety measures to F1 racing is important? It doesn't strike me as exceptionally important in regards to history... I'm not being condescending or anything, I'm just giving constructive criticism! And don't worry about using the thread, it's perfectly fine!

Were the safety measures brought in after a particular accident? Were they shown to have an effect on the number of accidents that occurred during F1 races? To be honest, it sounds perfectly historically significant to me...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

MegGustaa wrote: »
    Were the safety measures brought in after a particular accident? Were they shown to have an effect on the number of accidents that occurred during F1 races? To be honest, it sounds perfectly historically significant to me...

..especially if there was any common safety feature in 'normal' cars that was added as a result.

I don't know if there was or wasn't, but if there was, that would be interesting (and significant).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Whatever your topic is I'd recommend you try and finish it as early as possible. It's extremely handy to have it done before the mocks/orals starts. The last few weeks/months can be stressful at times so if you can get it done it's just one less thing you need to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 morison4642

mine is due in 2mor and i havent even started it yet ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

mine is due in 2mor and i havent even started it yet ,

Em.. thanks.. for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Torreto97

Hey guys, I've decided to do ol history and my project contains 1239 words, should I cut down a little more as for the maximum word usage is 800 for ol or that's fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 collins1916

how many pages should the project be?? and is there a specific layout

Advertisement