Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

O'Sheas wine bar!

Options
  • 23-07-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey there folks anybody remember that joint O'Sheas wine bar down on Eglington street ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Yeah, went to a few metal/punk gigs there. Might even have played a gig there. I can't exactly remember where it was but near O'Connors backery I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

yeah was just looking at the building above it which i think was either to let or being worked on as I went by it last week.
    Shame it went, must have closed around the millenium? Was certainly going in '98 when i was coming to town. Used to have a Chinese takeaway/restaurant upstairs.

& Niall 'Rivers' Hughes had open mic nights down there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Galways original lap dancing club was there as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

They did pizza there as well didn't they, or was that a later incarnation? I remember getting a late bottle of wine for take away and the guy working insisting on disguising it in a pizza box, even though it clearly wouldn't have fooled anyone. I'm pretty sure I was in it on nye 2002/2003 (or possibly the year after), so it lasted a bit longer than 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

One of the lads running it is now RIP. Another one still goin strong.
    Fairly sure they were out before the Euro so maybe someone else had it if it was a Pizza place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I thought it was O'Che's?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

dloob wrote: »
    I thought it was O'Che's?

It was alright. It was also on St. Francis Street not Eglinton Street.

Found this...
    http://johnheffernanireland.blogspot.ie/2005/10/john-heffernan.html

Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

The place that sold the wine in pizza boxes was on St Anthony's place, just off Francis Street.

It was run by an Asian fellow named Peter, who claimed he was on the run from the Triads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

It was O'Che's...

And joint is a good description, they used to turn a blind eye to folks smoking all sorts of things in there! ;) (I'm led to believe this is why it was closed, but that may be hearsay)....

Either way, it was a brilliant spot for a late night bottle of wine and a very eclectic selection of music...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mcmurphy995

Hey there guys i posted about this a few weeks back and i still cant find out much about it or even exactly where it is !!
    Any direction on this would be most grateful
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hey there guys i posted about this a few weeks back and i still cant find out much about it or even exactly where it is !!
    Any direction on this would be most grateful
    Thanks

Are you thinking of re-opening it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OPs second thread merged with OPs first thread.

Thanks for that i thought that was the spot alright , now how do i find out who owns it ?

whos knows what i might get up too but i do have a plan if i could find out who owns it and get in for a look !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 j.cor21

I dunno if any of ye will see this it's been so long since this forum was posted on but my aul lad is Tom heffernan, one of the co-managers of O'ches. That bar is all he ever goes on about and for a while I was wondering if it was just one of his elaborate tales coz I couldn't find any record of it . If ANY of ye have stories or photos of the place you could share I'd love to give them to him or let him know. He would go crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 22 daniel_h

Went to a couple of metal gigs there. Probably Headrush and Shallow Season... Not sure if there any photos taken though.

I know Niall Rivers was down there a lot. Was he helping organise?

It was one place I hit a lot in 98 too.

Interesting bohemian vibe like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Paddico

Went myself a good few times but cant for the life of me remember where it was.

Note, I too had a few funny smokes in there as it was very relaxed about that. Maybe that's why the memory's gone

It was the basement of an I think Italian restaurant or certainly the basement below a restaurant on Frances street so almost opposite the church there. I think the premises upstairs is stil a restaurant but is it Chinese now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement