Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Port Tunnel - Just Ask

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 transr0ute

Each bore of the tunnel is approximately 4.5km

Speed limit is 80 kph unless it needs to be reduced to 50 kph of safety reasons

Average speed cameras have been fitted and are being trialled currently but are not enforceable YET!

Red X above the lanes means the lane is closed - This is enforceable and is displayed for safety reasons offenders will be prosecuted if they travel in a closed lane.

There are over 100 cctv cameras.

19 emergency exits

if you open a door in the tunnel, turn on a light switch, pick up a fire extinguisher etc the control room will get an alarm and will investigate.

You are monitored 24/7 365 by a dedicated team to ensure safety.

Tunnel as of May will reduce its maintenance closures by 50% - Please check out website www.dublinporttunnel.ie which carries this info

Approximately 15,000 vehicles use the tunnel m-f

Commercial vehicles OVER 3,500kg GVW are free - Note Max GVW weight for a top ford Transit IS 3,500kg and you therefore have to pay as you are not OVER 3,500kg

You can pay by cash, Credit Card (Most but no Visa/Master Debit Cards not with Irish bank), Laser, and Electronic tag like easypass.

Please treat the collectors with manners and respect at all plaza's around the country. Just because you have had a bad day doesn't mean you can swear, threaten, spit at the toll collectors. Men and women!

Tag best and fastest way and can be used at any toll plaza plus M50 in Ireland - You would be mad not to have one, but you must have it located in the correct place on the windscreen.

The road the is the Dublin Port Tunnel is the M50 yes motorway, so no stopping... If you have made a mistake you have to keep going!

Approximate travel time form O'Connolly bridge to T2 at Dublin Airport (without speeding) can be as little as 12 minutes

Approximately 100 people are employed to operated it and keep you safe.

The Operator with the emergency services undertake a number of safety drills/exercises each year....

The 'new' national traffic control centre that is being created is situated at the Dublin Port Tunnel Control Building.

If you are unfortunate enough to have to use an SOS phone on the side of the Motorway you will more that likely be speaking to operators at the Dublin Port Tunnel.. there are more that 1,500 located through out the country.

Hope you have found this interesting. Anything else you would like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Can this be planned:-

I'd love to take a run in the tunnel. Would Love if they closed it one Sunday morning for a competitive run.

Or, have a race between two people. One in each tunnel, in effect running blind against each other without a clue where the other was. If the tunnels are not the same length just have the two runners start at either end of the tunnel.
    [Edit]
    [Report!]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Any chance of putting a few extra lanes in the tunnel, widening it at any stage in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

transr0ute wrote: »
    You can pay by cash, Credit Card (Most but no Visa/Master Debit Cards not with Irish bank), Laser, and Electronic tag like easypass.

Might be off-topic but I suspect this is illegal under EU-PSD (2007/64/EC). You shouldn't be discriminating against other EU banks. What's the point anyway - if you're authorising those transactions online, it shouldn't make any difference.
    darkman2 wrote: »
    Any chance of putting a few extra lanes in the tunnel, widening it at any stage in the future?

Is it congested and in need of upgrade?

markpb wrote: »
    Might be off-topic but I suspect this is illegal under EU-PSD (2007/64/EC). You shouldn't be discriminating against other EU banks. What's the point anyway - if you're authorising those transactions online, it shouldn't make any difference.

Is it congested and in need of upgrade?
    unfortunately visa/mastercard debit cards from non Irish banks cannot be verified re funds at time of travel as there is no chip and pin facility... Visa/mastercard credit cards are fine... You would be right if they had it but as they don't they are not required to accept.... Loss of revenue would be astronomical..

There is a requirement next year I believe that all European countries have to accept electronic tags from all EU countries

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    No tunnel widening planned!! couldn't if you tried... you would have to build a third bore... No need anyway... running at 50% of comfortable capacity.... in reality the model used re traffic suggests decades before it reaches that....

unfortunately visa/mastercard debit cards from non Irish banks cannot be verified re funds at time of travel as there is no chip and pin facility...

Lack of C&P doesn't stop you performing an online authorisation against the issuing bank at the time of the transaction. If the bank approves it, the customer has the funds. I agree it's more of a risk though. How do foreign truck drivers normally pay - do they carry cash or credit cards?

Good thread btw!

Lack of C&P doesn't stop you performing an online authorisation against the issuing bank at the time of the transaction. If the bank approves it, the customer has the funds. I agree it's more of a risk though. How do foreign truck drivers normally pay - do they carry cash or credit cards?

Good thread btw!
    Trucks are free so no issue there.., there is no immediate bank authorisation in the lane, it would take to long... Anyone using a bogus irish debit/credit card or insufficient funds on laser are chased down and are hit with the payment, banks fees and admin costs so a €3 journey could end up costing you €60....

As the facility is a government one the NRA can issue with payment letter as they do on the M50... they know where you live, trust me!

Trucks are free so no issue there..

*bangs head* :)
    there is no immediate bank authorisation in the lane, it would take to long... Anyone using a bogus irish debit/credit card or insufficient funds on laser are chased down and are hit with the payment, banks fees and admin costs so a €3 journey could end up costing you €60....

Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the replies :)

I have one more question - is it true that the air-conditioning system limits the numbers of vehicles through the tunnel per hour?

*bangs head* :)

Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the replies :)

I have one more question - is it true that the air-conditioning system limits the numbers of vehicles through the tunnel per hour?
    Hi yes to a degree.... the A/C (fans) are part of the tunnel design and the tunnel is designed to take a certain amount of vehicles per day. As for the hourly rate, not sure what the hourly rate is but this tunnel certainly wont reach hourly capacity it in our lifetime unless the toll goes down to €1

Not even the ones around Paris which are some of the most heavily congested tunnels in Europe, have hit there's yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Are there any plans to use some of the spare capacity to get more traffic out of the city quicker and away from the traditional routes such as allow ALL commercial traffic through for free or for the €3 all day? i.e. if it's a van paying commercail road tax it can go through regardless of weight?

I know it was built for a purpose i.e. to serve the port and it's HGV traffic but I'd say a good bit of light commercial traffic from the Malahide Road and Drumcondra routes would use it also at rush hour if the rates were a little more reasonable.

Second Q, are taxi's allowed use it for free? If not maybe they could use it? (I rather the LGV though ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Question why do tankers mainly carrying petrol/aviation fuel have to have a flashing beacon both on the tanks and tractor unit,While other tankers carrying other haz loads do not have a beacon.
    Also there is no regulation under the EU ADR directive regarding vehicles using beacons while carrying petrol etc.

cargo wrote: »
    Are there any plans to use some of the spare capacity to get more traffic out of the city quicker and away from the traditional routes such as allow ALL commercial traffic through for free or for the €3 all day? i.e. if it's a van paying commercail road tax it can go through regardless of weight?

I know it was built for a purpose i.e. to serve the port and it's HGV traffic but I'd say a good bit of light commercial traffic from the Malahide Road and Drumcondra routes would use it also at rush hour if the rates were a little more reasonable.

Second Q, are taxi's allowed use it for free? If not maybe they could use it? (I rather the LGV though ;) )
    Hey ther Cargo, re light commercial goods and the toll rate... unfortunately there are to many people using LCG as every day transport just to get the shopping and nothing to do with their business + many commercial jeeps used by those just so they pay reduced taxes and BIK and have no need for such a vehicle. I can imagine many people buying a car/van and get free toll at peak times = a saving of €100 a week m-f.

Taxi's have asked but they dont pay the toll anyway the 'fare' does and they can have a choice of using the tunnel and paying or going the long way which is costly as it is. As for empty cabs... Cabs off duty will claim they are on duty again using the tunnel for their own benefit

With both the above they would not be able to police it... and they would not take the divers word either :))

Question why do tankers mainly carrying petrol/aviation fuel have to have a flashing beacon both on the tanks and tractor unit,While other tankers carrying other haz loads do not have a beacon.
    Also there is no regulation under the EU ADR directive regarding vehicles using beacons while carrying petrol etc.
    Hey there DB.... Re Tankers and flashing beacons.... The tunnel is what is called a Cat C tunnel under ADR regulations which means some goods are prohibited, some are restricted and others no problem... In addition some goods are prohibited if carried in a tank say and permitted in cylinders of a certain size. bla bla

In relation to restricted DGV's as they are called, the tunnel requires the vehicle to have flashing amber lights at or near roof height, with the exception of drop containers off ships where the light on the trailer that is transporting the container can be lower down.

The reason for this is so the operators watching the CCTV 24hrs can identify a DGV and in an incident can declare to the fire brigade where DGV's are located.

There are specific ADR regulations for this and it is covered by the UN and not Europe..

The number you see on the orange plate (in most cases) is called a UN number. The top two digits identifies what family/class of goods it is such as flammable/gas etc and the bottom 4 represent the actual product such as 1203 = Gasoline or petrol or motor spirit

Hi Transroute,
    Thanks for the reply maybe I should have explained that I work in the transport industry dealing mainly with ADR(I'm a qualified ADR driver and DGSA) so there would have been no need to explain that the tunnel is Cat C etc,:oBut my question is about the flashing beacons fitted to both the tractor unit and trailer mainly on trucks moving aviation fuel/petrol/diesel etc through the tunnel.
    Under the UN ADR regs there is no rule that I can see regarding the above product having to be moved via tunnels with beacons flashing,i know of products that would have the same tunnel restriction code as the petrol tankers guys yet there is no requirment to have beacons fitted.
    Even in the vehicle standards for tanker spec trucks I could not find anything regarding vehicles having beacons fitted or under the tunnel restriction codes,I'm not trying to start an argument but over the last few years I've been scratching my head as to why certain tankers have flashing beacons while others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Speed limit is 80 kph unless it needs to be reduced to 50 kph of safety

The road the is the Dublin Port Tunnel is the M50 yes motorway, so no stopping... If you have made a mistake you have to keep going!
    If you're not allowed stop, why are there traffic lights on the m50?
    Why is there no freeflow lane at the tunnel toll?
    Does the toll price get charged at the time you enter the tunnel in Santry, or the time you pass the turnpike?
    Why is there no advance warning of the 50 limit before you enter the tunnel?
    Why are the cat eyes not kept clean in the tunnell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Are there any plans to lower the €10 charge in peak hours?

Or even lower the charge for commercial vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

What's the highest speed that the cameras have detected so far in the tunnel and do the four flashing speeding displays just detect speed at that point of the tunnel or have they tracked average speed from start to finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why is there no variable signage like on the n40 tunnel in Cork for the m50 tunnel?
    I was going home from Sandymount on Tuesday night and there was a dimly lit sign at the start of the M50/port junction, barely visible in the rain from the east wall road lights, and a bedraggled line of cones closing the motorway.

In Cork there are changing road signs giving plenty of notice when the tunnel is closed

Ideally there would be signs in Irishtown so I wouldn't be suckered into paying the drawbridge toll when the tunnel is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

IIRC there are signs, definitely when it first opened and on the approach to the northern entrance of the tunnel from Dublin Airport. Dunno if it's still in use though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

My wife was trying to navigate around the port area during rush hour one afternoon and accidentally ended up at then tunnel entrance, with the peak toll, and no way for her to turn around. She says she objected to the cashier but she is quite timid so ended up paying and getting on her way.

I took the same route myself at an off peak time and although I agree that the approach to the tunnel is poorly sign posted, am I wrong in believing that there should be some sort of turn around point for people who don't want to pay the toll?

My wife was trying to navigate around the port area during rush hour one afternoon and accidentally ended up at then tunnel entrance, with the peak toll, and no way for her to turn around. She says she objected to the cashier but she is quite timid so ended up paying and getting on her way.

I took the same route myself at an off peak time and although I agree that the approach to the tunnel is poorly sign posted, am I wrong in believing that there should be some sort of turn around point for people who don't want to pay the toll?

There is a section that over height trucks use that don't get captured by the sensors which means that the trucks can re enter onto the east wall road,I doubt the DPT company would allow cars that have taken the wrong turn to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Right...I have to admit, I didn't see it myself. Where was it exactly? Just before the toll booth?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

the centre bore tunnel? whats in there? often wondered?

If you were coming from dub port and go up the slip road it's to your right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

MidlandsM wrote: »
    the centre bore tunnel? whats in there? often wondered?

There isn't one. The crossover doors simply lead directly into the next bore.

As for people who take the wrong turn and end up in the toll booth at peak time - without seeming rude, you just need to read the signs. There are number of very, very large blue signs saying "Tolled Tunnel" - if you miss them you really do need to stop and do a double take (NOT literally) and be more observant/pro-active whn driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Why does the tunnel not run at even half its capacity, and why don't they look to encourage more users by charging reasonable prices, for all vehicles.

Basic Economics would suggest that double the custom at cheaper price = profit.

Is it true that the tunnel can't cope with "super" trucks and these super trucks are increasingly being the trucks used around Europe as they are more efficient?

Is the tunnel still leaking and regardless of if it is or not, was this problem caused by poor construction / design? Who footed the bill for fixing it and maintaining it?

Also, is the tunnel 24 hours yet? And if not, why not?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It doesn't run at capacity because the primary goal of the port tunnel is to get trucks quickly in and out of Dublin port without going through the city center.

If it was running at capacity then the journey time would be much slower and would defeat the purpose of the tunnel.

Yes, the tunnel can't take super trucks. But then these super trucks are completely banned from Ireland (they pose a problem for must rail bridges too) and they are banned in most countries throughout Europe.

The tunnel runs 24 hours a day, other then the odd time when it is closed over night for maintenance. These times are listed on the website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

what maintenance? leaks is it?

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    what maintenance? leaks is it?

Presumably the aircon, fire safety, cctv and drainage systems need to be checked and maintained, the road markings need to be repainted, blown lights need to be replaced, road signs need to be cleaned and probably a host of other work.

Advertisement