Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DBS Diploma in Accounting and Finance or Straight into Degree?

• 23-07-2012 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi, I'm not quite sure if this is the right place for this thread but it seems like it might be. I don't have any background in business or accounting but I have an Hons Degree in Law and an MSc in Criminology. After spending the guts of the last year applying for every job and internship going with absolutely no luck I'm thinking of doing either a diploma or degree in accounting and finance with a view to going into legal cost accountancy.

Anyway I was looking for any advice you might have as to whether I should do the diploma first and then do a degree or if I should just bite the bullet, go straight into a degree and just study my arse off to try and understand it?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I would recommend you take a look at this http://www.dit.ie/postgrad/programmes/dt310postgraduatediplomainaccounting/ course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Why don't you just start the professional exams? You could begin the ACCA by self study, or try and get a traing contract for ACA. The CPA elevation program might be another option but I think you need a few years work experience for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rexsavage

Thanks, this looks like exactly the course I should be doing. I knew boards wouldn't let me down! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

Have you looked in to joining a chartered accountancy body such as the CPA or ACCA? If you are serious about taking it up as a profession this will be your ultimate aim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

If you'd have to do the degree anyway, then go straight into the degree. You'd be well able for it considering your prior academic record.

• Advertisement

rexsavage wrote: »
    Thanks, this looks like exactly the course I should be doing. I knew boards wouldn't let me down! :D

You should get applying asap to get enrolled for September.

smcgiff wrote: »
    If you'd have to do the degree anyway, then go straight into the degree. You'd be well able for it considering your prior academic record.

The post grad dip I linked him , would be ideal given his previous record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Little Pea wrote: »
    The post grad dip I linked him , would be ideal given his previous record.

Yeah - not sure taking on full prof exams are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rexsavage

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    Have you looked in to joining a chartered accountancy body such as the CPA or ACCA? If you are serious about taking it up as a profession this will be your ultimate aim.

To be honest it's more than likely I'll be practicing in the UK rather than here. At the moment there are very few Legal Cost Accountancy firms taking on in Ireland, but I have seen quite a few in the UK.

Little Pea wrote: »
    You should get applying asap to get enrolled for September.

Yeah I'm going to get on it ASAP.

The way I figure is there's no point in taking my FE1s as there is so little work in the field and they don't transfer outside of Ireland so at least with accountancy and law I have a decent basis for application in the UK/elsewhere.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Yeah - not sure taking on full prof exams are required.

The diploma I linked will provider the OP with all CAP1 exemptions. This would be a great stepping stone to either securing a job or continuing onto the MSc which will offer full CAP2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement