Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General TV/Movie/VideoGame Thread-Use Spoiler Tags for Spoilers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

How big is The Pope's role in this movie, or am I thinking of another film?

Loved the Batman movies of the 90's but not much interest in watching this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Charisteas wrote: »
    How big is The Pope's role in this movie, or am I thinking of another film?

He was an unseen extra! He played a thug in the
    Battle between thugs and police

He was an unseen extra! He played a thug in the
    Battle between thugs and police

Wonder why they would cast a professional wrestler only to have him as an unseen extra? Or maybe does he do regular movie extra work to earn cash on the side.

Ok trivia question for you Batman marks - Arnold Schwarzenegger (I love how my spell check auto-corrected Schwarzenegger) played Mr Freeze, and Sylvester Stallone was second choice, but who was third choice for the role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Ok trivia question for you Batman marks - Arnold Schwarzenegger (I love how my spell check auto-corrected Schwarzenegger) played Mr Freeze, and Sylvester Stallone was second choice, but who was third choice for the role?
    Steven Seagal?

GTR63 wrote: »
    Steven Seagal?

Nope......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nope......

Some Wrestler

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Some Wrestler

Yes...........

Yes...........

Had to be Hogan then.

Yes...........

Jesse Ventura?

Jesse Ventura?

Ooh Didn't think of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Had to be Hogan then.

That would be AWFUL!
    "Prepare to freeze BROTHER"
    "I'm GONNA FREEZE YOU DUDE"
    "WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN MR. FREEZE RUNS WILD ON YOU"

Funnily enough I was watching Gremlins 2 tonight and laughed my arse off at Hogan Cameo!:pac:

Yeah, Hulk Hogan was Joel Schumacher's third choice to play Mr Freeze as he wanted Freeze to be "big and strong like he was chiseled out of a glacier".

I guess at the time of when Batman and Robin was being cast, Hogan had just turned heel with the nWo and was going through a reincarnation of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

I thougth bane has pipes all over his body that make him strong.

cena wrote: »
    I thougth bane has pipes all over his body that make him strong.

Nah thats too unrealistic Chris Nolan wouldn't have that. Thats why you hear vigilante instead of superhero and tumbler instead of batmobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Nah thats too unrealistic Chris Nolan wouldn't have that. Thats why you hear vigilante instead of superhero and tumbler instead of batmobile.

I just found it hard seeing him without them. Tom hardy was well built for Bane.

cena wrote: »
    I just found it hard seeing him without them. Tom hardy was well built for Bane.

He was nowhere near as huge as ex pro wrestler Jeep Swenson who was Bane in...batman and robin.
    So how many people will be talking in the Batman voice for the next week?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

SPOILERS AHEAD YE BE WARNED

just back after seeing it earlier today. I wasn't overly keen on it really. Like it was still a very good movie, but...I'll have to gather my thoughts on it, but unlike 1 & 2, I wasn't beaming leaving the theatre. I think maybe it lies in Bane overall, and wasn't overly hot on Catwoman either. I guess the story didn't grip me as much. The cameos were awesome. I wonder if Heath Ledger was still around if he'd've had a part. Talking to a mate, saying what if Heath Ledger was still alive, do you think he'd have a camero? He mentioned there'd probably be one shot of him just revelling in the chaos, making snow-angels from the ashes. Thought that would've been amazing! Would've been perfect. I agreed, I think Joker'd love the anarchy but he wouldn't be scheming with Bane, he'd be off on his own merry venture. Like he might've done the part of the judge - there were a lot of happy gasps said judge; and a nice round of applause after the film was done.

There was a lot more jokey lines in this one. I guess it's to counter the serious tone but i'm not huge on parodying lines from the first. I guess the tone was more depressed than dark & brooding, if that makes sense. i really liked how it tied into the first film; i just watched Batman Begins last night. Everything in a neat package, great call backs - great foresight :)

Catwoman - She was better than in Arkham City and better than I expected but my pants wouldn't be soiled if i heard she was getting a movie. Maybe it's because Bane's a 2nd tier baddie it's hard to take him that serious. Like he was booked strong in the movie but he didn't feel like a massive threat. Maybe it's screen presence or some knobby word for it but Joker's actions and words had so much more gravity to them. His old british accent was a bit hilarious though...and he was jobbed out pretty sharpish during the 2nd encounter. I guess Batman knew how to beat him easier. The first fight was pretty cool.

As a doctor I wasn't overly keen on the medical wizardry of fixing a broken back with a punch...what was Bane's deal for his mask again? That seemed a bit dodgy. Being able to jump farther 'if you really want to'? Even without Hogan as his physio he got back to better than full health in about a month wtf! (No Holds Barred reference) :P

The Lazarus pit was interesting but i'm not huge on stories told in flashback form. I thought it looked better in the trailer but it wasn't very maze-like in the film. I'm nitpicking but surely there's a smarter way to cross that gap in the wall. I also didn't like how people who weren't part of the League of Shadows knew who batman was, that they figured it out. That's a big deal but it was just tossed in there.

Overall I did enjoy the film, it was still really cool, but after seeing Batman Begins yesterday, it's definitely the worst of the three IMO. The story really rounded out Batman Begins so I was quite happy with that, all the pieces slotted together. It's still a......7.5-8/10 film but...I can't help but feel a bit let down by it. (Dark Knight is my 2nd favourite film). It wasn't as beautiful as the 2nd film, which I thought was absolutely gorgeous.

Anyone catch sight of the Pope?

What cameos were in it Jayk?
    Sorry for Spoilers lads but damn it the warning is in the thread title.

What cameos were in it Jayk?
    Sorry for Spoilers lads but damn it the warning is in the thread title.

i said it in the OP and in the thread title there's spoilers you there's no reason for spoiler tags. Coming into this thread before you've seen it is asking for trouble!

Eh......I'm hesitant to say but since you asked, ah just in case i'll spoiler if u change your mind
    Raas (Liam Neeson) and Scarecrow/Dr Crane have cameos. They do splice clips from BB/TDK as well if they count

Oh, small Q, were the crowds always chanting "this is arkham-arkham!" or something else (I swear it wasn't "Miz is awesome! awesome!")

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Oh, small Q, were the crowds always chanting "this is arkham-arkham!" or something else (I swear it wasn't "Miz is awesome! awesome!")
    Yup pretty sure it was. A few people I was talking to though, thought they were saying "this is gotham-gotham" so im not 100% sure.

They did chant it in the Lazerus pit and it was explained/translated so i assume it wasn't english. But it sure sounded like that!

Beating Bane in the manner he did was a bit naff. How did he get the upper hand? Why punching him in the mask. Since Nolan's ending the trilogy maybe they could've had Batman have to kill himself to stop Bane to save Gotham. Bane kinda whimpers out.

Also a literal ticking timebomb to finish us off felt a bit off. Like i know Gotham was at stake but it didn't have as much payoff.

I wonder if Levitt's storyline, if it was entirely left out, would the film have been better...How come they're spending the last film of a trilogy w/ the director building up this guy? Maybe it's just to expound on the notion of "symbol > man" that is the whole reason for Batman.

I agree it was different to see Bale mope around the mansion for the first hour but it's not gripping me seeing him hobble around. 7 years of him sitting on his arse seems a bit of a quiet way to start the film.

I'm nit picking really, i'm just trying to verbalise why I'm disappointed. It was still a very good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

i reckon nolan is buillding for a batman beyond film........also references to killer croc, deadshot, all were thrown in i really doubt that was the last unless he goes with .......robin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nah, they'll be rebooting completely. They'll be going with a Justice League film. Only way they can do that is with Bruce Wayne Batman, which means reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yup pretty sure it was. A few people I was talking to though, thought they were saying "this is gotham-gotham" so im not 100% sure.

Nope. Used to think this meself though.

They're chanting (and this is a rough attempt at spelling) Deh-shay, deh-shay bah-sah-rah, bah-sah-rah. Loosely translated from Moroccan to English it would be rise, rises or to rise from something. Sounds like a mash up of Moroccan and Spanish in some parts though.

Could very well be something they just made up on the spot though.

They actually say it in the film you know....Bruce asks "what are they saying?" and hes told "its means rise".

***Spoilers galore***

I loved the ending, it was put together well.

I didn't get the Dark Knight rises tag line before going to see it. But it makes sense now.

The new characters were introduced quickly and were a huge part of the movie.

Blake was introduced well in the movie. The bit where the cops blew the bridge out of gotham was really smart as it gave Blake the push to throw away his badge as he couldn't get Justice as part of the force. But we were shown he was smart, he was resourceful, he really believed in right and good. Considering this is the first time we see him i thought he was possibly the best character in the whole movie.

Catwoman was the complete opposite of the whiney helpless Dawes character. I loved how she screwed Batman over but showed a conscience and ended up playing a key part in saving Gotham. She wanted a new start and gets it in the end.

Bane was excellant. He was smart as well as brutal. The opeining scenes were brilliant and his line to the doctor wets up his character brilliantly.

I don't have a problem with how he was "killed off" (the avengers for example
    Hulk just wiped the floor with Loki and it was pure comedy and more of a let down
    ) - once Batman beat him the first time his indestructible aura was gone, the fact it took a missile to take him out is pretty fine. I also liked that Cat Woman was the one to save Batman.

I also liked how Batman got the better of him initially - first time round Batman got pummeled and broken. Next time round he out thought him and in a well shot fight scene even though bane is pummeling him again he completely focuses on the mask as its Bane's weakness. Also considering how Bane broke the Batmans mask first time around i thought it was another smart piece of the movie.

Batman himself was really good. I liked the bit in the doctors where his joints are screwed. The mental anguish, the physical pain, the way he comes back time and time again. His interactions with the Brilliant Alfred and how it all leads to the ending. Excellent.

The ending was really good. I loved everything about it, from the bit over the bay right through to the credits.

Also the time flew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

caspa307 wrote: »
    i reckon nolan is buillding for a batman beyond film........also references to killer croc, deadshot, all were thrown in i really doubt that was the last unless he goes with .......robin

when was killer croc referenced ? i know people think the sniper during the shoot out scene before gordon enters the sewers is dead shot

• Registered Users Posts: 84,795 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wasnt sure if Blake
    was going to be Robin or take over from Bruce Wayne as Batman

Overall excellent end to Nolan's trilogy and I hope come Oscar time it is a nominee for best picture

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I wasnt sure if Blake
    was going to be Robin or take over from Bruce Wayne as Batman

Overall excellent end to Nolan's trilogy and I hope come Oscar time it is a nominee for best picture
    my interpretation of it was that he was Robin all along, but just didnt wear the costume or use the name. He was the same character if you get what I mean. Is he not a bit "small" to play batman though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ricero wrote: »
    when was killer croc referenced ? i know people think the sniper during the shoot out scene before gordon enters the sewers is dead shot

Was just a small thing. Bruce asks Blake shouldnt he be telling his superiors about what Gordons saying and he says "I did. Then they asked me about the giant alligators down there" or something like that

Advertisement