Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New bovids from the Pliocene of Ethiopia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What about Illingoceros alexandrae? Not all that closely related but a similar style of animal nonetheless.
    http://www.thewildlifemuseum.org/docs/Annies_Pronghorn.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I also like Ramoceros because of its cool name!

spec-amphi-ramo.gif

Run lil' dude! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Weird thing, Ramocerus. It gave a damn about symmetry...

i-b8f10f1c5a5ce535f995518485571078-Ramoceros_osborni_full_skeleton_wikipedia_July-2010.jpg

If we talk about prehistoric pronghorns there's plenty of bizarre ones, like Merriamoceros:

i-b5db1aa4524af1af9a54c83a0bdcbd7c-Merriamoceros_Heffelfinger-et-al-2004_July-2010.jpg

Or Hexameryx:

i-ba1b9bc61df1a7ecd86c3e22d50c4b03-Hexameryx-Webb-1973_July-2010.jpg

But I was thinking more of Old World, true antelopes/bovids, since they are even less known than fossil pronghorns...

Oh, what the hell, let's post them all XD

Oh and let's not forget cervids:

3780883902_2f7ec5f629.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Megaloceros giganteus?

OK OK it isn't an antelope, but deer are filling the same niche in a more temperate climate, and they do have a common ancestor somewhere in the dim and distant past.

By the way there is a great example of Megaloceros giganteus in the museum in Liverpool, a fossil that has had me fascinated since I was a little kid. Deer have no right to be that big or fearsome. :)

• Advertisement

Tell that to modern day moose:

anchorage-moose_1528.jpg

Yeah all right, it doesn´t look fearsome here, but I hear they can be extremely dangerous sometimes even without any apparent provocation.

I agree tho that Megaloceros is difficult to top.

432082317_3fc7c4dd28.jpg

Other crazy prehistoric cervids (around the same size as Megaloceros) would be Eucladoceros ("bush-antlered deer") like the one in my previous post, as well as Libralces:

80538320.jpg

08580855.jpg

And Cervalces, the "moose-stag":

3868191381_84ce7076db_z.jpg

Doing some more research I've found some pretty bizarre ungulates- not all of them bovids- from prehistoric Africa.

There was seemingly a gigantic sable antelope, Hippotragus gigas, but I didn´t find much on it. There was also of course Pelorovis, and another giant ox called Bularchus arok, which is described as having horns spanning like a "two lane highway" with "the rest of the animal proportioned accordingly". There was also a "bull sized" oryx with very long horns.

But what caught my eye most was the so called Afrochoerus, a kind of pig, with tusks that were initially mistaken for those of an elephant (!). The tusks are very bizarre but there seems to be controversy over their orientation.

q%29%20suids%20illus.jpg

bf8ced694cc88ef593.jpg

If anyone has pics of Bularchus arok or more info on it or the other critters plz post :D

Advertisement