Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nirvana

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

to be fair....even kirk is barely an established member at this stage....

"me and james drive the car and kirk and rob are in the back"
    lars ulrich...

Lol, says alot about Kirk as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Its difficult with a three piece, and especially as the focus was on Kurt during their successful period. Would be like the Jimi Hendrix Experience reforming without Jimi Hendrix (even though the two other guys are now dead too).

I can think of two other examples - The Doors, after Jim Morrison died, kept going and released two albums and toured. And it was awful. Didn't work at all as Morrison was such an essential part (if not THE essential part) of the whole thing.

And with Pink Floyd, Syd Barrett (original singer, guitarist, songwriter and "star" of the group) left after their first album and was replaced with David Gilmour. THAT worked, as we all know.

Courtney on vocals and guitar would be awesome! :-)

Would've been interesting if Kurt hadn't died and Grohl wrote more songs. There's a story Grohl tells of playing Kurt "Alone and Easy Target" and Cobain loving it and saying "Finally, someone to take the pressure off me!". But Grohl didn't want to record his songs with Nirvana, as he felt Kurt was doing a good enough job.

It could've added a new dimension; that song would've been a good Nirvana song and maybe Grohl's stuff would've been a bit sweeter than Kurt's, and maybe he would've sung too. Could've opened up what Nirvana was. Anything better than the tripe that Grohl puts out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Not if it illustrates that just because someone gets songwriting credits doesn't mean they are an established member of the band.
    You've already made it clear you won't accept Grohl's as an established member of Nirvana therefore I don't see the relevance to a comparison with some anonymous Joe's contribution to a completely different band and album when said anonymous Joe is not and was never regarded as a member of the band in question.
    I'll just have to disagree with you once again
    You're disagreeing with a question though.
    If you want to say that I have something against Dave because of this, fine, but I really don't
    Fair enough but you have a very strange way of showing it by repeatedly dismissing him as a passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Motley and Malice - I can see where Motley is coming from, his idea that Grohl was a hired hand in the group and that the entire focus was on Cobain, his lack of songwriting contributions and his at times rumoured to be tenuous position in the band can support that idea. I can see where Malice is coming from, his idea that Grohl was a firmly established member of the group, with an obvious impact on the band's style and the contribution his drumming made towards Nirvana's direction. On paper, Nirvana was Cobain's show, but anyone who has been in a band will tell you that who you play with makes a massive difference to the way you play yourself. You get to know them and their style and if the band gels, that's when it gets good. No matter who writes the songs, it's rare to find someone who'll walk into a room with his bandmates and say 'here's the song' then proceed to sing, play guitar, play the bassline, get behind the kit and then tell them to play exactly what they just played. It's usually a far more organic process.

Kurt Cobain was the focal point, the songwriter of Nirvana. No denying that there was no Nirvana without him. It's when he brought the songs to his bandmates and they jammed out the songs he'd written and added bass and drums that the songs got some life into them. Dave Grohl's contribution to this process was vast, as was Krist Novoselic's. In the hands of a poor rhythm section, Nirvana's songs would never have had the same impact as they did, therefore Nirvana would not have had the impact that they did. This takes nothing away from Cobain, it just illustrates that Nirvana's success, though mostly attributed to their frontman, was a group effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Riddle101 wrote: »
    By your logic, Rob Trujillo isn't an established member of Metallica, because 1)He was the 4th Bass Guitarist of Metallica. 2)Wasn't apart of Metallica during it's formulative years and 3)Has only contributed to one album since joining the band.

I don't see Rob as an established member of Metallica....sorry...but that is something I've stated before on the superthread for that band where it belongs so I can't speak further on that here. But you're right I don't see Rob as an established member of Metallica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't see Rob as an established member of Metallica....sorry...but that is something I've stated before on the superthread for that band where it belongs so I can't speak further on that here. But you're right I don't see Rob as an established member of Metallica.
    Metallica sort of "disappeared" Rob...he was one highly sought after bass player until they vanished him

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Advertisement