Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Seen on NFL.com that turner ready to trust Mathews, about time.
    This guys Tds will go way up being able to run the ball in the red zone.

Cant wait to see him this year.

Another Link of interview with Mathews.

Hey Rochey I'm involved in a debate elsewhere about the use of this word 'seen' as you have used it above. I'd be interested to know why you used 'seen' and not 'saw' above?.

In terms of your post I love Mathews. If he can get over the fumble jitters watch out world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Justin10

There is no reason at all, I've just done it always, I never use the word saw, just habits.

There is no reason at all, I've just done it always, I never use the word saw, just habits.

Cool... interesting that you say 'habit'. The lads in the debate are mentioning 'dialects' and such like. Some were arguing about 'standard' (common formal usage) english etc...

The 2 most common things being discussed were/are;

Saying or writing;
    • I done instread I did and
    • I seen instead of I saw

I'm interested in linguisitics aswell as the CHARGERS!!. So back on topic then!!!. I see we picked up some scrub Tackle who was with the Rams at some stage. We are so screwed if Gaither gets lazy again.

Loving what I'm hearing about Vincent Brown. He just might be our diamond in the rough.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/30/being-receiver-academic-chargers-brown/

Steve Wyche seems to be expecting a lot from Mathews too.
    Vincent Brown who I think is going be a very good slot receiver, isnt going to be ahead of Eddie Royal, just because of the money Eddie got paid. I think Brown will be better.

Same situation with Ingram and Johnson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I actually think Matthews is going to have a serious year this year. Full off-season, more experience, McClain to open bigger gaps and I think a commitment to the run game to take the pressure off Rivers will mean big yardage for him this year. My main concerns are his health as he has been prone to picking up injuries and also how good will our O-line be.

Its great hearing the positive reports on Brown but i'm not too worried about our WRs, Philip on form will make everyone look good.

Interesting to hear Wyche say Norv is raving about Rosario, i had thought he'd be pushed to even make the roster. I wonder is it just smoke and screens by Norv

OAOB wrote: »
    I actually think Matthews is going to have a serious year this year. Full off-season, more experience, McClain to open bigger gaps and I think a commitment to the run game to take the pressure off Rivers will mean big yardage for him this year. My main concerns are his health as he has been prone to picking up injuries and also how good will our O-line be.

Its great hearing the positive reports on Brown but i'm not too worried about our WRs, Philip on form will make everyone look good.

Interesting to hear Wyche say Norv is raving about Rosario, i had thought he'd be pushed to even make the roster. I wonder is it just smoke and screens by Norv

I listened to the interview with Rosario on xx1090 last night (http://www.xx1090sandiego.com/pages/xx1090_audio_vault/) and wow he sounds like a real smart guy. Like you said Rivers is gonna make all these guys look so good.

Was also watching the 50th year anniversary DVD last nite and it was amazing to re-live the time we had 2 wideouts and a TE all go over 1000 yards in receiving in 1 season. Incredible.

Brian Banks trying out for us today.

We picked up Ronnie Brown, really like this pick up.

We picked up Ronnie Brown, really like this pick up.

I dunno. I think he's done. Would much rather seeing Brinkley a guy who against all the odds is busting his ass to make it in the NFL.

• Advertisement

Brown I think will be 3rd back behind Brinkley. Just he suits the way we play.

Brown I think will be 3rd back behind Brinkley. Just he suits the way we play.

I don't think we'll go with more than 2 RBs in the 53 esp with McClain able to spell the RB position too. If Brinkley is not PS eligible (don't think he is) he could be gone. I reckon he has a chance of beating out Ronnie in any event. I just hope Norv sees it that way too and doesn't focus on the chance of Mathews going down for a while and us needing an 'experienced head' = Ronnie.

The backs in the 53 will be Mathews, Mc Clain, Hester (heaven help us) and one of Brinks or Brown. Baker to the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Bolts fan here! At long last Matthews is allowed to show his true worth! A lot on his shoulders this coming year, even after a good year i have faith he can produce more! It's still Rivers' team though!

Shane.C wrote: »
    Bolts fan here! At long last Matthews is allowed to show his true worth! A lot on his shoulders this coming year, even after a good year i have faith he can produce more! It's still Rivers' team though!

Welcome Shane......... it's great that we have so many Bolts fans on here!. If Mathews can toughen up somewhat (stop the niggling injuries) and hold onto the ball he will be a top top back.

Good article on Rivers here

Good article on Rivers here

That's a great write up. Sums the guy up for me. Mobility wise he is poor so it is a good thing that he is as a tough SOAB in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

If I wasn't a Packers fan I would be a Rivers fan.... sorry sorry I mean Chargers fan.

LaDainian Tomlinson, the NFL's fifth all-time leading rusher and the San Diego Chargers' first-round pick in the 2001 NFL Draft, will re-sign with San Diego and immediately announce his retirement from the NFL at a press conference Monday at Chargers Park. The announcement will be streamed live on http://chargers.com/

248094_10150899392772713_1885092874_n.jpg

Been away for a bit and had to come in and pay my respects to LT. True Charger legend. Wow 2 'gone' inside a mth or so. Bolt Up.

Btw lads we have a Chargers Irish fan group on Facebook. Feel free to join. Not restricted to Irish people either. We've a number of ex players who are members aswell as San Diegans and others.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/91897595006/

• Advertisement

Anyone else think this Fans HOF vote is a pile of horsemanure?.

I mean Darren Bennett, Natrone Means and Anthony Miller, you gotta be kidding me.

They were all decent players but hardly HOF performers. HOF performers for me (who are still not in the HOF btw) would be Leslie O'Neal (one of my heroes), Courtney Hall and of course the likes of these from modern day - LT, Gates, Jamal, Philip, Hardwick and Scifres.

If I had to pick one of em I'd plump for Natrone Means but he didn't perform long enough as a Bolt for me.

Castillo release, I thought he would of be decent in a rotation.
    Maybe Reyes is showing more then expected?
    Hope he gets another chance somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Castillo release? With the Ravens new cap room, he's a guy we could go after if the guys aren't confident in Jones.

According to Kevin Acce both parties have been discussing his future for for few weeks. Chargers decided go with youth and release him.

May not have made the team after camp anyway so gives him time to get a new team.

I was delighted that we were able to re-sign Castillo this off-season but i'm hoping this release means the younger guys are showing more than expected so far.
    Liuget, Martin, Reyes and Cesaire are our DEs, i would have thought Castillo could have out played Cesaire

I was delighted that we were able to re-sign Castillo this off-season but i'm hoping this release means the younger guys are showing more than expected so far.
    Liuget, Martin, Reyes and Cesaire are our DEs, i would have thought Castillo could have out played Cesaire

Apparently Reyes will be starting sooner rather than later, that's what I'm hearing. He could beat out Martin. Liuget needs to come a bunch and he should.

Castillo only performed for 1 season in his whole career and got overpaid imho. But I guess he was a v popular guy among the teams top brass so letting him go now like Rochey said gives him time to catch on with another team. I'd wonder about how motivated he is though. He's a real smart guy and could easily move career, pretty boy too so could see him working on TV before long.

Cesaire seems like a guy who isn't rated by anyone outside of San Diego inner group (players + management)

Spikes last year said he couldn't believe he hadn't heard about him before, he was so impressed with him.

Luiget is a stuff the run and try and occupy 2 blockers. He isn't going to run up the sack count, Reyes seems a lot more athletic. I think we will be fine at DL. We usually hold on to 6 guys which is exactly what we have.

On another topic, good debate about RM vs LT. Makes you think RM is doing a lot better then people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Chargers released Dielman, rumour has it he might be de-retiring and signing elsewhere :(

Signed Franklin the NT as well. Could be a good pick up. Was great in a 3-4 but was poor enough in the saints 4-3 last year

I read that Dielmen retiring was only a legal matter, Acce also tweeted it too.

Guessing Battle thought he was worth more back in march.
    Wish football would start already.

• Advertisement

I like the signing of Franklin, i'd presume he'll be battling with Garay for a roster spot.

Don't know why we have been chasing Battle so much, i'd take Brinkley over him anyway and we also have the two rookies challenging for a spot.

Advertisement