Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champix/Chantix - anyone got any information?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

ARE YOU STILL OFF THE SMOKES TERRY(TERENC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 chicklick

champix are brilliant

:D Have to agree with you on that one chicklick,still off the smokes and feeling great.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

terenc wrote: »
    :D Have to agree with you on that one chicklick,still off the smokes and feeling great.:):):)

Afternoon all

I just started taking the 0.5mg tabs on Saturday last, so it's early days into this attempt to give up the fags. Maybe it's too early to tell if there are any side-effects for me but I haven't experienced anything yet...
    Worrying though is that I don't feel any less of an urge to have a ciggie - no difference really....
    Still, gonna keep it up and see how it works out...

Ciao

Hope the Champix works for you am still off them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 degie

Not to be taken by anyone with a history of depression
    Have seen the result's not good if at any time youve suffered from depression it can bring it all crashing to the surface
    There was no other trigger for the eppisode that occured in an ordinary person with an ordinary life so just be aware and double check :confused:
    Ask in hospitals in Ireland what they think

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mynamewasgone!

I gave up just about a year ago now and used champix.Was new yrs last yr i started taking them. Had been smoking for 10 years. 20 a day for probably about 7 of them. Still of them now. They are brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 therealtruth

I started taking these last july and finished in october and i am glad to say that i am still smoke free and wonder how on earth i smoked and wasted my money for so long.

I did also try Zyban but had a nasty panic attack on them so be careful.

I had no side effects whatsoever off Champix except not smoking again

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrshappy

I am on day 5 and have been given a 3 month prescription. I am ready to give up and have set day 8 as my quit date - my question is do you have to take the 3 months or is one month enough to take - I am anxious to be on these tablets any longer than I have to be

Have people taken 1 month prescription and stayed off cigs and another question - could you quit before day 8 if you wanted to?

Thanks

Hi Mrshappy, haven't been here for a while, am off the cigs a year next Thursday, fecking great. I used the champix for 28 days looking back i split the tablets in half so i might have got 5 or 6 extra days out of them. All i can say it worked for me but everybody is different and the best of luck in kicking the habit and believe me it will get easier as time moves on.:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Dundalkonians

I'm due to start the 4 weeks on the 1mg tabs, finishing the 2 week starter pack tomorrow. Just wondering does anyone know where to get them any cheaper. Know they're free on med card but I don't have one of those. The 4 week pack costs €134 priced it today, but if I go to north they cost £74, but if I buy online it costs £59.95, but they need me to post prescription to them and not enough time before thursday for that.
    So just wondering if any of you know of anywhere I can get them any cheaper by thursday morning. I'm looking for the 4 week 1mg pack.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 2ray@eircom.net

I quit with them too in January and enjoyed the dreams (if only they would come true) cut back on them after 6 weeks and am still taking a couple a week but more to use them than need them and hoping for the dreams to come back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 therealtruth

I started taking these last july and finished in october and i am glad to say that i am still smoke free and wonder how on earth i smoked and wasted my money for so long.

I did also try Zyban but had a nasty panic attack on them so be careful.

I had no side effects whatsoever off Champix except not smoking again

Still two years on and i would not ever touch a tobacco product again

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

Just took my 1st Champix. Smoking over 20 a day, feel rotten from them!! So nervous but so happy I finally took steps to kill the addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Orla_O_H

Hi,

Myself & my boyfriend are trying to quit together. Both smoking 15-20 cigs a day for 16 years. We are on day 17 of Champix & are still smoking....I have one cig before work and then one after dinner, but on weekends i'm having about 4 or 5.

On reading this thread, a lot of people gave up much sooner. We are both dertimined to do it but its just not happening as quick. I'll take the tabs for six months and suffer the side effects if it means getting off the evil things!!

My side effects are nausea for about an hour after taken tab. I've had 3 weird dreams. Not too scary just reeeally weird. E.G there were spiders all over my house, but they had necks which were made out of crayola crayons. I'm also finding my memory isn't the best...e.g I can't remember the names of songs,films, actors names etc (only when put on the spot, it comes to me eventually).

Has anyone else been on them for 17 days or more before they gave up?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭moany

@Orla O H
    Just stop smoking altogether and keep taking the tablets. I was worried what would happen when i stopped but nothing did.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Orla_O_H wrote: »
    Hi,

Myself & my boyfriend are trying to quit together. Both smoking 15-20 cigs a day for 16 years. We are on day 17 of Champix & are still smoking

Don't worry I was on day 30 and doing my best to stay smoking, was out having a few beers and just physically couldn't smoke any more. Might be bad advise but stay smoking until you just stop, my OH done the same, staid smoking and stayed taking the tablets and you'll just eventually stop of your own accord in the next week or 2. You'll know yourself when your ready and you just won't light another one.
    Start making the cigs hard to find, stop buying them and start bumming them until you finish. Keep going your nearly there don't loose faith in the tablets and do the full course.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Orla_O_H wrote: »
    Hi,

Myself & my boyfriend are trying to quit together. Both smoking 15-20 cigs a day for 16 years. We are on day 17 of Champix & are still smoking....I have one cig before work and then one after dinner, but on weekends i'm having about 4 or 5.

On reading this thread, a lot of people gave up much sooner. We are both dertimined to do it but its just not happening as quick. I'll take the tabs for six months and suffer the side effects if it means getting off the evil things!!

My side effects are nausea for about an hour after taken tab. I've had 3 weird dreams. Not too scary just reeeally weird. E.G there were spiders all over my house, but they had necks which were made out of crayola crayons. I'm also finding my memory isn't the best...e.g I can't remember the names of songs,films, actors names etc (only when put on the spot, it comes to me eventually).

Has anyone else been on them for 17 days or more before they gave up?:confused:

just stop. the champix wont make just stop, you have to make the decision.

I got to day 18 and still having 1 a day, that day i said "**** this" and stopped.

its around a year now since i had one.

for about 2 months, i kept a pack around the house, just in case which made me feel better, cos i got panicky i thought i didnt have in the house.

my husband decided at day 10 he wasnt having anymore and just stopped.

YOU have to decide to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mur1

I stopped today, day 19 on champix. it's my second time using them. Stopped for 3 weeks a few years ago but stopped taking champix after the first month and I decided I could smoke while drinking! Didn't last obviously.
    Doing well half way threw day one and plan to stay on the champix for the 3 months or more this time if I get there.
    I forgot how effective these are at stopping the physical cravings. Just hope I can keep on top of the mental side.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 nippy

Are Champix expensive??????

• Advertisement

nippy wrote: »
    Are Champix expensive??????

Hi nippy am off the cigs nearly 5 years indeed it could be longer:) you had to get them prescribed because like any medication they could be side effects so that cost a few euro and then the Champix (28 day supply). I think the whole lot came to 80 Euro. Thinking back you were suppose to take 3/ 28 day course of tablets. I only used 1 /28 pkt but everybody is different. Since I have stopped smoking I have probably kept 15,000- 20,000 Euro for myself spent on hobbies and holidays for the family, so any money spent stopping smoking is well worth the effort and am still alive which is most important:D
    Cheers.

Advertisement