Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Open 2012

• 10-07-2012 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭

So PaddyPower already offering top 7 places but Boylesports usually go out to 8 closer to the event.

My 2 picks so far:

Dustin Johnson e/w @ 40-1 on Paddy (top 7)

Ernie Els e/w @ 40-1 on Bet365 (top 6)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'd say there's no way Boyles will go 8 at this stage.
    They have been advertising 6 places since last week and it starts next week.
    Coral, Hills, Sky Bet, 888/Bluesq & Ladbrokes all 5 places according to Oddschecker & Boyles 5 places as well according to them!
    Ladbrokes are 6 places in Irish shops though.
    PP are the only bookie with 7 places.
    Check the prices of the player you are going to back first and then decide which is best!

http://www.oddschecker.com/golf/open-championship/the-open-championship/winner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

I only remember one firm going 8 places once in my betting history (last 9/10 years) and while i'm pretty sure it was the Open, i'm also pretty sure it was PP with that offer. In any case, Boyles don't "usually go out to 8 places" for this event or any event. Unfortunely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

See the first post of this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056319866

I got 8 places last year. They might not have had 8 places open for a long period of time, but they were there.

Also look here
    http://www.golfbettingpro.com/category/Golf-Promotions/The-Open-Championship-betting-Boylesports-20110709/

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

Boylesports are paying on 6 places and giving cash back if any irish player wins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

So many golfers so little money! I think Francesco Molinari is in great form and its a bout time he really challenged a major. Hes a very good putter so hoping he will do well @ 66/1!

Rafael Cabrera Bello @ 100/1 such a good little golfer and has won me quite alot of e/w money so would be rude not to give him a punt he has the game just needs to get the mentality!

Keegan Bradley @ 80/1 Ok his season hasnt been too good but the guy one a major on his first full season on the pga tour so he has the credentials that price is too good to pass on!

hmmmmmm might have to give luke donald a spin 16/1 is short but the guy is steady eddie and chances are these guys arnt gonna rip the course up for 4 days so he could be in with a shout!

I m bringing the topic up nice and early as im easily swayed and theres a round of golf for anyone who picks me a winner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

technodub wrote: »
    So many golfers so little money! I think Francesco Molinari is in great form and its a bout time he really challenged a major. Hes a very good putter so hoping he will do well @ 66/1!

Rafael Cabrera Bello @ 100/1 such a good little golfer and has won me quite alot of e/w money so would be rude not to give him a punt he has the game just needs to get the mentality!

Keegan Bradley @ 80/1 Ok his season hasnt been too good but the guy one a major on his first full season on the pga tour so he has the credentials that price is too good to pass on!

hmmmmmm might have to give luke donald a spin 16/1 is short but the guy is steady eddie and chances are these guys arnt gonna rip the course up for 4 days so he could be in with a shout!

I m bringing the topic up nice and early as im easily swayed and theres a round of golf for anyone who picks me a winner

Just goes to show how Francesco has improved. This time last year we'd probably be saying he's the worst putter on tour, especially from 4-6 feet.

Looking at a few different golfers trying to keep my 100% major run this year! Taking prices from PP.

Mickelson. Had a lot on him last year when he made a big run on the final day. He's 33/1 because he doesn't have a great record in the Open but i think it's a very good price and could see it drifting even further.

Schwartzel. Has a decent record at the Open over the last few years and I think 50/1 is a pretty good price here.

Fisher. Coming back to decent form recently. Think he has a shot here.

Daly. Playing well recently and of course no stranger to links courses. Worth a punt for the 150/1 price

Duval. 500/1. Not a really serious bet but he wasn't either a few years back when he nearly won the US Open at the same price. Won here before.

Will probably pick another one or two closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Stricker - Steady player, great putter, due a major, played well in the John Deere this week - 66/1.

Singh - Coming off a win on links, streaky player who is on a streak - 150/1.

Potter - Would be a big surprise if he won it but stranger things have happened. Won the Greenbrier last week and played well this week so high on confidence - 400/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Ormus wrote: »
    Stricker - Steady player, great putter, due a major, played well in the John Deere this week - 66/1.

Potter - Would be a big surprise if he won it but stranger things have happened. Won the Greenbrier last week and played well this week so high on confidence - 400/1.

The odds on Singh do seem very good. Surprised they are considering he is coming off a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

My picks are:

Westwood
    Tim Clark e/w
    Robert rock e/w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    The odds on Singh do seem very good. Surprised they are considering he is coming off a win.

Yeah coming off a win on links and had his best round on the Sunday when the wind was strongest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Just goes to show how Francesco has improved. This time last year we'd probably be saying he's the worst putter on tour, especially from 4-6 feet.

He's still outside the top 150 in putts per round, amazing really for a guy 2nd in the race to Dubai. He is second in greens in regulation though so 82nd in putting for GIR is probably a fairer reflection. Best iron player on tour imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

18-1 on pp for harrington 4th fav ,, is a joke 33-1 would seem fair,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Big Harry fan, but its crazy price for guy who has not won in 4 years.

Think he will do well though, but cant see him winning it.

Be only delighted if he proves me wrong.

Big Harry fan, but its crazy price for guy who has not won in 4 years.

Think he will do well though, but cant see him winning it.

Be only delighted if he proves me wrong.

i thinking the irish sites screw us to much on the irish players, time to shop around

i thinking the irish sites screw us to much on the irish players, time to shop around

Best price is 20/1.

He is 21 on Betfair and Betdaq so as we speak its bookie who has him best price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ormus wrote: »

also worth a punt at 100/1 for first round leader.
    made a good start last week, led in Portrush after day 1, and opened with a 65 in Malaysia back in April.

Best price is 20/1.

He is 21 on Betfair and Betdaq so as we speak its bookie who has him best price.

ya i was wrong, cant believe thats the best price, i do fancy him this week to go close,

ya i was wrong, cant believe thats the best price, i do fancy him this week to go close,

TBH I did think I might see 25/1 somewhere and expected him to be trading bit higher on exchanges.

Might back him in place market.

Do many of you do first round leaders market in Golf?

Care to share your thoughts?

Was thinking about maybe doing trail run to see if I could make a profit if I were to start betting on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

so far im picking mickelson 33/1 playing in the scottish open was a good plan as i feel it will help him get used to weather conditions here

as for people on about Harrington's poor odds in the last 2 majors he finished 8th in the masters and 4th in the us open and seems to be placing in the top 10 in some of the tournaments

Hococop wrote: »
    so far im picking mickelson 33/1 playing in the scottish open was a good plan as i feel it will help him get used to weather conditions here

as for people on about Harrington's poor odds in the last 2 majors he finished 8th in the masters and 4th in the us open and seems to be placing in the top 10 in some of the tournaments

does that warrant being 4th fav though, i dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

does that warrant being 4th fav though, i dont think so

my guess is he is finding form again and he has won the tournament twice before

I think Paddy has a decent chance of winning this week but there is much better value there.

I'd never back an Irish player (team) with an Irish bookie as the prices will always be lower because of their liabilities.
    Also applies for an English player (team) with an English bookie.
    Doesn't happen all the time but more often then not.

Narrowed it down to 12 players and hoping to half that my the time I put few bets on.

But, there is 1 player who I have to back at triple figure odds and that is Fredrik Jacobson. His form coming into this is 15-8-16 and has had two top-20 finishes in the Open in past 3 years.

Stan James have gone 7 places but prices not as big as PP (1 or 2 pips behind for the 1st 4 in the betting).
    Oddschecker have eventually changed the e/w terms for Boyles & Ladbrokes.
    Coral only firm with 5 places now.
    Some great value out there now as the firms all try to be best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Top 20:
    Thongchai 5/1
    Milkha Singh 5/1

I'm confident atleast one of them will finish Top20- both like links

Top European (Excluding GB&I)
    Bjorn @ 14/1

Good luck lads:)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Harrington @ 22/1 (B365) and Colsaerts @ 80/1 (Boyles)

I'll probably place my other two bets later on. Leaning towards Garcia as one of my two.

• Advertisement

wprathead wrote: »
    Top 20:
    Thongchai 5/1
    Milkha Singh 5/1

I'm confident atleast one of them will finish Top20- both like links

Top European (Excluding GB&I)
    Bjorn @ 14/1

Good luck lads:)

good value there, might follow.

Advertisement