Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Audiophiles' Lounge

• 28-06-2012 9:21pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭

7013621449_5a1e0e987e.jpg

Welcome to the Audiophiles' Lounge. An audiophile is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as:

"A person who has a particularly strong interest in the high-fidelity reproduction of recorded sound"

As a 'lounge', this thread has a relaxed mood, but its primary focus is on the discussion of high quality sound equipment.

---

Former thread title: I want some big, comfy headphones - Original post follows.
    [Today I come to you all with a mission, a mission to enlighten me on the world of fullsized cans...hubba hubba

I mostly listen to music (metal - death, melodic, progressive, heavy, black, thrash) on the move, so my focus for years has been portable headphones and iem's, I really have little knowledge on fullsized over ear cans, i'm ignorant to them in all honesty.

Doing a quick bit of research i've found the Audio Technica ATH-AD900 and the denon d2000 as potential suitors, but I need to broaden my horizons before I lay down any cash.

I'm looking for comfy, well built, warm/fun sounding headphones. I'd rather that amplification was not required (while this is something to keep in mind, I'm not against buying an amp as well). The headphones being comfy is quite an important factor, I want to be able to wear them for hours without getting fatigued. A detachable cable would be a welcomed bonus. These headphones will be used indoor only, they won't leave the room I listen to them in.

I don't have a budget as such, these are going to be a gift to myself so lets say €500 max, that's not a target by the way!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hope y'all can help me out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Sennheiser HD650 are recommended here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

silvercrest are the ones i have..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I don't think you need to look past the Grado SR 80's

With your budget you can go further up the grado chain but I don't think there's much reason to the SR 80 are fun/warm/comfortable. The cable is not detachable you should be able to pick them up for about 125 STG ish perfect for the music you listen to.

For the hd 650's your budget doesn't leave you enough for the sort of amplication required with the grado's you won't require an amp as they sound really amazing from any source i've thrown at them

enjoy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I modded my Ultrasone 900's with J$ lambskin pads and a Sennheiser HD650 headband and its super comfy, but they're heavy and can cause some neckpain after 8+ hours of wearing them.
    The sound is big and warm and the s-logic reduces ear fatigue over long hours of listening which is normally a problem with closed back headphones.

The Sennheiser HD650's are amazingly comfortable and light, but are opened back so let in a bit too much noise for me.
    The sound is a lot colder and lacking bass.

I'd highly recommend an amp for both, you're really not doing headphones justice without one.
    The http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/ is amazing value at about €235, its on my upgrade list as i feel my Fiio E7/E9 combo is lacking.

strange headband to choose for comfort ppc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll do some proper research on them tomorrow.

I amended my original post as I forgot one important thing, I'll be using these headphones indoors only, they're going to be my escape the world headphones so they won't be moving from the room they're in really - so open, noise leaking headphones are not a problem :D

ntlbell wrote: »
    strange headband to choose for comfort ppc

Its by far the most comfortable one i've tried, the stock one gets painful after long sessions.

You can see the headband fits nicely into the headphones in this picture
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1607850/photo.JPG

Get a nice headphone stand as well, don't want to be damaging your headphones leaving them lying around where they could take a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

My immediate thoughts were of Beyerdynamic dt770 when you listed your requirements, Mactard. It's bass heavy and meant to be very comfortable. They do require a lot of burn-in if you believe in that. A problem when you're researching them, is there are about 6 versions of it.

There is the pro and ml versions and all are available with difference resistance 32, 80 and 250 ohms. The low impedence 32 ohm version isn't meant to be as good as it's siblings so I'd look at the 80 and 250Ω models. The 250 will definitely need a amp and the 80 will probably need a small amp if you're using an ipod or similar source.

The difference between the pro and the normal model is from here:
    The difference between these two models though, is as follows:
    1. The DT 770 PRO has so called "Bass-Relfex-Openings" at the side of each housing to make sure the diaphragm can "breath", causing a better reproduction of low- and high frequencies (since the diaphragm can move a lot easier). A small amount of isolation against ambient noise has to be sacrificed for the better sound. The DT 770 M doesn't have these openings, therefore sounds slightly "thinner" (slightly less low end), but offers up to 35 dB(A) of ambient noise isolation. That's why the DT 770 M is prefererd by drummers (like the German drummer Ralf Gustke) or percussionists (like the young percussionist Farouk Gomati).
    2. The DT 770 PRO is equipped with silver velours ear pads for better wearing comfort and cooler ears. The DT 770 M is equipped with the so called "Soft-Skin" ear pads to provide maximum isolation of ambient noise.

Conclusion:
    DT 770 PRO is for studio use where sound quality has a higher priority than the isolation of ambient noise.
    DT 770 M is also for studio use, put for those to whom the isolation of ambient noise if most important.

The DT 770 M also includes the DT-Bag.

From reading other peoples opinions, the m is better isolating but it loses on comfort to it's pro sibling so look at the pro 80 or 250 versions.

Another one to read up on particularly if you want toughness is the German Maestro 8.35, they changed their name from these guys. This is them showing off their product's durability:

They're not meant to be super comfortable in their stock configuration but posters on head-fi recommend using beyerdynamic earpads to get that little bit extra comfort. Another plus is they're very easy to drive at 35 ohms.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Brief update, the Philips Fidelio L1 are leading the way....still a fair bit of research to be done though :D

Edit, not looking good for the DT770's, bass heavy cans aren't at all suitable for the type of music I listen to (high bpm + lots of bass = unenjoyable listening experience unless you're a bass fiend)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Yeah there is no getting away from the bass in reading any review about the dt770. I read NwAvGuy's review about of them and how it is affected by the source/amp and that the bass can be tempered providing the impedance is low. He raises the point that perhaps poor synergy of all the various components causes the boomy bass.

It might be worth having a look at other similar beyerdynamic models; 880 and 990 as they'd still have the comfort and build quality of the 770 and might have a more appealing sound signature.

• Advertisement

PPC wrote: »
    Its by far the most comfortable one i've tried, the stock one gets painful after long sessions.

You can see the headband fits nicely into the headphones in this picture
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1607850/photo.JPG

Get a nice headphone stand as well, don't want to be damaging your headphones leaving them lying around where they could take a knock.

Really? I find the hd's band can clamp a bit too tightly, maybe it's just my big head. phone's look nice tho ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭corpo3030

Are these big enough? 50mm drivers, I have a set myself, they cut off all outside noise too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-HAM5X-Xtreme-Xplosives-Headphone/dp/B004W73TCI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341411647&sr=8-2

Pretty good sound for the money and comfortable too, my ears are totally enclosed by the cans.

Thanks for the suggestion, having read through a handful of the amazon reviews they don't seem to be what i'm looking for. Outside noise isn't going to be a problem, and bass heavy cans are a big no no for my music.

Are you still erring towards the Philips Fidelio? They do look very nice. Much nicer than the Sennheiser HD650s.

Still edging towards the Fidelio's, from what I have read they have everything I want - but therein lies a problem, unlike all the other mentioned headphones the L1's are brand new, there's less research material to point out pedantic flaws :P as well as that I'm concerned about the cup size, giggity, i'm just not sure if their big enough, giggity giggity.

They are the front runners though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

HiFiman HE-400s!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Brian wrote: »
    HiFiman HE-400s!

ONE DAY THEY WILL BE MINE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

When they're $300 rather than $400 maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

+1 for Grado SR-80.

Been using my uncle's set for the past 2 days, and it's probably the comfiest set I've ever had on my head.

Obviously you also go even higher in the Grado chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Snegg

Have a look at the Audio Technica ATH-M50's.
    Amazing sounding headphones, top quality headphones and also pretty cheap!

• Advertisement

http://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Mad-Dog-Fostex-T50RP-Headphones
    These have been getting amazing reviews, some people have compared them to LCD2's
    I'm tempted to pickup a pair at some stage to give them a try.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    +1 for Grado SR-80.

Been using my uncle's set for the past 2 days, and it's probably the comfiest set I've ever had on my head.

Obviously you also go even higher in the Grado chain.

I agree, have Allesandros myself and they are so stupidly comfy. Also more than welcome to try them and the M50s is you'd like :)

Snegg wrote: »
    Have a look at the Audio Technica ATH-M50's.
    Amazing sounding headphones, top quality headphones and also pretty cheap!

These are closed. Closed are usually inferior to open at the same price range. I'm pretty sure he's looking for open ones too.

I have M50's and I love mine.

PPC wrote: »
    http://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Mad-Dog-Fostex-T50RP-Headphones
    These have been getting amazing reviews, some people have compared them to LCD2's
    I'm tempted to pickup a pair at some stage to give them a try.

They look to be closed too, are they?

Yes they are closed, but they are also planar magnetic drivers, so tings act a bit differently.
    These are similar to Smeggy's Thunderpants, but supposedly the sonic signature sounds a lot better.

Fostex TR50p's (which those 2 are based on) are very popular in the modding community at the moment and provide amazing value for money with a few tweaks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i have a pair of samsung head phones too very big and comfy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

marko93 wrote: »
    I agree, have Allesandros myself and they are so stupidly comfy. Also more than welcome to try them and the M50s is you'd like :)
    Thanks, but he's just after gifting them to me! :pac:

And yet another audiophile was born that day.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Thanks, but he's just after gifting them to me! :pac:

And yet another audiophile was born that day.

Before you dive deeper into this world here's some freindly advice from Gandalf.

35imsu.jpg

I wont feel like a true audiophile until i own $5,250 Stax cans . . .

One day!

• Advertisement

Morf wrote: »
    I wont feel like a true audiophile until i own $5,250 Stax cans . . .

One day!

Don't forget the other 15 grand for the amps, dacs and pure silver wire in super special covers.

Advertisement