Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    They released these songs one by one on Youtube over the past year or so apparently and they're all collected here. This is some good stuff.
    Yeah, their videos over the past few years got them a lot of attention. There was talk that they were a Karin Dreijer Andersson side project when they first started releasing their short videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭mosstin

600px_Dexys_One_Day_I_m_Going_To_Soar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Kiever Sher

Jesca Hoop: The House That Jack Built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

^^^ Caution advised^^^^^

Jim_Kiy wrote: »
    ^^^ Caution advised^^^^^

I don't see why.

• Advertisement

Well first there was no description of any kind.I might have being able to avoid watching it if there was a description.:)
    Second i fail to see how she might be considered alt/indie and I would call this music MOR or something.

Jesca Hoop
    Background information
    Born California, United States
    Genres Folk, jazz, blues, pop, experimental
    Instruments Guitar, vocals
    Associated acts Tom Waits, The Ditty Bops, Guy Garvey

wiki.com

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I do regret taking the thread into an offtopic discussion so this is my last post regarding Jesca Hoop.

Oh, you didn't like it, that's fine, thought you were offering a parental advisory type warning.

If you think that's MOR, especially with those lyrics, I don't know what to tell you. I was under the impression that music with an experimental strain would be seen as an alternative to mainstream content. Would you say Elliott Smith is MOR and non alt? Tom Waits too? PJ Harvey? Ect?.

Not that you will answer these, since you're done talking about my future wife, but just thought I would offer my take on things. I'll add a description in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

mehfesto wrote: »
    The new Cast of Cheers album is out 40minutes now.
    It's a cracker.

just got it, agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Is there ever going to be another The The album? I miss Matt Johnson.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

cranks wrote: »
    Just listened to this on Soundcloud.....'Mad Ted' but strangely compelling.
    Think I'll be listening again.
    Thanks for recommendation

Try using Hustle bones as an alarm clock. Amazing.
    Oh, you didn't like it, that's fine, thought you were offering a parental advisory type warning.

If you think that's MOR, especially with those lyrics, I don't know what to tell you. I was under the impression that music with an experimental strain would be seen as an alternative to mainstream content. Would you say Elliott Smith is MOR and non alt? Tom Waits too? PJ Harvey? Ect?.

Not that you will answer these, since you're done talking about my future wife, but just thought I would offer my take on things. I'll add a description in future.

In fairness she's nothing like those artists mentioned. Maybe a very watered down easier to listen to version of them. She's no different to say Devandra Banhart (not exatly musically more in realtion to the position to mainstream - off kilter folk or some such)

Also as an aside, you can argue that all the artists you mentioned are highly success mainstream acts: Elliott Smith performed at the Oscars and most of his albums are on a decent label. Tom Waits has a string of critically acclaimed albums and when he tours he's the dearest ticket in town. And PJ is the only person to win the Mercury.

• Advertisement

That's what I'm getting at mate, are they no longer alternative, musically, because they have had success? How can anyone deny that Waits is different than... everyone else? That's what we're looking for isn't it? I never meant to compare her to them directly but the way I worded that, I could see some confusion.

On Jesca, I'm suprised no one seemed to dig it, but, to be honest, off kilter folk seems like a very good description. But I thought this would be the place for that, too. I think her lyrics are a lot different, talking about broken arms winning love; suicide bombers needing hugs etc, but, yeah, that sounds about right. An MOR description just confused me totally.

Also I'm sorry for going all off topic within my first ten posts, but I do I like this kind of discussion. I'll stop with it now though.

That's what I'm getting at mate, are they no longer alternative, musically, because they have had success? How can anyone deny that Waits is different than... everyone else? That's what we're looking for isn't it? I never meant to compare her to them directly but the way I worded that, I could see some confusion.

On Jesca, I'm suprised no one seemed to dig it, but, to be honest, off kilter folk seems like a very good description. But I thought this would be the place for that, too. I think her lyrics are a lot different, talking about broken arms winning love; suicide bombers needing hugs etc, but, yeah, that sounds about right. An MOR description just confused me totally.

Also I'm sorry for going all off topic within my first ten posts, but I do I like this kind of discussion. I'll stop with it now though.

Nah a bit of discussion is always allowed in here. Don't worry about it. Not having a go but I found her a bit so-so. But you like her so we're all even!

I have since listened to some of her music..I admit she is good as I have watched videos like big fish but that post caught me out a bit.Think I just dislike her ..wouldnt be interested in pursing anything longterm.
    No personal offense implied and goes to show that opposing views can be rewarding.Sometimes there just isnt enough hours in the day to keep up with modern music.There was a discussion thread about what is alt and indie and what isnt ..its all very vague.

Anyone listening to this? Caught them live at the free gig in whelans..they where quite impressive but quite raw..loose the jumpers lads:)

http://www.breakingtunes.com/futuresapart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

alt-j.jpg

An Awesome Wave by Alt-J. Hadn't heard of them before picking up the album, easily one of my favourites of the year so far, some cracking songs on it. No Irish dates yet unfortunately.

Yeah this album is great. Caught them in Whelans this year and got a few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/phealy1982/sets/72157629074544322/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

New Metric album Synthetica is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 48 recordwatch

King Tuff released a new album at the very end of May 2012. The band has been described as having a garage-pop, low-fi sound (or so they say...).

Here's one track off the album entitled "Anthem".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Just in response to the Jesca Hoop conversation, I saw her play in Bristol two weeks ago to promote the new album, The House That Jack Built. She was phenomenal. Her voice is other-worldly. The new songs are more chorus-driven than her previous stuff and a bit poppier, but still pleasantly weird. I've given it a few listens now and have gotten hooked on a few songs but overall, I think it pales in comparison to the last two albums. Her second album (Hunting My Dress), for me, is a masterpiece so anyone interested in her should check that one out also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

twin shadow have a new album as do advance base (formerly known as casiotone for the painfully alone)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Really good lo-fi Indie album

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AndrewFla

alt-j.jpg

An Awesome Wave by Alt-J. Hadn't heard of them before picking up the album, easily one of my favourites of the year so far, some cracking songs on it. No Irish dates yet unfortunately.

Would also like to lend my support to this, one of the best albums this year!

Also, Glen Hansard, Rhythm and Repose. Definitly worth a listen, great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

3969658.jpg

Ty Segall Band - Slaughterhouse
    This just might be one of my favourite releases of the year so far. If you like your music with lots of FUZZ then this is the album for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

donfers wrote: »
    twin shadow have a new album as do advance base (formerly known as casiotone for the painfully alone)

This video needs to be posted...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

mehfesto wrote: »
    The new Cast of Cheers album is out 40minutes now.
    It's a bad christmas cracker joke.

Edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sheriffz

Foxygen - Take The Kids Off Broadway

http://foxygen.bandcamp.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jets Overhead - Boredom and Joy (released last Tuesday)

http://jetsoverhead.bandcamp.com/

Don't think it's passed Bridges as my favourite album of theirs, but it's not far off...

Review on Blinded By Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sparse

406265_10150967494053284_1984349293_n.jpg

The new Jogging album is streaming now on their bandcamp

http://jogging.bandcamp.com/album/take-courage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

New WHY? EP "Sod in the Seed"....there's rapping on it.

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/stream-why-sod-in-the-seed

I don't like the video much but the sight of the girl... (Liz?) from the band dancing her ass off is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

I'm liking Defcon - In binary shrines

instrumental Hazey, Psychedelic, Hip Hop based electronic music, similar to Flying Lotus (I prefer Defcon meself) I think he's from Belfast.

Have a listen here: http://ie.7digital.com/artist/defcon/release/in-binary-shrines

Advertisement